Rumor: AirTag 2 will debut with Apple Vision Pro integration in early 2025

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited October 2023

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has chimed in on AirTag 2 rumors, saying that mass production will likely start in the end of 2024 and have some kind of integration with the Apple Vision Pro.

AirTags
AirTags

Back in June 2022, Ming-Chi Kuo made the fairly obvious prediction that if AirTags were a success, Apple would develop a second generation model. Despite their problems, AirTags have become an enormous hit, so now Kuo has made the third report on the matter in a year on the matter.

Without much context, Kuo took to X/Twitter on Wednesday to make a brief statement on a rumored AirTag 2. His tweet was succinct, and lacks detail.

1. AirTag 24Q24
2. AppleVision ProAirTag 2
==

Prediction update:
1. AirTag 2 will likely go to mass production in 4Q24.
2. I believe that spatial computing is a new ecosystem that Apple wants https://t.co/GXkDIYLz84

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

The addition of Find My to the Apple Vision Pro seems obvious. The iPhone already uses directional finding to locate the accessories, so the addition of the capability to the headset makes a lot of sense.

In August, he previously said that the devices would launch in 2024. A late 2024 mass production start belies that somewhat.

Given Apple's normal timetable for mass production to release, the devices might see release in March or April of 2025. This is, of course, assuming that Kuo's timetable is correct.

Kuo is usually careful to specify when he is basing a report on sources within the supply industry, and he does not say that this time. What he does say in the full posting is that there is another reason for Apple to want to develop AirTags further.

He gives no further details to his prediction, and has not indicated what development he thinks Apple can bring to a second generation AirTag.

While the AirTags hardware has remained unchanged since the device's launch in April 2021, the software has been updated specifically to improve its anti-stalking features.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    maltzmaltz Posts: 458member
    An AirTag is just a Bluetooth beacon.  I wonder what there is to improve that warrants hardware changes?  I would welcome some other form factors, perhaps.
    Skepticalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Along with Maltz I also wonder what hardware needs to change for the AirTag to work with the Vision Pro?  What needs to change at all?  Maybe some other kind of battery than those (cheap and widely available) button cells - maybe recharging for less waste?

Apple has a way of introducing new products that I don't really care about until I find them completely indispensable.  (MagSafe, Apple Watch, AirTag, etc.)
    StrangeDaysmartinp13byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    maltz said:
    An AirTag is just a Bluetooth beacon.  I wonder what there is to improve that warrants hardware changes?  I would welcome some other form factors, perhaps.
    Definitely needs a thin wallet version.
    StrangeDaysravnorodombyronlpulseimagesAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    maltz said:
    While vendors do make faux-card AT holders to put into a purse or wallet, they're pretty fat. I ended up switching my wallet out for one made for an AT on the outside of the wallet:

ravnorodombyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    The guy gets paid by the rumor. 
    pulseimageswatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 21
    It’ll be nice if we can get AirTag for other things like a car, bicycle, motorcycle. Something that’s specifically designed for these things. Not sure what the differences would be but I’m sure Apple’s crack design team has a few ideas. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Don't airtags also have an apple proprietary UWB tx-er  in addition to bluetooth ?
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    maltz said:
    Yeah, I am with that.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    It’ll be nice if we can get AirTag for other things like a car, bicycle, motorcycle. Something that’s specifically designed for these things. Not sure what the differences would be but I’m sure Apple’s crack design team has a few ideas. 
    The 2 AirTags I use now are hidden in a bicycle and a car... with a goal of being able to assist the police in possibly recovering either if stolen. They work great in knowing exactly where either is at all times. I did go to the trouble of removing the speakers so that this intended purpose has its best chance to succeed.

And while I lean pretty positive on Vpro and am typically not short on imagination, I can't think of a single thing that would cater them to Vpro or make them have some special relationship/functionality with it. Marking off open space to allow one to freely move within an empty square in virtual experiences without colliding with walls, furniture or other things... like those artificial boundaries for robot vacuums? That's all my imagination has to try to connect these dots. And I'm doubting they have that much accuracy to actually do that well.  
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I prefer the don’t lose stuff method. Been working for me my whole life.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 21
    “Find My Vision Pro. O, it’s on my head.”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    maltz said:
    While vendors do make faux-card AT holders to put into a purse or wallet, they're pretty fat. I ended up switching my wallet out for one made for an AT on the outside of the wallet:

Still too bulky. I've been very happy with the Eufy wallet card.
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    maltz said:

Yeah but it’s a one time use disposable $30 device because battery is not replaceable. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    maltz said:

Vote with your wallet and don’t buy it. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 21
    XedXed Posts: 2,580member
    maltz said:
    it's a lot more than just a BT beacon.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ireland said:
    I prefer the don’t lose stuff method. Been working for me my whole life.
    I prefer people don't bore us with narration of their own narcissistic reflections.
    XedmaltzHonkers
  • Reply 17 of 21
    kkeekkee Posts: 19member
    Does this has to do with FCC permits consumer products to utilize more of the 6GHz band, benefiting Apple?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Xed said:
    maltz said:

Not much more.  There's also the UWB beacon for Precision Tracking, and a speaker and accelerometers so it can beep when it's jostled and hasn't seen its owner in a while.  But that's it.  Everything else, including location tracking and anti-stalking alerts on your phone, are done phone-side by devices participating in the Find My network.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 21
    XedXed Posts: 2,580member
    maltz said:
    Xed said:
    maltz said:

Not much more.  There's also the UWB beacon for Precision Tracking, and a speaker and accelerometers so it can beep when it's jostled and hasn't seen its owner in a while.  But that's it.  Everything else, including location tracking and anti-stalking alerts on your phone, are done phone-side by devices participating in the Find My network.
    Says it’s not much more and then goes to detail key ways it’s quite it a bit more than just a BT beacon. 🤦‍♂️
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Xed said:
    maltz said:
    Xed said:
    maltz said:

Says it’s not much more and then goes to detail key ways it’s quite it a bit more than just a BT beacon. 🤦‍♂️
    I stand corrected.  Four things is indisputably a "lot more" than one thing, even if three of those things are some form of beacon.  My bad.