What the iPhone 15 Pro in gray titanium could look like

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple tends to go for one markedly new color for iPhones as a mid-cycle refresh, but this time it's expected to launch the iPhone 15 Pro in a new gray. Here's what it may look like.

iPhone 15 Pro in gray titanium (AppleInsider mockup)
iPhone 15 Pro in gray titanium (AppleInsider mockup)

Overall, the iPhone 15 range is expected to have one color casualty in that Apple may no longer include a gold version of any of the models. Beyond that, it's still going to be that the Pro models get a more serious finish and it may be that the regular iPhone 15 gets more vivid, fashionable colors.

So the latest rumors are that the iPhone 15 Pro will come in a darker blue, space black, silver -- and a natural titanium gray. There were briefly rumors of a dark red iPhone 15 Pro, though those seem to have faded.

None of this is certain, of course, and cannot be until Tim Cook stands up to announce "our best iPhones yet," but multiple and reliable sources are claiming it.

Of them all, though, it's the natural titanium gray that is most significant -- because of the material as well as the color. Apple has so far offered natural silver or Space Black titanium on the Apple Watch Series 7, though the Apple Watch Ultra also has a natural titanium color.

Consequently, bring that to an iPhone is a big change for Apple. Compared to an Apple Watch, an iPhone is quite a large device and back in the 1990s, Apple had problems using the material in the PowerBook. It wasn't specifically the titanium that was the problem, it was the paint and dye.

Presumably all these years later, those issues have been fixed. At the time, painted titanium tended to flake and wear very easily. It's possible that this is why Apple is choosing to offer titanium only in what's described as a natural color, so seemingly without paint applied.

It's going to be interesting to see how this titanium color fares, and especially so since it has seemingly replaced gold.

Even Apple can't make everything in every color it might want, though. And for all that he has now been CEO for over a decade, Tim Cook originally proved his worth at Apple by being brilliant at the logistics of manufacturing a product mix.

Beyond the color options, the iPhone 15 Pro is expected to switch to USB-C for charging, and to see speed improvements because of a move to the new A17 processor. There will also be camera improvements as ever, but this time seeing the iPhone 15 Pro Max gaining the long-rumored periscope lens for a significantly greater zoom.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 758member
    I like the idea of a natural titanium color. 
    jbirdiikun9secondkox2fred1jeffharris
  • Reply 2 of 25
    igorsky said:
    Same— just really not crazy about the large camera bumps/profile. But I know I’m in the minority. Giving serious consideration to switching to the next mini
  • Reply 3 of 25
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,291member
    Natural titanium gray can hardly be called a "markedly new color".
    newisneverenoughwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,104member
    Leftover materials from the 2001 Titanium PowerBook G4?
    newisneverenoughwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Yes, I’m very excited to see the ongoing development of the evergreen concept of the always impressive gray. Spanning the incredible range from an elegant silver to the richness of moondust and well beyond. It is with fascination that I await the real and final pseudo-color selections. I’m profoundly grateful that there is consistent resistance to what one may consider childish colors. We can be deeply thankful that the vision we may think of as grayscale rules the day. It calms the mind. 
    williamlondoncharlesnjeffharris
  • Reply 6 of 25
    It’s a super bland color, yuck. Then again, who cares? Who walks around with a $1200 phone without a protective cover?
    williamlondonAlex1Ndewmejeffharris
  • Reply 7 of 25
    M68000M68000 Posts: 745member
    It’s a super bland color, yuck. Then again, who cares? Who walks around with a $1200 phone without a protective cover?
    I know someone who does.   Not using a case makes the phone feel great,  but of course a huge risk if phone dropped.
    Alex1NSpitbathStrangeDaysurashidjeffharris
  • Reply 8 of 25
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 861member
    M68000 said:
    I know someone who does.   Not using a case makes the phone feel great,  but of course a huge risk if phone dropped.
    I stopped using a case when Apple switched to a flat-sided design with the iPhone 12 Pro. The flat sides are much easier to securely grip than the previous rounded sides, which always felt like holding a wet bar of soap. When you pay all this money to own a phone with beautiful industrial design, plus superb fit and finish, it seems a waste to hide it in a case. 
    danoxAlex1NSpitbathStrangeDaysurashid
  • Reply 9 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,906member
    charlesn said:
    M68000 said:
    I stopped using a case when Apple switched to a flat-sided design with the iPhone 12 Pro. The flat sides are much easier to securely grip than the previous rounded sides, which always felt like holding a wet bar of soap. When you pay all this money to own a phone with beautiful industrial design, plus superb fit and finish, it seems a waste to hide it in a case. 

The 4s iPhone, is nice that way, no case required.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 25
    That’s what I loved about Apples aluminum. Give me the natural metal color any day over paint and dye. 

It looks unbelievable, like s a highly engineered fashion statement. And it’s natural. So chic. 

So gray titanium? Heck yes. 
    gizmosf415fred1jeffharris
  • Reply 11 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,395member
    The flat sided phones like the iPhone 14s and the old iPhone 4 are still too slippery for me. I need a case with grippy sides. As far as color is concerned, there are plenty of transparent and translucent cases available. Even Apple sells transparent cases. 

Regarding the camera bump, totally despise it, but putting on a case that levels out the back makes the whole package way too thick and interferes with some MagSafe accessories. 

Face it, if Apple delivered the “perfect” iPhone we all wouldn’t be so eager to see what this year’s new model will deliver. They have to add just enough “design noise and compromise” to their quest for perfection just to keep us always coming back for more. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 25
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 124member
    A titanium gray iPhone—the missing fourth piece in my titanium collection:

• Litespeed Ghisallo bike
    • SR-71 Blackbird
    • Submarine (Russian, decommissioned)
    dewme
  • Reply 13 of 25
    igorsky said:
    Same— just really not crazy about the large camera bumps/profile. But I know I’m in the minority. Giving serious consideration to switching to the next mini
    I don't think you're in the minority. I've certainly never met anyone who is really crazy for camera bumps.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I care. I've never used a case and never will. I've also never dropped or broken any of my phones. It's like those tacky people why buy furniture and keep it covered in plastic. Or people who don't peel the plastic film off a brand new TV because they think it will make the thing last longer. What's the point of having nice things if you're going to cover it up? Take care of your shit and it will last a long time!
    urashid
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I agree with all of you commenting about the advantages of nude phones except for one thing. Motorcycle’s. I ride one everyday and I need my iPhone mounted in view for navigation. Hence I have a thick ugly Quadlock case on my 14 pro max. The only saving grace is that it supports magnetic charging through the mount. Works in the rain and solves the problem of water ingestion through the plug. I want an Apple solution to my mounting problem without a case. 
    M68000
  • Reply 16 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,893member
    If I’m just hanging out at home or going to dinner I have no problem doing just that. Going outside (pavement) or to a bar (booze), then I cover it. 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,893member
    dewme said:
    The flat sided phones like the iPhone 14s and the old iPhone 4 are still too slippery for me. I need a case with grippy sides. As far as color is concerned, there are plenty of transparent and translucent cases available. Even Apple sells transparent cases. 

Regarding the camera bump, totally despise it, but putting on a case that levels out the back makes the whole package way too thick and interferes with some MagSafe accessories. 

Face it, if Apple delivered the “perfect” iPhone we all wouldn’t be so eager to see what this year’s new model will deliver. They have to add just enough “design noise and compromise” to their quest for perfection just to keep us always coming back for more
    Can’t tell i’d you’re joking but no to that conspiracy theory. Reality is life is compromise, always has been, always will be. Even if it was thin and had flat cameras, there would inevitably be some new bit of tech or functionality developed to make it better. 
  • Reply 18 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,395member
    dewme said:

Face it, if Apple delivered the “perfect” iPhone we all wouldn’t be so eager to see what this year’s new model will deliver. They have to add just enough “design noise and compromise” to their quest for perfection just to keep us always coming back for more
    Can’t tell i’d you’re joking but no to that conspiracy theory. Reality is life is compromise, always has been, always will be. Even if it was thin and had flat cameras, there would inevitably be some new bit of tech or functionality developed to make it better. 
    Yeah, I’m joking. Perfection is unattainable. I remember an engineering manager early in my career who did a lot of hiring telling me that he was always dubious of job seekers who would describe themselves as “perfectionists” during interviews, as if it was something to be proud of. While the sentiment is admirable, working as a practicing engineer requires a certain amount of pragmatism and compromise if you actually want to finish a job. Being a good engineer, product designer, developer, product manager, etc., involves being very smart about where you allow compromise to exist and making sure you never compromise where doing so would doom the result.

Still hate the bumps, but the alternatives would obviously be worse or else Apple would not resort to requiring them.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member
    igorsky said:

I am with you, but I highly doubt there will be another mini.  And even if there is one, it won't be in premium materials like stainless steel or titanium.
    williamlondonjeffharris
  • Reply 20 of 25
    M68000M68000 Posts: 745member
    urashid said:
    igorsky said:

I am with you, but I highly doubt there will be another mini.  And even if there is one, it won't be in premium materials like stainless steel or titanium.
    Correct,  there will never be another “mini”.  However,  it is highly likely there will be smaller sized phone in a future SE.   In my opinion the name mini was a terrible choice for a smaller iphone.  It was a strategic error that mighty Apple has made.  I would say that right to Timmy Cook’s face if he was in feont of me.  A better name probably would have been iphone Lite for example.  Using the name mini implies something inferior, small or lacking.  Now,  on the reverse we have the possible name iphone Ultra -  that implies something great and desirable, whether it really is or not - LOL.  What great marketing hype the word Ultra generates.   Many people will think they need an ultra iphone when reality is the base model does nearly everything they really would want and costs less.  By the way,  anybody who values true one hand use of phone knows how great the ill fated mini really is.  Lol. I think Steve Jobs favored the use of phone easy to hold and use with one hand.   
    edited August 2023 williamlondon