iPhone 16 Pro may get larger displays than iPhone 15 Pro counterparts

Posted:
in iPhone

A new rumor claims to offer a preliminary look at the iPhone 16, with it disclosing the weight and dimensions of each phone in the 2024 lineup.

iPhone 16 Pro lineup to get display size increase
iPhone 16 Pro lineup to get display size increase

Apple recently launched the iPhone 15 lineup at its September Apple Event, which means it's time for iPhone 16 rumors to begin rolling in.

MacRumors says that it has preliminary information on the iPhone 16 lineup. It's report on Friday details what it says are the weights and dimensions for Apple's upcoming smartphones.

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus will be the same size as their iPhone 15 counterparts but will increase in weight by about two grams each. This means the iPhone 16 would weigh in at 173g, and the iPhone 16 Plus would weigh about 203g.

The real changes supposedly take place with the higher-end models. The iPhone 16 Pro will boast a 6.27-inch display (159.31 mm). The iPhone 16 Pro Max comes in at 6.85 inches (174.06 mm).

As Friday's report points out, this is an increase of 0.2 inches for each model, which will increase the overall dimensions of the phones. The width appears to line up with that of the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Apple's design process for an iPhone is about 30 months from start to finish. The dimensions are likely in the ballpark of what will ship in a year. There's no way to confirm the accuracy at this point, or the provenance of the data.

However, this report is in line with previous statements provided by historically reliable analysts. Ming-Chi Kuo predicted the larger screens in early May, as did Ross Young.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I’m looking for the camera upgrades on the 16 Pro Max. I’d really like a 10x optical zoom. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Introducing the all new iPhone 20!!!
    retrogustoOferAlex1NM68000rotateleftbytejfabula1
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Takes 4 years to get meaningful phone upgrades these days. 
    Looking to keep my new 15 pro for a good 4 years, maybe 6.
    darkvaderleicaman
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Well, I’m finally upgrading to a white 15 Pro Max 1Tb from the 7plus! And the “only” thing that I want from this upgrade? The photos are killer 🤩 everything else? I don’t need or use !! 😎🤘🏼😎
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Why? Just get an iPad.
    retrogustoAlex1Nrotateleftbyte
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Why? Just get an iPad.
    Or watch.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Maybe if the 16+ has the bigger screen I'll consider it.

If not, maybe the 17+ will.

I do not care AT ALL about the cameras.  If it's good enough for me to take a quick snapshot for my notes, it's good enough.  And my iPhone 3g's camera was very much good enough.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    seankill said:
    What do you mean "meaningful"?  Do you mean the shape/packaging?  Because the shape isn't a sign of any progress.  All of the progress is inside.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 14
    seankill said:
    I went three years since my last phone, a 12 Pro Max. This time I got the 15 Pro. I love the smaller size so much! It’s so good I could easily go four years I suspect. 
    Japhey
  • Reply 10 of 14
    eriamjh said:
    seankill said:
    What do you mean "meaningful"?  Do you mean the shape/packaging?  Because the shape isn't a sign of any progress.  All of the progress is inside.

What the OP seems to mean in this case is that the progression of features in phones, and iPhones in particular, has slowed to the point where if they buy a phone, and an iPhone 15 Pro, it will take four years for there to be a meaningful enough difference between that 15 Pro and any new phone to make an upgrade, with it's associated cost, worth it to them.

I'm in much the same position at this point, though it's looking like the break point is going to be 5 years for me.  I got the battery replaced just before my Apple Care expired, so my 11 (non-pro) is still going strong enough for my purposes.  I thought the camera was going to convince me for a while, but even with all the extra power of the new model, barring any "catastrophe" that destroys my current phone, I think I'm going to hold off.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    darkvader said:

I do not care AT ALL about the cameras.  If it's good enough for me to take a quick snapshot for my notes, it's good enough.  And my iPhone 3g's camera was very much good enough.
    You must be blind.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    darkvader said:

You must be blind.
    Yes, because darkvader's use case is different from yours, it must be because they're deficient is some way. 🤦‍♂️
  • Reply 13 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’m looking for the camera upgrades on the 16 Pro Max. I’d really like a 10x optical zoom. 
    The 5X lens on the 15 Pro Max--except for one particular use case--is no upgrade over the 15 Pro. A 10X lens would be worse. That's because the 5X lens isn't a "zoom" per se--it's a telephoto lens with a fixed focal length of 120mm equivalent. And it only engages at 120mm and above. On the 15 Pro Max, everything from 24mm to 119mm is being handled as crops of the main sensor using the 24mm main camera -- that's s huge range of what is essentially digital zoom. Yes, Apple has a ton of software tricks that makes it better than digital zoom of the past, but it's not optical zoom. On the 15 Pro, the 3X telephoto lens engages at 77mm, so in the range in which more than 90% of photos are taken--roughly 24mm-80mm--you have better lens coverage with the 15 Pro than the Pro Max. You can also shoot in Portrait Mode at a more usable 3X than 5X, which forces a lot more distance between you and your subject. Now if you happen shoot a lot at 120mm and above, your results will be better with the Pro Max, but that's the only use case in which that's true. Looking ahead, if the 16 Pro Max were to drop the 5X in favor to 10X lens for telephoto (240mm equivalent), the problem just gets worse. Now you have your 24mm main camera covering everything up to 239mm--it's ludicrous. 
    beowulfschmidtfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    darkvader said:

You must be blind.
    Yes, because darkvader's use case is different from yours, it must be because they're deficient is some way. 🤦‍♂️
    I don't think you remember how awful those early iPhone cameras were.