Apple confirms iOS 17 fix for overheating iPhones is on the way

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Crossing my fingers the fix comes in time. 3 AM this morning my iphone 15 Pro was so hot that I used 2 ice pads to wrap it but still worried that I might expose. I tried power it off but the touch screen didn’t response, not until it was cooled down.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 49
    kmareikmarei Posts: 193member
    don't apple test these devices before mass producing them?
    i mean i heard instagram/uber were some of those apps
    most people have both apps, this isn't some weird and rare app
    if any testing was done, this should have been fixed before they started making millions

williamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 49
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,435member
    tht said:
    dewme said:
    kpom said:
    It’s good to get an official response. It sounds like the fix won’t affect performance. 
    What is this assertion based on? If an app or system service was effectively “misbehaving” by overloading the system in a way that caused overheating the remedy could very well cause the misbehaving app or service to see a decrease in performance, at least under some circumstances. On the other hand, if the overheating was causing the system to throttle then the sustained performance could be improved. 

Until Apple and possibly misbehaving apps deliver fixes we will not know what, if any, performance changes will occur. I suspect it will be minimal either way because the overheating was not universal.
    Computer programming has an unlimited space for making code that have the CPU and GPU going 100% essentially doing nothing. 
    What does what you said have to do with the overheating software fix affecting performance?   
  • Reply 44 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,549member
    Crossing my fingers the fix comes in time. 3 AM this morning my iphone 15 Pro was so hot that I used 2 ice pads to wrap it but still worried that I might expose. I tried power it off but the touch screen didn’t response, not until it was cooled down.
    I didn’t have any problem like that and neither did my wife. It got pretty warm when setting the phone up and transferring. But after a couple of hours it came back down. Today I was in an hour long phone call. That always gets my phones pretty warm,  up my 15 Pro Max didn’t get even slightly warm. I find your experience to be pretty extreme.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 49

kmarei said:
    don't apple test these devices before mass producing them?
    i mean i heard instagram/uber were some of those apps
    most people have both apps, this isn't some weird and rare app
    if any testing was done, this should have been fixed before they started making millions

Believe it or not these problems don’t show up for everyone. The Instagram problems are due to a late update to the app, likely too late for in-house testing at Apple. Generally some obscure bug shows up after companies release products. That’s nothing new. Early adopters are to some extent final beta testers. I always tell people not to rush to buy a product when it first comes out if minor problems will bother them, or if software they need isn’t ready yet.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 49
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,435member
    I wish Apple would release a macOS Activity Monitor equivalent for iOS and iPadOS. None of the diagnostic apps that I’ve seen come anywhere near offering the level of detail needed to track down thread level issues. 

I’m assuming Apple has such a tool available internally for their developers and third party app approval testers.  

Such a tool would obviously be outside the scope of the types of apps that are available on the App Store but I can easily see Apple making such a tool available through their developer network that runs on macOS and requires tethering the device under test to the Mac with a lightning or USB-C cable. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,629member
    dewme said:
    I wish Apple would release a macOS Activity Monitor equivalent for iOS and iPadOS. None of the diagnostic apps that I’ve seen come anywhere near offering the level of detail needed to track down thread level issues. 

I’m assuming Apple has such a tool available internally for their developers and third party app approval testers.  

Such a tool would obviously be outside the scope of the types of apps that are available on the App Store but I can easily see Apple making such a tool available through their developer network that runs on macOS and requires tethering the device under test to the Mac with a lightning or USB-C cable. 
    If that happens I would expect it to happen far down the road as those OSes mature, but I think it's more likely that we'll see more macOS apps get the iPadOS-feel over time with less access to higher-end monitoring as time goes by. While I wouldn't be using AirPort devices these days as we're several generations past when Apple stopped making routers, I did stop using them many years earlier because they removed useful network monitoring tools from their devices. Honestly, I don't get why they do that. I do understand making macOS look and feel more like the iPad so that it can attract more Mac buyers while also streamlining and adding synergy to macOS, but not at the expense of removing useful tools, which reminds me of the useful Network Utility in macOS that is now gone. (diatribe over)
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 49
    dewme said:

i’d like to have this on my iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 49
    y2an said:
    Why is iOS not taking action on excessive energy use by apps and giving warnings, or slowing them down? That is, after all, why we have operating systems. 
    'Cos Apple gets taken to court when its software slows down the CPU to protect the device or the user experience? /s
    watto_cobra