Apple hasn't leaked a MacBook Pro with Dynamic Island

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

A new glyph shows a small rectangle below the MacBook Pro display bezel, with social media flaring up talking about a potential Dynamic Island upgrade for the notched Macs. But this isn't that.

New MacBook glyph
New MacBook glyph

Apple moved away from notched displays on the iPhone in favor of a more whimsical approach to hiding the sensor housing called Dynamic Island. Speculation has suggested Apple could make a similar move on MacBooks in the future, but a new glyph isn't the hint we've been waiting for.

An X user named @IceCoolTech shared an image suggesting a glyph is showing the Dynamic Island on a MacBook Pro. The glyph is new, but we're confident it isn't showcasing Dynamic Island.

On previous versions of iPadOS and macOS, the MacBook glyph had a uniform bezel, similar to what is used today for non-notched MacBooks. However, this glyph showed up even when initiating Universal Control with notched display MacBooks.

In iPadOS 17.0.2 and macOS Sonoma 14.0, the glyph has changed to show a small black rectangle below the display bezel. If this were a dynamic Island, it would take up a significant portion of the MacBook's display, even for a glyph.

Glyphs can have more detail than this image shows, so a notch or even Dynamic Island cutout would easily be rendered at this size. So, it doesn't make sense why Apple would represent a feature meant to take up less space as a gigantic block.

Apple's previous Mac glyph for Universal Control
Apple's previous Mac glyph for Universal Control

Instead, we assume this is the MacBook Pro running macOS Sonoma, which has a new screensaver with a clock when locked. That, or this could be showcasing some kind of notification block, though those usually appear on the right side of the display.

There are zero credible sources suggesting the Dynamic Island is coming to Mac anytime soon. Users hopeful for Face ID on Mac may suspect such a change, but the design doesn't allow for such sensors in the thin display, not yet.

Whatever this glyph is, it isn't a MacBook with a Dynamic Island. Perhaps it's an updated glyph to showcase the macOS Sonoma upgrade, or it could be a mistake on Apple's part.

Expect code divers to dissect the IPSW soon and find the name of this mysterious new glyph. We're willing to bet its name is something like "MacBook with Notification."

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    If the MacBooks actually get a Dynamic Island, maybe that means that FACE ID is coming with it!  That would be awesome!  (I have no idea why the notch cut-out on the current MacBooks is currently so wide.)
    photography guywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,695member
    Apple Watches and iPhones now have an "action button." Could it also be built into iPads? MacBooks? iMacs? Mac Minis?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Sure looks like a dynamic island precursor to me. 

M3 max MacBook Pro with dynamic island coming up. 
    d_2KalMaddatyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Why would you bet on "MacBook with Notification" if notifications aren't centered like that?
    KalMaddawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    'the design doesn't allow for such sensors in the thin display, not yet' - can't the tetraprism architecture in the iPhone 15 Pro Max lend itself to this? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    HonkersHonkers Posts: 156member
    Apple Watches and iPhones now have an "action button." Could it also be built into iPads? MacBooks? iMacs? Mac Minis?
    AirPods?
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Why so sure that it couldn’t possibly be Dynamic Island, when notifications don’t even show up centered like that?  Seems kind of like an awfully big assumption. 🤷🏼‍♂️
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Why would they add such a glyph now if new MacBooks aren't coming until at least Spring?
    Maybe an October event really will still occur.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I would love to see the Dynamic Island and FaceID integrated into future Apple Displays, iMac, and MacBook lines—even if it means slightly thicker (or "less thin") MacBooks. Hopefully that is in the pipeline...?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,013member
    Why would you bet on "MacBook with Notification" if notifications aren't centered like that?
    Because they will be. At least some of them. It’s as easy as a little Sonoma point release. 

I can totally see Apple doing this in place of the notch even without Face ID. 

The MacBook hardware design will likely remain as is, so this along with the m3 chips will bring “freshness” to the lineup. 

Can’t wait. 
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    As long as we’re all going out on a limbo, how about two FaceTime cameras with some separation to give 3D perspective for a FaceTime call with someone on the other end with a Vision Pro and to record yourself in 3D for producing content to be viewed on a Vision Pro? No island or notch though, just shows that dark band when recording, so you don’t obstruct the behind the screen cameras. YMMV  :#
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Because they will be. At least some of them. It’s as easy as a little Sonoma point release. 

The MacBook hardware design will likely remain as is, so this along with the m3 chips will bring “freshness” to the lineup. 

Can’t wait. 
    Citation needed. Why would notifications be moved to the center "in place of the notch"? And only some of them? That makes zero sense. "Freshness" my ass.
  • Reply 13 of 13

Can’t wait. 
    Citation needed. Why would notifications be moved to the center "in place of the notch"? And only some of them? That makes zero sense. "Freshness" my ass.
    I believe they're centred on the iPad aren't they?  And there isn't even a notch or dynamic island to account for there.

Since it's very similar functionality I wouldn't be at all surprised if they harmonised it so the Mac and iOS/iPadOS are more similar, and notifications were centred across the entire estate, or maybe offer notification placement as a configurable option.
    edited October 2023