iPhone SE 4 detailed in new anonymous leak

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple's generally under-featured and inexpensive iPhone SE could get quite the update for its fourth generation, says anonymous leaker, claiming Face ID, USB-C, Action button, OLED, and more.

iPhone SE 4 could look like iPhone 14
iPhone SE 4 could look like iPhone 14

The iPhone SE 4 has somewhat been an anomaly for the rumor cycle. It's been canceled at least once, called a testing tool for modem development, and has taken on several different designs.

The latest leak info dump comes from an anonymous source speaking to MacRumors. It seems Apple is at least testing several significant upgrades for the iPhone SE 4, but it isn't yet clear what will be available at launch.

According to the source, here's everything being tested for iPhone SE 4, codenamed Ghost:

• iPhone 14 chassis

• Action button

• USB-C port

• Single 48MP rear camera

• OLED display

• Face ID

• In-house 5G modem

Since it is using an iPhone 14 chassis as the basis of its design, the iPhone SE 4 wouldn't have the curved edges found on iPhone 15. Also, Apple hasn't finalized the camera bump design, which could be either a single bump or a plateau housing the camera and flash.

If these upgrades sound too good to be true, it's because they do -- if Apple released this product today. iPhone SE 4 is due in 2024 or 2025, and many of these upgrades may still feel fresh now but could become cost-effective by release time.

We could easily foresee an iPhone SE 4 being an iPhone 14 with USB-C, OLED, and Face ID. The inclusion of the 48MP sensor and the Action button are the more questionable portions of this rumor.

The 48MP sensor is getting cheaper to manufacture and has trickled down to the iPhone 15, but that doesn't make it cost-effective for a budget model yet. That could change in a year.

The Action button is the oddest aspect of this rumor. It's only available on iPhone 15 Pro models and would require additional modifications to the iPhone 14 design -- adding to costs.

However, Apple could move the Action button to be a feature for all devices in 2024 and include it in the base iPhone 16. Then, it could come to iPhone SE 4 when it launches.

Since the source is anonymous, it is difficult to grade the accuracy of this rumor. It doesn't go out of its way to add anything outlandish and is in line with other reliable sources, so we've rated it possible.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,352member
    I’d rate this as “very doubtful” — although having essentially an iPhone 14 for an iPhone SE price would be lovely, the costs you point out would mean the SE would be a) larger, which is not really what the audience for it wants, and b) more expensive, which the audience for this REALLY doesn’t want.

A “value” iPhone should be as small and cheap as Apple can make it. It makes it affordable, and once they have an iPhone it’s probably just a matter of time before they upgrade to the full-size iPhones.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Don't want the SE to get any larger. The only, and I mean the only, reason I have for owning an SE is the size, which allows me to fit it sideways in exercise jersey pockets, so it doesn't flip out from hitting bumps on a bike ride, or impacts when running. That's it. And if it gets any larger, I suppose I'll keep my 2020 until there are no more OS updates. Then I'd probably get a cellular watch and leave the old SE at home, rather than buy a bigger phone. You hear that, Apple? 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    At some point, why do the SE at all and just use the previous year non-pro phone? The 14 didn’t have USB-C either so that would be another modification to the chassis besides action button. What about mag-safe? It is weird having a phone without it. I did the magnet sticker thing on my case  to allow my SE3 use our holder and help with alignment. I know there was always a point when fingerprinting was going away, I chose the SE for cost and fingerprint ability. 

It will be nice to standardize on one cable though. 
    edited September 2023
  • Reply 4 of 10
    These rumors seem pretty out there for a SE. action button, OLED, etc? 

I can see Apple updating with USB-C and maybe a single 48 mp camera. Face ID could finally come too. Hopefully if they move to the all screen design the use the iPhone mini as the basis and not the standard 14.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Please make it the size of iPhone 13 Mini (or even better the same size as the first iPhone SE) and make it optional to use Deep Fusion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,668member
    Is not an iPhone SE with FaceID and an updated processor really an iPhone mini?  

I guess if it has less than 2 cameras it’s still an SE.   But the 3% can have their mini iPhone.   
    edited September 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,365moderator
    eriamjh said:
    Is not an iPhone SE with FaceID and an updated processor really an iPhone mini?  

I guess if it has less than 2 cameras it’s still an SE.   But the 3% can have their mini iPhone.   
    An all-screen SE would pretty much be an iPhone mini, assuming it stays the same size. The following is SE vs iPhone 12 mini:

SE has a 4.7" screen, mini has a 5.4". I was hoping it would be updated this year but it makes sense to refresh it every 2 years as it's the lowest priced model.

The 6.1" devices - 12, 13, 14, 15 - are pretty big in comparison:

Even the 5.8" iPhone X is a bit bulky but 6.1" is too big for a one-size fits all device. I can see why the mini fails to sell though, the larger screens improve readability and usability when typing etc. I guess they settled on 6.1" by seeing what people were buying across the industry and their previous models but I feel like the mainstream model should be around 5.6-5.8" and have Plus be 6.1-6.4" and Max can be 6.7".
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    On the face of it, it seems pretty aggressive for Apple to pack all of that into a new SE, even if it doesn't launch for another year. In reality, they are all ancient features that should have trickled down to this price point by now anyway.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 10
    chasm said:
    I’d rate this as “very doubtful” — although having essentially an iPhone 14 for an iPhone SE price would be lovely, the costs you point out would mean the SE would be a) larger, which is not really what the audience for it wants, and b) more expensive, which the audience for this REALLY doesn’t want.

A “value” iPhone should be as small and cheap as Apple can make it. It makes it affordable, and once they have an iPhone it’s probably just a matter of time before they upgrade to the full-size iPhones.
    The SE is about a cheap iPhone. The market has failed to demonstrate that it wants a small iPhone, no matter how much internet blog followers say so.

williamlondon