'The Problem With Jon Stewart' canceled after two seasons on Apple TV+

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2023

"The Problem With Jon Stewart" won't be returning to Apple TV+ for a third season due to alleged disagreements over topics, though details are sparse.

'The Problem With Jon Stewart'
'The Problem With Jon Stewart'

"The Problem With Jon Stewart" had a strong two season run on Apple TV+, taking the crown as the most-viewed unscripted show when it debuted. It even got nominated for four Emmys including Outstanding Talk Series.

According to a report from Variety, Apple TV+ and Jon Stewart have parted amicably due to disagreements over topics being pitched for the third season. Those topics allegedly included artificial intelligence and China, according to an anonymous source.

The show has covered controversial topics including racism, gender, climate change, and more over its two season run. One segment even pointed out Apple's financial position and criticized the company, so it isn't clear why other topics would be unapproachable.

Apple TV+ has had a few shows canceled and projects depart in recent weeks. Check out the full list of canceled shows curated by AppleInsider.

Jon Stewart is known for his time on "The Daily Show" and his advocacy work for veterans and first responders. "The Problem With Jon Stewart" was his return to television and a big win for Apple, and time will tell if this is the last we'll see of Stewart on unscripted shows.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    I absolutely love this show, since it takes time to really focus and dig in to a particular topic, and also takes time to present multiple viewpoints on topics where there is legit disagreement.

I’m sorry it will be leaving Apple TV+, but I hope it will find a new home.

I can’t say this cancellation is unexpected, because the big topics that need rational discussion these days will inevitably cross over into things like Big Tech, China, and so-called AI, which may not always paint certain companies (not just Apple) in a flattering light.
    12Strangersroundaboutnowbaconstangmazda 3styler82byronltdknoxHonkersronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Speak ill of China, get fired by Apple.
    12StrangersbyronlBushwicketdknoxgrandact73ronnblastdoor
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I also loved the show but I don’t think that there are enough people who can focus on one topic for more than 1.5-2 minutes at a time and throw in multiple viewpoints and that confuses too many people. 
    Perhaps more than one of topics pitched for the next season hit a little too close to home for apple.

Some other streaming platform will pick it up, maybe Google or amazon?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    More rumors. I want to hear Jon say, "a person in charge told me what I could or couldn't say on my show" or the equivalent. 

If you're gonna produce a live talk show, interfering with the content is inappropriate. The only exceptions are promoting lies, hate, disinformation...and of course, those 7 words you can't say on television: S, P, F, C, C, M, and T.
    darbus69byronltdknoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Huge fan of his old show, it was never  the same since he left, though Trevor Noah tried hard.  Watched a couple of episodes of Jon’s new show and it just didn’t work for me. They say all comedians want to be taken seriously as actors. I think something akin to that may be happening with Jon. Wish he would just accept that fact that political satire is his metier and go back to it. We need smart political humor more than ever. 
    13485watto_cobrablastdoorurashidtht
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Not sure how it happened, but a key piece of info got edited out of this summary. The NY Times is the source of the story about China and AI being at issue, while Variety is the source of the story that says the parting is amicable. 
    byronlronnwatto_cobratht
  • Reply 7 of 22
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,341member
    I don't see that as Apple's fault.  It's more of a problem with Jon Stewart.
    MacProwatto_cobradewme
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Does Stewart own the rights to the show or does Apple?
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    It wasn't the Daily Show when Jon was top dog but it was still an excellent show. If Apple is going to host a show with Jon Stewart I'm pretty sure editorial control would have been agreed to up front. However, ultimately, those who foot the bill can pull the plug anytime and thus they ultimately have full control. Sad to see. 
    MacProbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    This will free up his time to run for president. (Dreaming of a more perfect world)
    davkurai_kagerobin huber12Strangerswatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 11 of 22
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    tyler82 said:
    This will free up his time to run for president. (Dreaming of a more perfect world)
    I think Jon Stewart would be first in line to point out that this right here is actually a fundamental problem with our modern democracy. Just because someone says things we agree with doesn’t qualify them to be president. Any idiot can hold opinions. Being able to articulate those opinions is only one skill shared by capable presidents and tee vee celebrities. 

Good presidents also have to be able to make hard decisions, often with no “good” options available. They have to be able to negotiate and compromise with other politicians in government, with other world leaders, and understand how to how to run an incredibly complex government. (Not how to run a business, but how to run a government. They’re entirely different things.) The list goes on. 

The point is, we’d all do a lot better for ourselves if we’d quit lining up behind tee vee celebrities who say things that we like, thinking they’d automatically be good presidents. 
    edited October 2023 byronlrobin huberroundaboutnowtokyojimuwatto_cobradewmeentropyssphericwilliamlondontht
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Sucko. The dumbing down of America continues. Victory for the billionaires that bought SCOTUS. 
    kurai_kage12Strangerstyler82watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 22
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    eightzero said:
    More rumors. I want to hear Jon say, "a person in charge told me what I could or couldn't say on my show" or the equivalent. 

If you're gonna produce a live talk show, interfering with the content is inappropriate. The only exceptions are promoting lies, hate, disinformation...and of course, those 7 words you can't say on television: S, P, F, C, C, M, and T.
    what do these initials stand for?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Speak ill of China, get fired by Apple.
    The cancellation of Jon's show comes down to one word: China.

There is nothing more you need to understand or discuss.  Apple was terrified of Jon's show discussing China, however honestly and fairly as Jon does, but, critically, a discussion that could possibly upset the government of China and, in turn, adversely affect Apple's business and bottom line.  This cancellation is what you call risk mitigation.  For a trillion dollar corporation, China is no small potatoes in the big picture of Apple's business.

ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    byronl said:
    eightzero said:

byronl said:
    eightzero said:

A 2-second search would have given the answer. But just in case, nobody explains it better than George Carlin:

https://youtu.be/kyBH5oNQOS0?si=rSNq8F05ZbpwRgp4
    edited October 2023 ronnmobirdspheric
  • Reply 16 of 22
    AppleZulu said:
    tyler82 said:
    I think Jon Stewart would be first in line to point out that this right here is actually a fundamental problem with our modern democracy. Just because someone says things we agree with doesn’t qualify them to be president. Any idiot can hold opinions. Being able to articulate those opinions is only one skill shared by capable presidents and tee vee celebrities. 

Good presidents also have to be able to make hard decisions, often with no “good” options available. They have to be able to negotiate and compromise with other politicians in government, with other world leaders, and understand how to how to run an incredibly complex government. (Not how to run a business, but how to run a government. They’re entirely different things.) The list goes on. 

The point is, we’d all do a lot better for ourselves if we’d quit lining up behind tee vee celebrities who say things that we like, thinking they’d automatically be good presidents. 
    YOU should be President. 😉
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 17 of 22
    eightzero said:
    those 7 words you can't say on television: S, P, F, C, C, M, and T.
    But you can say them on Apple TV+.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    tyler82 said:
    He addressed that suggestion last year and said he didn't want to. A few political comedians have said the same. Comedians are usually very insightful because it's their job to break things apart and find something that resonates with people to make them laugh. That level of thinking gives them a very clear, honest view of the world, which would make them good decision makers in politics.

But they are comedians because they wanted to make a living by making people laugh. That's not what happens in politics. They'd have to give that part of their life up and be serious to work in politics. People also keep forgetting that these shows are productions with a room of comedy writers behind the scenes, it's not one person coming up with the material, much of it is rehearsed and read from a teleprompter. When the writers' strike happened, these shows went off the air.

Most of these kind of shows tend to be very partisan and Jon Stewart has shown that he's not the type to take the opposing side to his base. That lowers the appeal to a broader audience. The show's ratings and reviews were pretty bad, given his history:

https://www.thewrap.com/the-problem-with-jon-stewart-ratings-apple-plus/
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_problem_with_jon_stewart/s01
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_problem_with_jon_stewart/s02

Low ratings and around 60% audience score.

The Daily Show felt polished, confident and comfortable with every episode. It had production values that rivalled, even exceeded, news channels. This show came across as cringeworthy and amateur in comparison and not entertaining. Jon Stewart's fanbase was built on entertainment and talking about serious topics in a light-hearted way.

The topics covered on the show weren't current news, they were single topics that have been talked about many times before and the discussions involved everyday people who weren't interesting to listen to and didn't bring anything new to the conversation. Good talk shows usually involve people who are familiar with speaking to a crowd, not random people.

The set design was poor. Look at the Daily Show, the energy of the cast and reaction of the audience:

This was 9 years ago and that material is still more relevant than what they talked about on the Problem show.

Compare to the Problem show:

The lighting is off, low saturation, low energy, jokes were ok but timing was off and the audience isn't reactive enough.

This type of show is great to have on Apple TV because it can maintain regular viewers but it needs to be current affairs, entertaining, energetic, have better production values and have broader appeal (celebrity guests).

If this show had the ratings, Apple wouldn't have cancelled it, regardless of the topics.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondontht
  • Reply 19 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I doubt this kind of show translates well from broadcast to streamer.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    Huge fan of his old show, it was never  the same since he left, though Trevor Noah tried hard.  Watched a couple of episodes of Jon’s new show and it just didn’t work for me. They say all comedians want to be taken seriously as actors. I think something akin to that may be happening with Jon. Wish he would just accept that fact that political satire is his metier and go back to it. We need smart political humor more than ever. 
    I agree. I think the show could have been canceled just because it fell in something akin to an uncanny valley between funny and serious, resulting in awkward and boring.

but if the real reason is China then that is yet another example of how China is a huge problem. The worst problems are the ones people are punished for trying to talk about.
    spheric