Next 12.9-inch iPad Pro will be downgrade, says extremely unlikely report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

A supply chain source is contradicting its own reporting, and making the incredibly questionable claim that the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro will go back to LCD backlighting, instead of the mini LED it added in 2021.

Apple's iPad Pro
Apple's iPad Pro

The next iPad Pro is expected to launch in 2024, and previously it's been rumored that either with this generation or another one later in that year, Apple will add an updated OLED display. Now Digitimes says no, the next model will step back to the LCD backlit panels it had three years ago.

"Industry sources have revealed that Apple is rolling out new iPad Pro models," says the publication, "and both the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro model and the new iPad Air are designed with traditional LCD backlights, rather than the mini-LEDs Apple introduced to its premium 12-9-inch [model]."

It doesn't sound like Apple to revert years to a previous technology. It also doesn't sound like there's a way to make that sound like a benefit when it's selling the new iPad Pro to customers.

There is the fact that the older technology would inevitably be cheaper to produce, but Apple isn't known for passing on savings to customers. So it's not probable that such an iPad Pro would be sold for less, and if it isn't, Apple will struggle to sell the new model as an upgrade.

The tablet market does appear to be shrinking, so it could make sense for Apple to make a cheaper iPad Pro. Except, all reports that say tablet sales are down also say that the iPad is doing the best of all of them.

What appears to be more probable is that Digitimes is conflating the iPad Pro with the recently rumored 12.9-inch iPad Air. Given that the only benefit to putting back LCD lighting in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is that it would let Apple reduce the cost, it would also presumably then be narrowing the price difference between this and any new 12.9-inch iPad Air.

Plus, that recent rumor about a larger iPad Air came from Digitimes.

More, the first report of that rumor in Digitimes was on October 19, 2023, in a teaser for a fuller report coming out on October 20, 2023. Unless there is another Digitimes report about the iPad Air, it seems the teaser was referring to this one.

Digitimes does have a strong track record for its supply chain sources, but a significantly poorer one for the conclusions it draws about Apple's plans. And now seemingly also a poor one for reading its own articles.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,341member
    If articles like this are newsworthy, I suppose I could say, "Apple will ditch the iPhone 16 for iPhone 3G tech in honor of RETRO phones" and then you would publish the rumor?  If not, do I need to be a Digitimes employee?

:D 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Probably a translation issue? Is it easy to access the Chinese original, to compare to the English version? Or is it paywalled?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I could see them doing an LCD if they were making a bigger iPad Air. 
    williamlondondanoxmattinozwatto_cobraurashid
  • Reply 4 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Yeah, that's basically the only choice if they want to drive the price down. The M1 MBA with 13.3" LCD display is $1000, and perhaps the M2 MBA13 hit $1000 when the M3 models roll around. A iPA13 model with M1 or M2 probably can get down to $900 as an iPad Air just has fewer parts.

There are rumors of iPad Air models having OLEDS for like 3 years. Latest round of iPad Air rumors are now saying LCD? Apple would have to get a really good OLED deal from Samsung and LG to hit a $600 to $800 price point for an iPA. Don't see that happening. Maybe another year or two after OLEDs have been shipping on iPP models for awhile.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Could be a mix up with the other rumor of a 12.9” regular iPad. 
    watto_cobraurashid
  • Reply 6 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Doesn’t the cost of OLED go up significantly when the screen size gets bigger? Particularly If you want to go beyond 4K? The Apple should reduce the cost crowd should love it :smile:

I also have noticed that there have been many more postings on YouTube from people recently who are using their bigger screen iPads as their only computer aside from having a iPhone as a laptop replacement. (And many use both)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXX5Me2m6A. Molina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8R2T1cNP-k.   Molina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7flQhzvnQ.  Fibi 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yO9lWrke9oE  GoodNotes, almost makes me wish I was back in school if Apple wants to sell more iPads? They actually need to get a little bit more vocal about many of the programs that make it indispensable for writing and taking notes.

Does anyone know? If Apple has featured Notability, GoodNotes or even their upgraded Notes program which I have heard has been upgraded in the last update and does even more than it did before. I use Pages and Notability a lot and both are fast quick and easy (stay out of the way). In the hands of a talented smart student that are even better for school with an IPad.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    FlappoFlappo Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    Any news on the 11 ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member
    tht said:
    Yeah, that's basically the only choice if they want to drive the price down. The M1 MBA with 13.3" LCD display is $1000, and perhaps the M2 MBA13 hit $1000 when the M3 models roll around. A iPA13 model with M1 or M2 probably can get down to $900 as an iPad Air just has fewer parts.

There are rumors of iPad Air models having OLEDS for like 3 years. Latest round of iPad Air rumors are now saying LCD? Apple would have to get a really good OLED deal from Samsung and LG to hit a $600 to $800 price point for an iPA. Don't see that happening. Maybe another year or two after OLEDs have been shipping on iPP models for awhile.
    It would make a lot more sense with the other rumour a while back of the iPad Pro getting a larger screen, again. 
    That would make a pretty good product line differentiation.

iPad Pro 15 & 11.  M3 better cameras 3D sensor FaceID thunderbolt Multi-screen support all the pro trimmings 
    iPad Air 13 & 9 (new mini) Say Stays M1 adds FaceID Apple modern test device so cellular with eSim included 
    iPad 10.4 & 8.3 - touch ID price drops.

The larger of each model could be designed as a landscape device smaller remains a traditional portrait.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mattinoz said:
    tht said:

It would make a lot more sense with the other rumour a while back of the iPad Pro getting a larger screen, again. 
    That would make a pretty good product line differentiation.

iPad Pro 15 & 11.  M3 better cameras 3D sensor FaceID thunderbolt Multi-screen support all the pro trimmings 
    iPad Air 13 & 9 (new mini) Say Stays M1 adds FaceID Apple modern test device so cellular with eSim included 
    iPad 10.4 & 8.3 - touch ID price drops.

The larger of each model could be designed as a landscape device smaller remains a traditional portrait.
    Hmm, if we are making imaginary iPad lineups, I'm not sticking with Touch ID.  :D

$330 7" iPad, 19:10 aspect ratio, LCD, 8.5mm thick, A13, 3 GB RAM, Face ID, single back cam
    $400 9" iPad, 14:10 aspect ratio, LCD, 8.5 mm thick, A14, 4 GB RAM, Face ID, single back cam
    $500 10" iPad, 14:10 aspect ratio, LCD, 8mm thick, A15, 4 GB RAM, Face ID, single back cam
    $650 11" iPad, 14:10 aspect ratio, LCD, 8mm thick, M2, 8 GB RAM, Face ID, single back cam, Smart Connector
    $800 12" iPad, 14:10 aspect ratio, LCD, 7mm thick, M2, 8 GB RAM, Face ID, two back cam, Smart Connector
    $1000, 12" iPad, 5:4 aspect ratio, miniLED/OLED, 6.5mm thick, M3, 8 GB RAM, Face ID, Hand+Eye Tracking, two back cam, 2 USBC, ...
    $1300, 14.5" iPad, 5:4 aspect ratio, miniLED/OLED, 6.5 mm thick, M3, 8 GB RAM, Face ID, Hand+Eye Tracking, two back cam, 2 USBC, ...
    $2500, 22" folding iPad ;)

Top end BTO is 32 GB of RAM, 4 TB of storage.

Obviously in my mind, if the price increases with display size, it makes it really easy for prospective buyers to understand what they are getting.

watto_cobranetrox
  • Reply 10 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Well, it's possible, I mean, look at 3rd Gen Pencil - a total downgrade of 2nd Gen. No gesture support. No magnetic attachment. No pressure. No wireless charging. 

watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Let’s be honest… unless there’s some major redesign & upgrade, there’s still no argument to upgrade from the 12.9 M1. Apple needs to get its head in the game. The S9 Ultra is larger, lighter, thinner & Dex is still beating the brakes off of Stage Manager.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    vukasika said:
    Let’s be honest… unless there’s some major redesign & upgrade, there’s still no argument to upgrade from the 12.9 M1. Apple needs to get its head in the game. The S9 Ultra is larger, lighter, thinner & Dex is still beating the brakes off of Stage Manager.
    You are stating a truism. There is no argument to upgrade from an M1 MBA to a M2 MBA, M1 Mac mini to M2 Mac mini, iPhone 14 to an iPhone 15, etc. When Apple releases an M3 iPad, people with 2020 iPads with A12Z SoCs or older will be more tempted to upgrade. That's basically the normal process for the mass market.

And yes, Apple does need to treat iPads as general computing devices, and not this super targeted device that is in-between an iPhone and a Mac. The S9 tablet has the same type of problems as iPads in the PC desktop workflow but is worse off because of lack of tablet apps let alone PC like apps.

The more expensive these tablets are, the more features and functionality they must offer. A $1500 tablet should have the same functionality as a $1500 laptop. $1000+ tablets make for a tough sell, and really only sells to people who want the mobile handheld drawing and writing functionality. I definitely fall in that category, plus, love the mobility of being able to use almost anywhere. Use my iPP10.5 as a true blue touch tablet, not a laptop. Hence, the 16:10 aspect ratio in these Samsung S9 tablets are a negative design for me.

One thing that is perhaps encouraging for iPads. VisionOS and iPadOS basically have the same app platform. I can see the two in a virtuous cycle if Vision headsets take off.
    mattinoz