What Wi-Fi 6E in the iPhone 15 Pro means for you

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple is expected to upgrade the iPhone 15 Pro models to Wi-Fi 6E thanks to the new A17 processor, so here's what you need to know about the standard and why you should care.

Wi-Fi settings on iPhone
Wi-Fi settings on iPhone

Wi-Fi 6E isn't new to Apple products, but it hasn't found its way into iPhones yet. The standard is relatively new, and many users may not get much benefit from it just yet, but we've laid out why it's important even with Wi-Fi 7 on the horizon.

The standard arrived in homes via routers starting in 2021 from companies like Linksys and TP-Link. Apple didn't begin supporting Wi-Fi 6E until the M2 processor arrived in June 2022, which is used in current Macs and iPads.

The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max (or iPhone 15 Ultra) will use Apple's next-generation A17 processor, which is built on the same process as M2. That means these devices will support Wi-Fi 6E.

Those who purchase iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Plus will not get access to Wi-Fi 6E since they will use the A16 processor.

What is Wi-Fi 6E?

Routers rely on different bands to provide network connection over a Wi-Fi network. Wi-Fi 6 offered the 2.4GHz band and 5GHz band while Wi-Fi 6E expands on that with a new 6GHz band.

Channels up to 160MHz are also available with Wi-Fi 6E, which are useful for streaming content or VR.

Browsing on Wi-Fi
Browsing on Wi-Fi

New bands and channel bandwidth mean less congestion on the same network. In environments with many devices, Wi-Fi 6E provides up to 56 new channels and less interference.

Current Apple products with Wi-Fi 6E

Only products with the M2-generation processor has Wi-Fi 6E:

There are many non-Apple products with Wi-Fi 6E -- mostly Windows PCs and Android smartphones. Current game consoles missed the boat on this flavor of Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi 6E is still an edge case

Owning a Wi-Fi 6E product isn't enough, of course, you'll have had to buy into the standard via a new router. Since most people don't purchase a new router every time a new standard arrives (if ever) it is unlikely that most will benefit from this new standard right away.

Wi-Fi 6E is coming to iPhone 15 Pro
Wi-Fi 6E is coming to iPhone 15 Pro

There's a solid possibility that many people haven't even moved past Wi-Fi 5, previously known as 802.11ac. New routers or mesh networks can easily cost hundreds of dollars, though if you're reading this article, you're likely one of the few ready to take the plunge.

However, Wi-Fi 6E can't guarantee faster speeds just because of device support and a new router. The new, faster 6GHz speed only works when the device is close by and isn't cut off by walls or other obstacles.

In some cases, especially when discussing a desktop Mac, wired is still the better solution. If your router is placed in a convenient spot in your home, it could mean better speeds, but not always.

What about Wi-Fi 7?

Wi-Fi standards are updated on a regular basis, but it's best not to worry too much. Apple doesn't usually stay on the cutting edge of wireless standards, and available products at the forefront tend to be very expensive.

Watching YouTube Shorts over Wi-Fi
Watching YouTube Shorts over Wi-Fi

So, AppleInsider's advice remains as stalwart as ever -- buy what you need when you need it. Don't wait on some mysterious, rumored future product when the current one is likely already overkill for your needs.

Rumors suggest Wi-Fi 7 could arrive in an iPhone 16 Pro in 2024, but that isn't yet clear. Even so, Wi-Fi 7 routers have only just entered the market and run at an incredible premium.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    I have a WiFi 6e mesh router system, so it will be nice to leverage that capability.  Though, honestly, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make.  I just did a speed test on my older 12 pro and I'm getting 720 Mbps on that already. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    If I could, I'd ditch wifi in my home completely in favor of CAT5 ethernet cables. That wiring is something of a chore though. And all the little odds and ends at require wifi certainly don't need these uber speeds.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    eightzero said:
    If I could, I'd ditch wifi in my home completely in favor of CAT5 ethernet cables. That wiring is something of a chore though. And all the little odds and ends at require wifi certainly don't need these uber speeds.
    Why Cat 5 instead of 6 or 8? I only ask because I’m wiring my house this fall and the more knowledge I have, the better. 
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Japhey said:
    eightzero said:
    Why Cat 5 instead of 6 or 8? I only ask because I’m wiring my house this fall and the more knowledge I have, the better. 
    Well...mostly because CAT5 was the last thing I knew about. In other news, there are apparently CAT6 and Cat8 wires. I doubt they are easier to snake through walls though...
    mobirdAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Japhey said:
    I've just gone through this so allow me to share my knowledge.

Cat 8 is ludicrous overkill for any home or even office environment. It's really designed for connecting adjacent racks in data centres and is optimised for extreme speeds over short distances. It's very expensive, the range is not as good and it's unnecessary even for future proofing standards.

Cat 7 is a proprietary standard. Ignore it.

Cat 6 is faster (10gbps) than Cat 5e (1gbps) and is not prohibitively expensive. In reality using this is future proofing as it's unlikely you have internet that runs faster than 1gbps but to me it seemed worth doing. Cat 6a is the slightly newer standard which supposedly has lower crosstalk and I found it pretty much the same price as Cat 6 so I went for that.

Cat 5e is useful where you have really tight spaces because it is less rigid and more bendable than Cat 6. I've used this in a couple of places.

You can mix cables on your network fine (eg Cat 6 to run to a room, Cat 5 to run round a corner) although obviously the maximum throughput for any endpoint is going to be limited by the slowest point on the path from the router.

Two other tips:

- Crimping ethernet jacks is incredibly annoying and fiddly at first but then very satisfying when you get good at it.

- Think creatively about how to get your cables around. I struggled for a long time to get cable through my walls and floor from the front of my house to the back through a difficult spot - I ended up going outside and over the roof instead which was much simpler but not something which occurred to me for a long time!
    muthuk_vanalingamJapheyAlex1NFileMakerFellerdewmejony0
  • Reply 6 of 14
    eightzero said:
    Japhey said:
    eightzero said:
    Well...mostly because CAT5 was the last thing I knew about. In other news, there are apparently CAT6 and Cat8 wires. I doubt they are easier to snake through walls though...
    When our house was built back in 2010 we installed Cat 5e ethernet cabling. It works very well and I don't find I need the higher speeds.  Our internet comes from a 600mbps fibre optic cable. The biggest problem is that there are not enough sockets in some of the rooms, which is entirely my fault. We put in two point sockets at each outlet - next time I'd put four point sockets in the living room and office. Cat 6 was relatively new when we were building the house and it was easy to get structured cable with Cat 5e, co-ax and loudspeaker cable combined.

I think with Cat 6 it is necessary to avoid sharp bends in the cable which will make it more difficult to install (but please don't quote me on that as I am not an engineer).
    Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 14
    boulderer said:
    Japhey said:

Cat 8 is ludicrous overkill for any home or even office environment. It's really designed for connecting adjacent racks in data centres and is optimised for extreme speeds over short distances. It's very expensive, the range is not as good and it's unnecessary even for future proofing standards.

Cat 6 is faster (10gbps) than Cat 5e (1gbps) and is not prohibitively expensive. In reality using this is future proofing as it's unlikely you have internet that runs faster than 1gbps but to me it seemed worth doing. Cat 6a is the slightly newer standard which supposedly has lower crosstalk and I found it pretty much the same price as Cat 6 so I went for that.

Cat 5e is useful where you have really tight spaces because it is less rigid and more bendable than Cat 6. I've used this in a couple of places.

You can mix cables on your network fine (eg Cat 6 to run to a room, Cat 5 to run round a corner) although obviously the maximum throughput for any endpoint is going to be limited by the slowest point on the path from the router.

Two other tips:

- Crimping ethernet jacks is incredibly annoying and fiddly at first but then very satisfying when you get good at it.

- Think creatively about how to get your cables around. I struggled for a long time to get cable through my walls and floor from the front of my house to the back through a difficult spot - I ended up going outside and over the roof instead which was much simpler but not something which occurred to me for a long time!
    My .02...Another nice attribute of Cat 6 or Cat 6a over Cat 5e is Cat 5e is only 24AWG where as Cat 6/6a is 23 AWG. This little extra helps POE especially on longer runs. Just do the Cat 6/6A. 🍻
    Alex1NFileMakerFellerdewmejony0
  • Reply 8 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    boulderer said:
    Japhey said:

Two other tips:

Thank you for sharing all this. I’m probably going with Cat6a, but I’m still in the planning phase of deciding jack locations and wire routes. I have a couple difficult spots myself, and your last paragraph gave me a new idea. So, thanks again. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    Wifi 7 already? Gee my ISP only max out at 400
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I did cat 6.  It is more shielded , slightly thicker wire for long runs and future proofs you more for security Poe security cameras and overall more bandwidth.   I also pic up old apple routers on offerup for $20 and add them where the living room tv is, bedroom tv, and one around the patio area.  This gives me 3 additional gigabit ports on each wifi router for connecting to the TV/apple TV, HiFi stereo.  The one in the patio area gives me the wifi for the backyard area where the bbq parties are. I have it setup with the separate 5ghz channel to connect too and thats the only one I give out to the guests.  One day I’ll mesh network but so far for $60 I have a system that covers the house and gives high speed to the 4k streaming and 800mbs download speed for a low price.   A 4k stream usually averages 25mbps so for most people internet that is 300-500mbps handles everything in a home. Which the old 802.11ac standard handles just fine.
    edited August 2023
  • Reply 11 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    There's a solid possibility that many people haven't even moved past Wi-Fi 5, previously known as 802.11ac. New routers or mesh networks can easily cost hundreds of dollars, though if you're reading this article, you're likely one of the few ready to take the plunge.
    Still using my BGW320-505 Fiber modem as WiFi router. I believe it is 802.11ac.

The only real benefit that WiFi 6E would have for me is AirDrop, or data transfers, assuming compatible devices and they can do a direct link.

The most modern WiFi device in the house is my 17yo's M2 MBA. So, no need to move beyond WiFi 5 until more devices are WiFi 6E capable, which could be 3 years from now. Maybe 4. It's just going to stretch out.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I have whatever router my cable company gave me 2-3 years ago and it’s absolutely fine.
    edited August 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Japhey said:
    eightzero said:
    Having the ability to run Ethernet cable is a huge benefit.  When I built my house in 2019 I ran Cat 6 to every level and every room that I intended to have a computer or TV. With Ethernet and Apple TV or Roku you don’t need cable TV wiring or cable TV boxes unless you’re doing something like pay per view that requires a set top box. 

I’d also suggest thinking about the possibility of eventually using a Unifi or similar modular and scalable network solution that takes advantage of PoE. This means running Ethernet cable to the ceilings where you can later install separate ceiling mounted WiFi access points that can be tailored to your needs. Also consider running Ethernet cable to periphery locations and entries to your home so you can install security cameras and video doorbells. 

Having the luxury of running Ethernet cable anywhere is a rare thing. The reliability of hard wired Ethernet is hard to beat. Using Ethernet for WiFi access point backhaul is a better option than bringing an extra WiFi channel into the mix. No interference, obstruction, or line of sight issues with Ethernet. 

Once you’ve closed in the walls and ceilings your options for running wires declines rapidly. Try to anticipate your future needs. I planned my Ethernet wiring installation around the intention of using a full Unifi based solution. I am very happy that I did. Whenever I reach critical mass of WiFi devices that support WiFi 6 or newer all I have to do is swap out my access points. 
    edited August 2023
  • Reply 14 of 14
    In my home, my Internet service is a synchronous 1 Gbps. My router is a small, fanless PC with four 1 Gbps Ethernet ports running pfSense. The LAN port connects via a "trunked" 1 Gbps port on one of my Aruba S3500-24P switches. I have a total of four of these Aruba switches; two in my primary (48U) computer rack and one each in my home's insulated attics. All of these Aruba switches are interconnected with 10 Gbps links. I run CAT6A to the location of all fixed devices with Ethernet ports, including five Unifi 802.11ac access points. My home is not huge but I do have a detached garage which has its own AP and then I placed two in my front attic and two in my rear attic. By their placement, I can ensure even spread of the 5Ghz signal throughout the house and a data hog in the master bedroom will not affect another data hog in the front room.  

I currently have the Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max but in a few hours, I plan to pre-order the new 15 Pro Max... I've waited long enough to pull the pin.  I have done speed tests with my current iPhone and usually get between 350-400 Mbps up and down when on my home WiFi. For the purposes of speed testing, I have a VM running LibreSpeed, so I am not testing to a server outside the home, truly over the Internet, but rather an in-home speed server. I am tempted to upgrade my access points to ones that support WiFi 6E, but I am not sure it will actually accomplish anything. Would I actually see ANY benefit?