New Apple Watch pops up in Bluetooth database

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2023

As the expected Apple Watch Series 9 release date approaches the devices will pop up in more and more databases, with the most recent being the Bluetooth launch studio database.

watchOS 10 on Apple Watch Ultra
watchOS 10 on Apple Watch Ultra

The database contains a list of devices that release soon, so the Bluetooth Special Interest Group can keep track of devices that use the standard. Specs in the launch studio are light or non-existent, typically, and Friday's entry is no exception.

First spotted by MacRumors, the entries don't disclose any real information about the devices and existing watches. Instead, it is a single listing, talking about a "WatchOS Profile Subsystem 2023."

Apple Watch Series 9 and new Apple Watch Ultra

With the introduction of watchOS 10, you'd expect that Apple would be keen to make changes to the Apple Watch Series 9 to reflect the milestone. However, rumors have repeatedly indicated that the changes won't be that major for the wearable device.

The Series 9 is expected to be offered in 41mm and 45mm size options.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

What is anticipated to be a bigger change is the performance of the S9 chip. After relatively minimal chip improvements in previous models, the S9 is believed to offer a lot more performance by comparison.

An new Apple Watch Ultra is also thought to be on the Apple Watch update roster, but there's not much else to expect other than the chip upgrade at this stage.

A new Apple Watch SE is not expected in 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    Who needs a faster watch? Who really? Speak up and let me know what a faster watch will do to improve your timekeeping or anything else for that matter?
    ToortogTomPMRI
  • Reply 2 of 13
    II have a series 7 watch and ended up with the 41mm one.  I was hoping there would be something about the new Apple Watch to make it worth updating and getting the 45mm model guess i'll have to wait another year. 
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mayfly said:
    Who needs a faster watch? Who really? Speak up and let me know what a faster watch will do to improve your timekeeping or anything else for that matter?
    Faster is a misnomer. Faster means it can do more calculation. My wife's series 6 sleep app cannot track sleep stages minute by minute. My series 8 can. 
    netroxmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 13
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,026member
    mayfly said:
    I have a Series 7 and it is painfully slow to add funds to my transit card. I know it's on me but sometimes I will forget to add funds until I get to the train station and sometimes it's a matter of missing the train or not.
    mayfly
  • Reply 5 of 13
    JinTech said:
    mayfly said:
    I have a Series 7 and it is painfully slow to add funds to my transit card. I know it's on me but sometimes I will forget to add funds until I get to the train station and sometimes it's a matter of missing the train or not.
    What, they don't take cash at the station anymore?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Never had a slow watch. And no slow Mac as well for that matter. Waiting for a solar Apple Watch Ultra. Better focus on useable innovations Apple!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mayfly said:
    The faster you can complete a process the sooner you can go back to low-power mode; you can either extend battery life or make the battery smaller for reduced weight.
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mayfly said:
    The faster you can complete a process the sooner you can go back to low-power mode; you can either extend battery life or make the battery smaller for reduced weight.
    That's logical, but not really useful in the Apple Watch. Most people just put it on the charging stand overnight.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mayfly said:
    Do you notice that watch 7 has date stopped, stop watch counter stopped, waking up after 10 seconds? That’s because the watch is too slow to handle it, I guess. Thus, I don’t need a faster watch; I need a much faster watch.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,361member
    mayfly said:
    Who needs to justify wanting a faster watch to you? Nobody. You don't need a faster watch good for you. you want to tell everybody they don't need a faster watch? That's some misplaced arrogance.

dutchlord said:
    Never had a slow watch. And no slow Mac as well for that matter. Waiting for a solar Apple Watch Ultra. 
    I've never put enough demands on my watches to notice any slowness. If you've never had a slow Mac then you're a lightweight user staying behind the curve or a newer one. Macs have always been slow for moderate to heavy lifting. It's only the last decade or so they've been meeting and exceeding PCs at a lot of tasks.

I've alway liked the OS even back in System 7 days. When Apple broke 300MHz that was considered a huge deal. It was – for Macs. In the last Inel years and now especially with Apple Silicon there's no need to hang our heads. Slow Mac? I've had many. 

I don't expect a faster watch to open an app appreciably faster. That may happen but I'd expect it to do more and maybe even be a little more efficient with battery use. I only use the always-on mode on occasion because it costs me more battery than I want.

If Apple improves efficiency as they tend to do or has a bigger battery because of a smaller board, components or some magic smoke that's a win. Just not enough to get me to upgrade this time around. The watch seems to be pretty mature at this point, much like the iPhone. It doesn't surprise me that upgrades would tend to be incremental. The 14's satellite SOS feature took me by surprise though.

dutchlord said:
    Better focus on useable innovations Apple!
    FFS. Cook needs to higher you ASAP! Get Apple on track and maybe make them a profitable company that will sell some product before they become beleaguered. Hope he calls you before it's too late.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mayfly said:
    Do you notice that watch 7 has date stopped, stop watch counter stopped, waking up after 10 seconds? That’s because the watch is too slow to handle it, I guess. Thus, I don’t need a faster watch; I need a much faster watch.
    I have no idea what you're writing about.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    The Apple Watch might need a faster processor but what it really needs is a hardware update. The look is tired. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    maggot777 said:
    The Apple Watch might need a faster processor but what it really needs is a hardware update. The look is tired. 
    Well, stricktly speaking, a processor is hardware…