Apple rolls out iOS 17.0.1, iPadOS 17.0.1, watchOS 10.0.1 updates

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2023

Apple has taken the unusual step of releasing an update just days after a major release, with watchOS 10.0.1, iOS 17.0.1, and iPadOS 17.0.1 now available with the set again patching a trio of exploited security flaws.

watchOS 10
watchOS 10

Generally, sub-point updates like Thursday's updates contain urgent fixes, or security updates. These updates go beyond the normal "this update includes bug fixes and security security updates" alert, though.

The updates fix a certificate validation issue, coupled improved checks for the three updates. All told, CVE-2023-41991, and CVE-2023-41992, plus a WebKit bug were addressed again with the patch.

The iOS 17.0.1 and iPadOS 17.0.1 updates are both build number 21A340. The watchOS 10.0.1 update holds build number 21R360. A special iOS 17.0.2 build is also available for the iPhone 15 models, with build number 21A350.

Both are very small increments from the initial releases from Monday.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ...And this is why some of us just wait it out for a little while, probably skipping x.0.0 versions. 

"You go first, Indy!"
    TomPMRIlesterkrimbaughAlex1Nbyronlbeowulfschmidtjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I really, truly love AppleInsider for giving out build numbers in their articles, unlike MacRumors. I have had serious issues with MR mods about it, to the point that I was banned. Simply because we did not see eye to eye on what constitutes necessary info in an article of this nature. 

Thank you AppleInsider, for giving out build numbers. This way, I can immediately know if I want to update right now.
    muthuk_vanalingamappleinsideruserdewmeAlex1Nbyronllotonesjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ciacia Posts: 257member
    I've had some minor issues with 17.  Dictation didn't seem to work at all.  A few times yesterday my fashlight randomly will shut off when in use, and won't turn back on even when you toggle the software on/off switch. Have to reboot the phone to get flashlight working again.

No deal breakers, but certainly looks unpolished as releases go.
    Alex1Nbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    It may be just an x.0.1 update but the iOS package is still 346 MB, sheesh. 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macbootx said:
    It may be just an x.0.1 update but.....

Android users would wait 18 months for this.
    macxpressdewmeAlex1Nbyronlbeowulfschmidtlotonesjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kkqd1337 said:
    macbootx said:
    It may be just an x.0.1 update but.....

Android users would wait 18 months for this.
    If they got it at all...
    AfarstarAlex1Nbyronljony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Let's hope I can now pick up an incoming call again (was broken for me in ios 17.0.0)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I've been in contact with Apple since the 17.0.0 update. Siri doesn't complete any commands, and the text search doesn't work in contacts. I can only search contacts with Siri turned off.
    They contacted me to let me know that an iOS 17.0.2 update is being released tonight, hot on the heels of 17.0.1. I suspect some engineer in Apple may be asked to please explain.
    edited September 2023 byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jcbigears said:
    I've been in contact with Apple since the 17.0.0 update. Siri doesn't complete any commands, and the text search doesn't work in contacts. I can only search contacts with Siri turned off.
    They contacted me to let me know that an iOS 17.0.2 update is being released tonight, hot on the heels of 17.0.1. I suspect some engineer in Apple may be asked to please explain.
    I hope his manager will explain why it wasn't tested.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jcbigears said:
    I suspect some engineer in Apple may be asked to please explain.
    There are a number of potential points of failure for this sort of thing, from the story boarding all the way to the final integration testing.  And every one who's ever worked in development and QA expects these sorts of things to pop up in nearly every release.  The solution is not to resort to some kind of punishment (unless the problem is repeated and egregious), but to fix wherever that failure point is so that it doesn't happen again.  And then move on.

watto_cobra