Inexplicably, there are two indistinguishable models of second generation AirPods Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

Hidden under cover of the iPhone 15 event, Apple debuted a new version of the second generation AirPods Pro, and the earbuds are not the same internally, identical externally, and have different features.

Any guesses on which version of AirPods Pro second generation these are?
Any guesses on which version of AirPods Pro second generation these are?

On Tuesday, Apple released the second generation AirPods Pro with USB-C charging case. That's a good move, given the USB-C charging case.

What's not a good move is now there are two second generation AirPods Pro models with different capabilities in the buds itself. And, they aren't distinguishable at a glance.

We and other venues noted on Tuesday that there are feature disparities, and an otherwise identical spec list. Both have the H2 processor, both have the same audio ranges, and so forth.

What differs is dust ingress protection -- which may just be from more testing on the existing design. What is not, though, is lossless audio in 2024 when the Apple Vision Pro ships.

We reached out to Apple about this and got no response -- which is normal, because it was a busy day. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman did, though.

Apple explicitly said to Gurman that "the new Vision Pro lossless audio feature for AirPods requires the second-generation USB-C AirPods Pro announced yesterday and does not work with the second-generation AirPods Pro from last year."

Why isn't clear. Perhaps it's a slight update to the H2 chip that gives the AirPods Pro the "revolutionary new format," or maybe it's an upgraded Bluetooth chip, somehow.

For what it's worth, this revolutionary new format delivers lossless in 20 bits at 48 kilohertz with lower latency than now, a bit short of Apple's lossless 24 bits at up to 192 kilohertz.

Whatever they did, all we can really say about all this is, if you have the 2022 AirPods Pro and the 2023 AirPods Pro, don't put them in a bowl and hope you get the right pair out.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Whatever they did, all we can really say about all this is, if you have the 2022 AirPods Pro and the 2023 AirPods Pro, don't put them in a bowl and hope you get the right pair out. 

Hehe…
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9

Hehe…
    Well, presumably, if you throw them in a bowl (which I actually do), they are in the case. The 2023 AirPods Pro case has a USB-C port, so you can tell the difference.
    cpsroBannedForFreeSpeechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    You could mark one pair so you could tell the difference. If you did mix them up you can tell the difference when you try to use them. Only one of the pair will connect. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,410member
    Given that the Apple Vision Pro already has speakers built-in, I’m not sure I should care about this in any way, shape, or form, because I’m exceedingly unlikely to buy an Apple Vision Pro anytime soon (more for lack of spare funds rather than lack of interest).

What I’m wondering, still, is if Apple will allow owners of the Lightning-based case to buy just the new USB-C case, and if so how much.
    Alex1NScot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 122member
    If the newest integration of AirPods Pro supports, lossless audio, but only for Apple vision, pro, then it wouldn’t make any sense for anyone to upgrade from the most current version??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Or you could just look at the model number under the buds (if no battery is left) or the serial in Bluetooth if there is power (touch the serial # in iOS 17 to see the case, left earpice, then right, in order).
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 431administrator

Hehe…
    I thought you were going to make a joke about not swallowing them, because apparently that's a thing that happens. A lot. 😬
    FileMakerFellerjas99appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    This is so bizarre I'm finding it hard to believe it's true. Even now Apple's website refers simply to "Airpods Pro 2" getting lossless audio next year and makes no attempt to call out that only the USB-C edition would be getting it... which they easily could have done by referring to them as Airpods Pro 2 USB-C or Airpods Pro 2.1. Of course, this is no big deal if you don't plan on spending $3K for the Vision Pro, but I don't understand changing an existing product in the lineup but keeping exactly the same name. I also wonder if this might mean that only the latest AirPods Pro 2 is capable of charging in the new USB-C case. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,386member
    In a related report another site says "Apple’s $19 USB-C EarPods apparently support lossless audio playback that works with Apple Music," a big surprise but welcome if true.