iPhone 15 Pro Max delivery estimates hit October minutes into preorders

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2023

Within minutes of Apple taking preorders for the iPhone 15 range, the iPhone 15 Pro Max was selling out and delivery dates are being pushed back into November.

Apple's preorders started late -- two minutes late or so in the US and up to around six minutes internationally -- but for a very brief time all iPhones were listed as delivering on September 22. That's the date Apple announced they would, but it's not the date that stayed true for very long.

After moments, the iPhone 15 Pro Max delivery date slipped to saying "7-10 days," which could still mean September 22 but almost certainly doesn't.

Then just before preorders had been open for half an hour, the iPhone 15 Pro Max jumped to being available in "2-3 weeks." At 3:30 PM, the same models had delivery estimates into early November.

At time of original publication, both the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus continue to be available for delivery next Friday. The iPhone 15 Pro briefly and oddly changed to saying "5-7 days," but is now showing "7-10 days."

These are the dates for the base configuration of each iPhone 15 model, and the first color option listed by Apple. However, all colors and all configurations of the iPhone 15 Pro Max -- including the 1TB version -- are now backordered.

Apple never releases sales figures, nor production ones, so it's not possible to truly know whether the iPhone 15 Pro Max is selling out faster than expected.

However, it is possible to know that if users still want to get one before October, they need to try going to an Apple retail store on Friday, September 22, 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    I’m glad at least someone was able to get into the store and successfully complete an order.  By the time I stopped getting the “be back soon” message at around 8:20 and then get past the time out messages and session expired messages I was able to place an order…I think.  No order shows in my history so I’m not sure.  
    jamnapWhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 47
    That was the worst pre-order process I’ve experienced in years. Despite having all the pre-qualification stuff done (and waking on time for these stupid early morning pre-order launches), I spent a half hour experiencing various errors before it could even access my pre-order information. By the time it let me complete the transaction my estimated delivery was October 9-16. Very disappointing. 
    jfabula1LuLu88cbazzwilliamlondonWhiskeyAPPLEcidergrandact73bonobobcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 47
    davicon said:
    That was the worst pre-order process I’ve experienced in years. Despite having all the pre-qualification stuff done (and waking on time for these stupid early morning pre-order launches), I spent a half hour experiencing various errors before it could even access my pre-order information. By the time it let me complete the transaction my estimated delivery was October 9-16. Very disappointing. 
    Indeed same boat here. Hmmm the most valuable company in the world cannot even get it right…
    jamnapwilliamlondonWhiskeyAPPLEcidergrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Got my 15 PM order placed at 0809 (Florida) after same issues by many with "be back soon."  I gave up on the App, went straight to apple.com (turned off VPN), did not use my pre/order stored info, started from scratch and within 90 seconds got 15PM black 512 and paid with Apple Card to get 3% kick-back.  Delivery is on 22 SEP.  Am pissed I had to wait 8 minutes cuz then got stuck in traffic and late for work.  My manager at Dunkin Donuts was not happy, so I quit on the spot.  Oh well, at least I got my 15.  Will apply for a job at Apple Store.
    Spitbathwatto_cobrafrost_0ne
  • Reply 5 of 47
    And if you're with a carrier other than Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile, you can't pre-order at all. Not sure when they will add "connect to another carrier later" but it's not there now.
    jamnapStrangeDaysWhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 47
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    I had no problems. I’m on the Upgrade Program and set up my order two days ago. 
    My phone should arrive on the 22nd, at my door. 
    Pro Max Blue. 
    Website worked perfectly. 
    jamnapnapoleon_phoneapartigorskyjibSpitbathRonnnieOcaladanianradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Couldn’t place the order on the Apple Store app. After waiting 30 mins past the start time I went into safari to do it, and SOMEHOW it has placed the order under an old Apple ID I don’t have access to, even tho I confirmed Face ID to log into my current one. Yay. Oh, and ship date is October for the PM. 
    jamnapwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 47
    cbazz said:
    I’m glad at least someone was able to get into the store and successfully complete an order.  By the time I stopped getting the “be back soon” message at around 8:20 and then get past the time out messages and session expired messages I was able to place an order…I think.  No order shows in my history so I’m not sure.  
    Yeah I’m having this same issue. My order somehow was placed under my old Apple ID I can’t log into because of two factor phone number being old. I didn’t even log into this Apple ID. Have never logged into it on this device. Would love to know how this got mixed up because now I can’t access my order. 
    jamnapwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 47
    EddyMac said:
    And if you're with a carrier other than Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile, you can't pre-order at all. Not sure when they will add "connect to another carrier later" but it's not there now.
    Nope. I was able to order my Blue UNLOCKED 1TB 15 Pro Max by 5:15 with delivery next Friday Sept 22. I’m with Red Pocket Mobile @$2.50 a month via the T-Mobile network. Love it! I’m in California USA. Red Pocket Mobile Unlimited Talk, Text & Data is $10 a month on your choice of carrier.
    edited September 2023 jamnapStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Had the confirmation email by 14:05 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 47
    EddyMac said:
    Nope. I was able to order my Blue UNLOCKED 1TB 15 Pro Max by 5:15 with delivery next Friday Sept 22. I’m with Red Pocket Mobile @$2.50 a month via the T-Mobile network. Love it! I’m in California USA. Red Pocket Mobile Unlimited Talk, Text & Data is $10 a month on your choice of carrier.
    After chatting with them, I discovered that it's because I was trying to do the 0% financing through the Apple Card. Their terms have changed apparently, and they only do the 0% financing if you are with one of the big 3.
    StrangeDaysWhiskeyAPPLEciderchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I posted this a little while ago on a previous article here today, but no one seems to be reading that article so I’m reposting it here.

” Both my wife and I here in NYC, along with our daughter in Dallas Texas had problems ordering this morning.

despite being early and waiting for the store to open (late), the store app we were all using didn’t seem to want to process our orders. First there were problems in getting the store. Then finally, almost fifteen minutes later, there were errors telling us to try again later. Again finally, it began. At the very end when I was ready to double tap the button for Apple Pay to go through, I was told my session had expired and I had to reorder my phone from the beginning. My wife went through the same thing and then was told that Apple Pay wasn’t installed, so she had to pay directly with AmEx.

my daughter had the same problems I had, but was also finally able to get one. She got lucky and is getting hers next week. But because of the problems and likely because of the popularity of the model and configuration, mine won’t be arriving until between Oct 6 and 22nd. My wife’s between the 8th and 24th.

usually the store opens a couple of minutes late, but we’ve never had problems like this before. I would have believed the problems were ours but for my daughter, with a different account halfway across the country, also having the same problems.

anyone else here have problems?”
    bonobobAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 47
    I tried different ways on my iPhone and Mac to finish my order.  I had preregistered the iPhone and got online at 4:45 AM Mountain time.  With the site being opened at 5:00 AM  Nothing worked until I decided to go online and put in another preorder.  When I did, it took me to my preorder and I was able to complete my order at 5:24 AM.   Glad I decided to try this way else I would be still waiting as the screens did not change.  What I don't get is that Apple has gone through this for years and still can't get it right.  There is no excuse for this.  Apple takes so much time telling us about how ecologically friendly they are.   Why not spend some time and money on making the entire order process more customer-friendly?  After all, your customers are the ones that are paying for all of this. 
    harmsway
  • Reply 14 of 47
    15 ProMax Natural Titanium 256 Gb. Ordered at 10:20 EDT and my delivery is 6 November. All other colors were available in early October. BTW, I tried to order for Verizon and order went to a blank page. Backed out and reset to “Add to ny carrier later” and it went through perfectly.
    edited September 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47
    EddyMac said:

I was able to choose Connect to another carrier later. In fact, I had your problem but only while choosing Verizon. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 47
    y2any2an Posts: 189member
    Since no-one knows the pre-order inventory level, I t’s kind of silly to get excited about delivery dates starting to slip…
    designrAlex1Ngatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 47
    EddyMac said:
    EddyMac said:
    After chatting with them, I discovered that it's because I was trying to do the 0% financing through the Apple Card. Their terms have changed apparently, and they only do the 0% financing if you are with one of the big 3.
    Just confirmed it in app. Man, that is lame. Why should my Apple credit card be tied to the 3 big carriers!?
    edited September 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Was on promptly waiting at 8:00 am EDT. Like all, i got the “We’re getting ready” message. Then switched to the browser. I had set up my order in advance (for 2 Pro Max for me and wife). I clicked both links and just let it sit (it refreshed on its own). This was on Mac Mini.
    In parallel i used the App Store on my iPad and connected through cellular. Same message. I let it all sit while i did some other things. First to come up to the site was the iPad Apple Store app. But every time i tried my preset order, it just skipped back to the main page.
     I was about to walk through a manual new order when my Mac mini screens both popped to life prepopulated with the preset orders. Clicked through both and got 2 15PM - White and Blue Titanium both delivering Sep 22. All completed by about 8:12 am EDT I have seen commonly here and there that 5:10 PDT seems to be the popular time people got in.
     I couldn’t help but wonder if what apple experiences here is similar to a DDoS attack? Just too many people hitting the site at the exact same moment cripples it. I am guessing apple has some kind of failover that redirects traffic rather than crashing their site? Once the initial rush is over, things settle back to a manageable level. Don’t crush me here. I know I don’t know what i am talking about (lol). Just speculating a little.
    edited September 2023 Graeme000Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 47
    davicon said:
    I liked the way they let us pre-set the order. That was loads better than summer 2021 where the M1 iPad ordering was a nightmare. I set up my order 3 times before it finally let me finish it. I wasted 20 minutes trying over and over again. This was more just waiting for the site to respond. Once i got preset order to load, it was confirm, confirm, confirm, done.
    Thinking about site traffic, i have to believe having a few million people do all that active choice and option selection in advance meant more people just like me - connected to the site for 1 minute or less vs the time it can take to chip through all the selections, then go to pages for shipping, payment, etc. On the preset, that was all done in advance and ready to go. I think it was a good call by apple to do that.
     The only companies i can think of who have to deal with this kind of traffic in one instant are concert ticket sites. And I bet this traffic still dwarfs that a by few orders of magnitude. I am not sure there IS a way to do this any better. I think it’s light years from camping out in front of the Apple Stores 10-15 years ago. Lol
    edited September 2023 Graeme000watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 47

Apple's preorders started late -- two minutes late or so in the US and up to around six minutes internationally -- but for a very brief time all iPhones were listed as delivering on September 22. That's the date Apple announced they would, but it's not the date that stayed true for very long.

Not sure where you get those very specific numbers, but from my own experience and reading among the forums, "up to around six minutes internationally" is pretty optimistic. My experience through the web and app was 20 minutes.
    bonobobwatto_cobra