Tim Cook confirms Apple is researching ChatGPT-style AI

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,397member
    Alex_V said:
    gatorguy said:
    mayfly said:
    An Apple-engineered generative AI would mean I never again have to sift through the mountains of sponsored crap to find information I need or want. It would end Google's domination of search for me. And good riddance, too. The only problem I see is real-time updates to the data set. That's a massive undertaking requiring upfront capital expenditures for hardware well before any financial benefits would be realized. Lot of money, even for Apple.
    When have you ever seen "sponsored crap" answers surfaced in Google's Generative AI? Any example would be nice. Perhaps Microsoft does that, but I've yet to see a single instance on Google after thousands of information searches
    Dear Google’s Number One Fan,
    That’s a red herring fallacy. Mayfly clearly referred to sponsored links on Google search. You responded with a rhetorical question about sponsored links on Google’s generative AI. You addressed a different point, not the point that Mayfly made — a deliberate red herring tactic.
    oh, geez, cognitive reading not your forte? The discussion thread and Mayfly's initial post is regarding generative AI search.

mayfly said:
    An Apple-engineered generative AI would mean I never again have to sift through the mountains of sponsored crap to find information I need or want. It would end Google's domination of search for me. 

edited October 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 227member
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:
    That’s a red herring fallacy. Mayfly clearly referred to sponsored links on Google search. You responded with a rhetorical question about sponsored links on Google’s generative AI. You addressed a different point, not the point that Mayfly made — a deliberate red herring tactic.
    oh, geez, cognitive reading not your forte? The discussion thread and Mayfly's initial post is regarding generative AI search.

mayfly said:
    An Apple-engineered generative AI would mean I never again have to sift through the mountains of sponsored crap to find information I need or want. It would end Google's domination of search for me. 
    Mayfly specifically referred to Google search, something that was obvious to anyone reading his post. 

I happily pointed out your fallacious reasoning as you challenged me to do so in an earlier discussion. Also, what on earth is ’cognitive reading`? Did you make that up?
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Alex_V said:
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:

mayfly said:
    Mayfly specifically referred to Google search, something that was obvious to anyone reading his post. 

I happily pointed out your fallacious reasoning as you challenged me to do so in an earlier discussion. Also, what on earth is ’cognitive reading`? Did you make that up?
    Ther thread concerns Generative AI search, Mayfly's post concerned Apple Generative AI search, to why would anyone presume he wasn't referring to Google's Generative AI search when addressing their services? Since you and I get a different understanding from his post, perhaps not so obvious for at least one of us, huh?

As for what cognitive reading is, have you done a search? Google's Generative AI gives you the quick answer, but you'll find lots of individual sources with Google, as well as Bing, or their generative AI ChatGPT, or DDG's older-style search, or whatever. Pick the one you're comfortable with :)
    edited October 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 29
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:

mayfly said:

Ther thread concerns Generative AI search, Mayfly's post concerned Apple Generative AI search, to why would anyone presume he wasn't referring to Google's Generative AI search when addressing their services? Since you and I get a different understanding from his post, perhaps not so obvious for at least one of us, huh?

As for what cognitive reading is, have you done a search? Google's Generative AI gives you the quick answer, but you'll find lots of individual sources with Google, as well as Bing, or their generative AI ChatGPT, or DDG's older-style search, or whatever. Pick the one you're comfortable with :)

• Reply 25 of 29
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:

mayfly said:

Okay, you made it up. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Alex_V said:
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:

mayfly said:

Okay, you made it up. 
    Search is hard.
    https://www.bartleby.com/essay/Examples-Of-Cognitive-Reading-Theory-PJSMUKKQJG
    https://tlconestoga.ca/meta-cognitive-reading-strategies/#:~:text=Cognitive reading strategies help us,language, and problem-solving.
    https://www.redalyc.org/journal/2431/243169780015/html/#:~:text=In other words, cognitive strategies,in a text more successfully.
    https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED406644.pdf
    edited October 2023
  • Reply 27 of 29
    gatorguy said:
    Alex_V said:
    gatorguy said:

Okay, you made it up. 
    Search is hard.
    https://www.bartleby.com/essay/Examples-Of-Cognitive-Reading-Theory-PJSMUKKQJG
    https://tlconestoga.ca/meta-cognitive-reading-strategies/#:~:text=Cognitive reading strategies help us,language, and problem-solving.
    https://www.redalyc.org/journal/2431/243169780015/html/#:~:text=In other words, cognitive strategies,in a text more successfully.
    https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED406644.pdf
    You mean, ‘reading’?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,443member
    The real money to be earned with regurgitative AI will come when it’s secure and respects privacy and intellectual property rights. That will happen, and I suspect it will be companies like apple and Microsoft (maybe IBM, too) that really make it work. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    The full quote is "Of course we're working on a ChatGPT style service, you numb-wit! You loose twat."

And then he finished his rant on AI with, "it's deeply embedded in us."