Hands on: Apple's new FineWoven iPhone 15 cases

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    doggone said:
    I don't quite get it.  
    #1 Leather is a by-product of the food industry.  I doubt that any more cows were needed to make the cases.
    #2 A recent study showed that leather watch straps hold significantly fewer germs.  I imagine that same goes for the cases.
    #3 Leather ages well, forms a patina and stays clean well.
    #4 Leather is water resistant.
    It’s not a “byproduct”, it’s a coproduct. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 25
    doggone said:
    I don't quite get it.  
    #1 Leather is a by-product of the food industry.  I doubt that any more cows were needed to make the cases.
    #2 A recent study showed that leather watch straps hold significantly fewer germs.  I imagine that same goes for the cases.

While it's true that the animal skins are a byproduct of meat production, the tanning process itself is highly toxic and not particularly eco-friendly, especially not on an industrial scale.  Many of the chemicals used in the modern tanning process, such as arsenic, are toxic to humans and wildlife.  There are numerous cases of various cancers in tannery workers.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 25
    What did apple do with their existing inventory of leather cases… landfill
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 25
    doggone said:
    I don't quite get it.  

While it's true that the animal skins are a byproduct of meat production, the tanning process itself is highly toxic and not particularly eco-friendly, especially not on an industrial scale.  Many of the chemicals used in the modern tanning process, such as arsenic, are toxic to humans and wildlife.  There are numerous cases of various cancers in tannery workers.
    Ya, and there’s NO toxic chemicals used in chip production or iPhone manufacturing. LOL

Ever heard of veg tan leather?!  In my leather shop, we exclusively use only veg tan or natural tan leathers.  Thanks for telling only half the story.
    edited September 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Got one. It's terrrrrrible. Returning it. Reminds me of the fabric of a cheap purse. I'm all for not using leather, but faux leather would have been far better.