iCloud+ gets larger storage tiers, but the lowest tier is still terrible

Posted:
in iCloud

Apple didn't expand the default and awful iCloud storage tier, but iCloud+ is getting significant boosts on the high-end.

iCloud+ gains new storage options
iCloud+ gains new storage options

iCloud+ got a last-second mention during the Wonderlust keynote, but very little information was offered. Apple is adding a 6TB and 12TB tier for customers with extensive data storage needs.

The previous highest iCloud storage a user could have is 4TB, but that's only after jumping through some hoops. Users needed to subscribe to Apple One Premier for 2TB then add an additional 2TB for $9.99.

Now, users can choose two new storage tiers in addition to their Apple One plan. Pricing wasn't shared for the new iCloud+ tiers, but it could be quite expensive.

With Apple One Premier, users will now be able to get 8TB total or 14TB total, depending on their iCloud+ plan.

Apple has only just revealed these changes, but the lowest and barely functional tier is still available. Pricing information and more will be shared on AppleInsider once it is available.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ciacia Posts: 256member
    $30 for 6TB and $60 for 12TB.  No discounts sadly.
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I think it's naive to say "but the lowest and barely functional tier is still available". I subscribe to the 99 cents/month for 50GB option and it works just fine for me and my spouse with lots of space leftover. Yes, the two of us share the 50GB option and we have space left to spare.
    baconstangappleinsideruserAlex1NStrangeDayschadbagjas99Alex_ViOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mSak said:
    I think it's naive to say "but the lowest and barely functional tier is still available". I subscribe to the 99 cents/month for 50GB option and it works just fine for me and my spouse with lots of space leftover. Yes, the two of us share the 50GB option and we have space left to spare.
    I think he meant the 5GB free tier wasn’t changed but is still available. 
    Alex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pichael said:
    mSak said:

If that's what he meant, then it should have been mentioned at least once in the article. The screen capture shows 50GB as the smallest option.

50GB is not "awful and terrible". That's purely subjective and doesn't belong in an AppleInsider article, unless it's marked as "Opinion".
    Alex1NStrangeDaysbeowulfschmidtmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I bet that cloud-to-cloud transfer / sync for photos and videos among multiple iCloud Photos Libraries of the same iCloud account or between two icloud accounts without involving download and upload are still not available. Surprise me and I’d be very happy!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Apple has never really got cloud storage. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mSak said:

You're exactly right.  The author has a bug up his a**e about the 5GB NON-iCloud+ free tier and he's letting that muck up the clarity of the article.   the 5GB tier is NOT party of iCloud+, which is what this article is about.
  • Reply 8 of 8

pichael said:
    mSak said:

The 5GB tier isn't an iCloud+ thing.