iPhone 16 rumored to gain new capacitive 'Capture Button,' updated Action button

Posted:
in iPhone

A new rumor suggests an additional "Capture Button" could be included on iPhone 16 models under the sleep/wake button but be capacitive.

Action button
Action button

Apple allegedly planned to use capacitive buttons on iPhone 15, but the feature was abandoned sometime in development. A new rumor suggests capacitive buttons could still happen, but the implementation differs from what was previously rumored.

According to an anonymous source speaking to MacRumors, a new capacitive "Capture Button" would be added to the iPhone 16 below the sleep/wake button. It isn't clear what function this button would serve, but its name suggests a dedicated camera shutter.

In addition to the "Capture Button," the Action button would be updated to be capacitive. The sleep/wake button and volume buttons would remain mechanical buttons.

The mmWave cutout below the sleep/wake button would move below the volume buttons on the opposite side. Devices with a physical SIM slot will also have this new arrangement.

The new capacitive buttons could have pressure sensors that respond to the amount of force being used to press the button. Such a sensor could reduce accidental button presses.

The source says the "Capture Button" is called "Project Nova" internally, while the capacitive transformation of the Action button is called "Project Atlas." The previous "Project Bongo" referred to using capacitive buttons for the remaining buttons.

If this rumor is accurate, it would mean iPhone 16 will have the highest number of elements on the outer frame ever. For iPhones sold outside of the United States, one side would have a capacitive Action button, volume buttons, a SIM tray, and the mmWave cutout.

This design is possible if busy for a company like Apple. The source is unknown, so the history is difficult to determine for rating this rumor -- therefore AppleInsider rates this rumor as possible.

Rumors for the iPhone 16 lineup include larger display sizes, Tetraprism 5x zoom cameras for both pro models, and a new camera arrangement for non-pro iPhones. The iPhone 16 lineup is expected to be revealed in September 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,385member
    We need a reprieve from iPhone 16 talk.  Seriously. Most people are still playing the waiting game for the iPhone 15.

Now I know full well you news people need to make money by releasing new stories.  And Apple rumors unfortunately has become a major part of that because it feeds selfish human nature to want, want, want. But here's the crux.  Many people get disappointed with Apple product releases only because they read the tech media stories, learn pretty much everything about a new device BEFORE it is released, and then on the day of the announcement they come away not surprised at all and somewhat disappointed.  Had the stories and rumors not existed, people could finally be pleasantly surprised and overjoyed at the update announcements once again.  That's right, there once was a time when we actually were surprised by Apple and those really were the Good Old Days!

All the leakers and analysts who feed the rumor sites non-stop need to crawl back into their holes and stay there.

If I could wave my magic want and make all the iPhone 16 talk vanish worldwide for the next 6 months at least, I'd do it.  We need to focus on what we have, which is great, by the way.  There will always be something newer and better, but let's just slow down and enjoy what's before our very eyes.

Lastly...

Tim Cook, people shouldn't have to wait more than 1 month for a phone that costs well over $1,000.  Not everyone can or wants to buy from a wireless carrier, which were allowed to buy up most of the iPhones and who made everyone else wait as a result!  Fix that!
    neoncatdewmeFileMakerFellerAlex1Ntyler82Anilu_777
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,515member
    jdw said:
    We need a reprieve from iPhone 16 talk.  Seriously. Most people are still playing the waiting game for the iPhone 15.

Now I know full well you news people need to make money by releasing new stories.  And Apple rumors unfortunately has become a major part of that because it feeds selfish human nature to want, want, want. But here's the crux.  Many people get disappointed with Apple product releases only because they read the tech media stories, learn pretty much everything about a new device BEFORE it is released, and then on the day of the announcement they come away not surprised at all and somewhat disappointed.  Had the stories and rumors not existed, people could finally be pleasantly surprised and overjoyed at the update announcements once again.  That's right, there once was a time when we actually were surprised by Apple and those really were the Good Old Days!

All the leakers and analysts who feed the rumor sites non-stop need to crawl back into their holes and stay there.

If I could wave my magic want and make all the iPhone 16 talk vanish worldwide for the next 6 months at least, I'd do it.  We need to focus on what we have, which is great, by the way.  There will always be something newer and better, but let's just slow down and enjoy what's before our very eyes.

Lastly...

Tim Cook, people shouldn't have to wait more than 1 month for a phone that costs well over $1,000.  Not everyone can or wants to buy from a wireless carrier, which were allowed to buy up most of the iPhones and who made everyone else wait as a result!  Fix that!

I have to agree. We haven't even received or opened our Christmas presents for this year and we're already being bombarded with folks telling us what we should put on our wish list for next year's Christmas.

As far as the pre-release spoilers and inevitable delays in obtaining the most popular newly released products is concerned, all you can really do is to recalibrate your consumption model and expectations. It is possible, but not easy, to avoid reading all the speculation around the "next greatest thing" in the pipeline and you can delay your product upgrades to occur on your own timeline, sometime after the initial crush of orders that predictably happen in the weeks after release.

Easier said than done because the speculation cycle for the "n+1" product version starts even before the "n" version is publically announced. Apple product and feature speculation has become an industry in and of itself. It's unbounded by the physical and time constraints the actual product developers have to contend with. With such a vast supply chain the probability of something leaking out into the Apple Product & Feature Speculation Industry with its vast network of media outlets and rabid prognosticators seeking affirmation is nearly impossible to contain.

I have managed to delay my last few Apple purchases for about 2-3 months post release, just to let things cool off a bit and to let the hysteria subside. It has not been a complete success because Apple's supply chain still isn't firing on all cylinders. If you stray too far away from the base or more popular configurations on some Apple products you may still have to wait even after you've waited. 

If you see the configuration you want on Amazon it's highly likely you can walk into an Apple Store and bring one home that same day. I was able to get an iPhone 14 Pro Max with 512 GB storage the next day, but the Mac Studio with 2 TB storage and MacBook Air with 2 TB storage required a couple of weeks even after the initial 2-3 month surge should have subsided.  If you think Tim Cook should be held accountable for making some people wait weeks for $1,000 plus iPhones, imagine the people who waited 2-3 months for a $5,000 plus Mac Studio, which is what quite a few Studio Ultra buyers had to contend with.

All I can say is that Apple's version of just-in-time manufacturing isn't always calibrated against the same time reference that its customers expect.
    Alex1NjdwAnilu_777williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 214member, administrator, moderator, editor
    I totally get what you guys are saying, I do. Really.

But we report the news around Apple, and rumors are news. We're not going to skip a story because it's "too soon." We cover it because it is newsworthy.

It's like you guys are asking a news channel to hold off on hurricane coverage because we just had one last week. (not equating iPhone rumors to hurricanes lol)
    Alex1Nradarthekatmuthuk_vanalingamWhiskeyAPPLEciderwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jdw said:

Lastly...

When demand is high, and there are only so many units made pre-sale by factories working 24x7, what more do you expect to happen? You can wait, such is life.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Does anyone know if the action button can bring up the home screen like the old home buttons? I'm still using an SE and would like to upgrade but want a button that I can feel without looking at my phone that can bring up the home screen.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,385member
    jdw said:

Lastly...

When demand is high, and there are only so many units made pre-sale by factories working 24x7, what more do you expect to happen? You can wait, such is life.
    Of course people can wait, but that's utterly missing the point.

WIRELESS CARRIERS, not just a bunch of individual consumers, are buying up the phones in enormous batches, making it harder for individuals to buy them.  I ordered my iPhone 15 Pro Max shortly after the announcement here in Japan via Apple Japan and it won't ship until the very end of October or first part of November.  My daughter bought that exact sample model iPhone through T-mobile in California and she got it in less than a week.  This isn't the only story that proves what I am saying is true.  So no, it's not merely a case of "high demand" and "factories working 24x7."  Factories are working 24x7 to fill those carrier orders before consumer orders. Carriers are given the priority by Apple.  And who runs Apple?  Mr. Cook. So I have zero regrets about what I wrote in my previous post and stand firmly behind it.  And that is true even though "I can wait."  Indeed, I am waiting, and fairly patiently too.  (You cannot read my facial expressing when I type text, friend.  And the tone of my words isn't always telling either.)

And I'll top it off with this.  I absolutely LOVE Tim Cook.  When people say he's trash compared to Steve Jobs, I profoundly disagree with those uninformed people.  It's clear none of them have AAPL stock.  Every single person on this planet who owns AAPL should thank Tim Cook.  And I do.  But that doesn't mean I cannot call out the gentleman on letting carriers manipulate the market post-announcement.  Apple can and does regulate the distribution.

But this iPhone wait time is not a major complaint on my part. Consider well I reserved it to the closing paragraph of my earlier post.  I had a bigger complaint when I had to wait 3 months to get my M1 Max 16" MBP!  That was horrible, especially because wireless carriers didn't influence that at all.  It was stupid COVID affecting factories in China!
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,690member
    If this just going into development now would this be in next year's iPhone 16?

PS: I can't wait for the physical SIM tray to removed from every device. Such a waste of space.

jdw said:
    1) I fail to understand why $1000 (USD presumably) is some sort of demarcation point for having to wait for a product. Not that it's comparable to a mass produced smartphone, but anecdotally the more expensive the item the longer I've had to wait for it.

2) LOL Based on Cook's long history with Apple every fiber in his being is trying to sell as many devices as the market will bear. That means making sure sourcing, production, distribution, and everything else in-between are as efficient as possible. I recall many years ago Jean-Louis Gassée talking about Apple many parallel assembly lines in one of his MondayNotes articles. I can't find that, but I did find the article below which says there are 94 parallels lines producing 350 devices per minute or about a half million per day. This was 2016. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/technology/iphone-china-apple-stores.html
    edited September 2023 williamlondonmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    You write: “ For iPhones sold outside of the United States, one side would have a capacitive Action button, volume buttons, a SIM tray, and the mmWave cutout.”. iPhones some OUTSIDE the US do not get mmWave. So unless you know something about worldwide carriers that we don’t I think that’s an error there. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,770member
    If this is a “capture button”, then I imagine it would also be a camera shortcut. That would give nearly instant access to the camera at all times, saving us a precious 2 seconds of fumbling around. That could be pretty cool. 
    edited September 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,871moderator
    Uh oh, I think Apple transferred the Touch Bar team over to work on the iPhone.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sc_markt said:
    Does anyone know if the action button can bring up the home screen like the old home buttons? I'm still using an SE and would like to upgrade but want a button that I can feel without looking at my phone that can bring up the home screen.

No, there are a million videos on YouTube that show exactly what that button does check out a few and it’ll inform you so you can make a well informed decision on your next iPhone purchase 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra