Undercharged: iPhone 14 owners complain about lower battery endurance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    my iPhone 11 which is going on 4 years now has 82% battery health. i feel like i can easily go another 2 maybe 3 or 4 years on it
    byronlAlex1N
  • Reply 22 of 68
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    dewme said:
    I have noticed an infrequent issue with the latest iOS release version on my iPhone 14 Pro Max. What I’ve noticed a few times is my phone will go into a state where it jacks up the screen brightness beyond my selected level and run the CPU at a rate that causes the phone to heat up considerably. If it’s in my pocket will notice it immediately, but if it’s just sitting on a desk or counter I may not notice it for a while. It seems like it is in a thermal runaway state because the normally cool iPhone is unusually hot. If I restart the phone everything is fine.

I think there is a bug in the latest iOS version that is causing the CPU to get into a hot spin cycle. If you don’t notice it because you don’t have your phone on you where you can feel it, this would very likely drain the battery much faster than normal and heat up the phone unnecessarily, which is also bad for batter life.

Unfortunately I can’t get the phone into this state in a repeatable manner or else I’d submit a bug report. It has happened when running Maps at least two times, but it’s also happened outside of Maps. It’s only appeared in the last few point iOS updates. 
    I have a similar issue with screen brightness on my iPhone 14 Pro Max.
    I have my brightness setting on manual. The brightness level keeps changing from what I set it.  I’ve been to the Apple store twice, and they tell me there is a bug in iOS 16, and what they want to do is to wipe my phone clean, reinstall the software, and then back up my phone from my iCloud account. I’ve been reluctant to do that, as I’m not sure that will fix the issue, and there’s also a lot of work for me to get everything working again. 
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 68
    My 13 Pro Max I’m using at work is at 87% and I got it at launch. So a month shy of 2 yes and 13% loss, or 6.5% a year. I’ll check our 14’s when I get home.

On a side note, I saw someone conducting a poll online about whether or not Android should include this same feature so users can easily check battery health. Some Android phones have a similar feature, and there are Apps that try to guess your health, but nothing as accurate as the iPhone.

I have a feeling this is being left out on purpose so we don’t get a huge number of people with Android phones (esp those with fast charging) complaining about their battery health.
    williamlondonbyronlAlex1Nlordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 24 of 68
    My Xs is at 85% and I typically recharge it to 100% overnight. Always use Apple charger and cable. Not a heavy social media user but frequently use it for streaming music and video and web browsing. I do try to avoid using it when the battery goes below 20%. 
    williamlondonbyronlAlex1N
  • Reply 25 of 68
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    After 2.5 years, my 12mini (running iOS 14) was at 88%.  I unfortunately updated to iOS 16 a month ago and now I'm at 84%.
    Hmmmmm.
    williamlondonbyronlAlex1N
  • Reply 26 of 68
    still 100% for my 14 Pro bought 8th December. I use a shortcut to alert me when charge hits 80%, I mostly hear it and unplug. Battery has been much better than for my 12 Pro.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 27 of 68
    14 Pro already down to 89%. Bought right at launch a year ago. Never saw this drastic decline with any of my previous phones (I get a new one every year). 

I am also at 89%. I have to say Apple must have changed their battery supplier. My MBP 14 M1 is also 89% battery health with 261 cycles.
    I am very disappointed by obvious decline in battery quality for the last couple of years.
    ramanpfaffwilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 28 of 68
    phytonix said:
    14 Pro already down to 89%. Bought right at launch a year ago. Never saw this drastic decline with any of my previous phones (I get a new one every year). 

I am also at 89%. I have to say Apple must have changed their battery supplier. My MBP 14 M1 is also 89% battery health with 261 cycles.
    I am very disappointed by obvious decline in battery quality for the last couple of years.
    Er, hang on. 89% for 261 of 500 cycles sounds spot on schedule. Just done the maths: 89.65% is on target to hit 80% after 500 cycles.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 68
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    My 13 will be two years old next month, and is at 95%. I don’t use it too much at work, and I usually don’t charge it to 100%. If it’s at 80 that’s good enough. Also, I don’t charge it overnight, if possible. 
    edited August 2023 appleinsideruser
  • Reply 30 of 68
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    phytonix said:

Er, hang on. 89% for 261 of 500 cycles sounds spot on schedule. Just done the maths: 89.65% is on target to hit 80% after 500 cycles.
    It's supposed to be 1000 cycles for Macbooks.
    byronlAlex1Nappleinsideruser
  • Reply 31 of 68
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    My almost 2 year old iPhone 13 Pro is on 85%. However it dropped to 85% after about a year, and has stayed there ever since.
    edited August 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 32 of 68
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    Fred257 said:
    Seems like a repeat of battery gate again. 
    Seems like you don't remember WTH battery gate was even about...
    williamlondonAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 33 of 68
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    Interesting...I'm an iPhone 12 Pro and mine has a max capacity of 87%. I've never had the battery changed either. I'm thinking this is a software issue. 
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Around July to September every year, the oldest iPhone of my family (iPhone 11 Pro this year) becomes very hot after mid-night without any app running. Just 2 hours the battery drops from 90% to 30%. It’s a good system reminder that it’s time to buy a new one. I love Apple!
    Alex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 68
    My iPhone 12 battery dropped quickly too and I wondered if it had anything to do with primarily using MagSafe to charge the phone. 🤔
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Mine is at 87% and dies so quickly every morning.
     Can’t make it to lunch with more than 50% charge. 

I wake up around 8ish and by the time I leave the house I’m down to 85% battery from being at 100% when waking up. 

Also won’t charge past 80% in the car from the standard Tesla USBC outlet.  Says it’s too hot but the AC is set at 72°

williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 68
    14 Pro Max received on launch day currently at 98%.
    Not on social media or using Carplay, a few games several days a week, mostly reading email, news and AI along with many more texts than phonecalls.

Have experienced the rare “geez, why is this getting so hot” instances that disappear after an update.

Rarely use Magsafe, usually use my Satechi to charge to 85% and have hit 100% occasionally but try to catch it before that, trying to maximize battery life by staying between 40-85% charge. Just want to keep it viable until I replace it with a 16 or 17 whichever presents a nice upgrade from this very capable 14 Pro Max.

I’ve been here on AI since the days of my 4S, then a 6, but I’ve only started posting over the last couple of years when I felt I had something to contribute, not concerned about having a multi thousand # of posts.

And, as always YMMV.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamappleinsideruser
  • Reply 38 of 68
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    kdogg said:
    Mine says it's at 93% capacity, and I acquired my iPhone 14 Pro in September 2022. So it's less than 1 year old. I have noticed that at the end of the day I have to charge it where it used to make it through the day without a second thought. I'm not sure what changed, but something is really dragging on the battery, so if a bunch of other people are experiencing the same thing then yeah, sounds like there's a problem.
    Like the article says, Apple expects about 10% per year. You're doing slightly better than the average of what Apple expects and plans for.

There are loads of variables as it pertains to battery charging and life, and most of them are outside of the user's control. Some of them are even outside of Apple's control.
    10% per year seems quite a lot to me as my four-and-a-half year old XS Max is at 79%.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 68
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I got my iP 14 on the first launch weekend. It is still at 100%. I charge each evening with optimized charging using an Anker charger. Usually in the evening it is at about 80%. My iPad on the other hand gets drained and recharged twice a day.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 132member
    iPhone 12 Pro Max here, 33 months in use, battery is 83%. I charged nightly using cable until the socket started playing up after two years and switched to the MagSafe puck after that. I always have the puck uppermost to facilitate cooling while charging. Wired CarPlay is used several times a week (when the socket behaves - I did clean it thanks to advice here on AI, that improved things but it needs redoing). Most used app currently  is Messages (36%)  by at least 2x the next-most used, a weather app (Oz Weather) with rain radar at 14%, and 13% for Camera+ 2. Photos is half that again at 7%. And I try and keep the signal-to-noise ratio down a bit when on here (not always successfully).
    edited August 2023