Apple could spend $5B on servers to catch up in AI race

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2023

Apple's attempts to catch up with the rest of the market in the generative AI field could cost more than first thought, with it potentially spending more than $5 billion over two years just on servers.

Siri
Siri

On Sunday, it was reported Apple has committed to spending in the region of a billion dollars annually just on its AI efforts. In a Monday post, TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo proposes the amount could be much higher than that.

Writing on Medium, a survey by Kuo reveals Apple intends to purchase between 2,000 and 3,000 AI servers in 2023, and possibly between 18,000 and 20,000 servers in 2024. These figures are said to represent 1.3% and 5% of worldwide AI server shipments in their respective years.

Kuo thinks it is "reasonable to assume" that Apple's AI server choices will be the "most popular specification" of the year, using Nvidia's HGX H100 8-GPU. For late 2024, Apple may upgrade to a "B100 solution."

With a price of around $250,000 per HGX H100 8-GPU server, it's estimated that Apple will spend around $620 million in 2023, and $4.75 billion in 2024 on AI servers alone. This works out to be about $5.37 billion over two years.

The lower spending in 2023 than 2024 is down to a shortage of Nvidia AI chips, as well as Apple "placing its orders later than other major customers."

Despite seeming like a great expense, Kuo thinks the purchases are still far behind other companies. As examples, Meta will allegedly be buying around 40,000 AI server units in 2024, while Microsoft plans between 80,000 and 100,000 units in the same year.

This may not be an issue for Apple with its lower number of orders, as Kuo believes it's "not appropriate to compare" with Microsoft, since it is assumed Apple won't offer services like cloud hosting of AI projects.

Privacy, flexibility, and more expense

Kuo thinks that Apple prefers to train its large language models on AI servers it has purchased and installed itself rather than using virtual hosts in the cloud, citing security, privacy, and "design flexibility" behind the move.

Though Apple's AI infrastructure and computing power won't be as high as competitors who have already made a head start, Kuo thinks this means Apple thinks "it must have superior software development capabilities to catch up."

Kuo points out that the purchase of servers doesn't include other costs that Apple could incur, including labor and the cost of operating its infrastructure. It's therefore "reasonable to estimate" that Apple could be spending several billion dollars annually to catch up with its rivals.

There is also a mention to Sunday's report, with Kuo offering "If Apple really intends to spend only a billion dollars a year on generative AI development, it won't matter much if my survey is wrong, but I am genuinely concerned about the future of Apple's generative AI business/service."

Kuo also accepts that Apple "can develop its own AI server chips to save on AI server procurement costs." While plausible, Kuo says "the visibility of the development is not clear at present."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Three blind mice, see how they run
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    They can spend all they want, but they won’t be able to catch up until they change their privacy stance and tap into user’s information. 
    williamlondonM68000watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Yep, Apple’s gonna buy Nvidia AI servers, when they have everything in house to build their own and learn more from the experience, Nvidia, Intel, and AMD servers are barn burners. I don’t think Apple will go down that path not at that wattage when then can build their own without the need for additional coolant fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhuxRF2c_w&pp=ygUMb3B0aW11bSB0ZWNo 13:12 mark high wattage and MHz at all cost Apple isn’t on that path…… Long term Apple appears to building up from ground level with a different solution.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Disappointing-Core-i9-14900K-performance-watt-vs-Ryzen-7-7800X3D-showcased-as-Intel-CPU-appears-to-guzzle-energy.761067.0.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/17esez1/exclusive_nvidia_to_make_armbased_pc_chips_in/ Opps, Nvidia wants to make Arm chips I think that cancels them out.
    edited October 2023 Alex1Nsagan_studentshrave10watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    clexman said:
    They can spend all they want, but they won’t be able to catch up until they change their privacy stance and tap into user’s information. 
    Apple sells hardware and services to their customers. Apple already gets more valuable quality information (at a good price) out of their customers than Google, and Meta does by their nefarious snooping methods.

What can be better than having more than 500 stores around the world showing off the Apple Vision Pro with that new user interface call it Apple AI if you want, but to the public it’s not gonna matter, what will matter is how it works upfront and personal as if by magic, where you just simply rub/softly tap two fingers together and have a command executed on the screen, what can be better? Nvidia’s who? back room shenanigans won’t matter.
    edited October 2023 williamlondonmike1bala1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    But, please, tell me more about everyone else’s insurmountable lead. 
    williamlondonmichelb76watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    igorsky said:
    No one has a insurmountable lead but in today’s climate you want to be a vertical computer company, software and hardware under one roof…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danox said:
    clexman said:
    Apple sells hardware and services to their customers. Apple already gets more valuable quality information (at a good price) out of their customers than Google, and Meta does by their nefarious snooping methods.

What can be better than having more than 500 stores around the world showing off the Apple Vision Pro with that new user interface call it Apple AI if you want, but to the public it’s not gonna matter, what will matter is how it works upfront and personal as if by magic, where you just simply rub/softly tap two fingers together and have a command executed on the screen, what can be better? Nvidia’s who? back room shenanigans won’t matter.
    You have to consider that Google already has access to that "valuable quality information", since Apple agree to make Google Search the default search engine for all Apple devices.  Also, most Apple customers have Google services for their personal use.  On the other side, MS has locked the enterprise with Windows, Office / MS 365 and Azure, and also have the benefit of the partnership with OpenAI. At the moment, I don't see Apple having an advantage over Google or MS regarding access to customer data.  

I also think AI have more benefits for customers than the Apple Vision Pro does today.  We'll have to wait and see what happens.  And like it or not, Nvidia is miles ahead of Apple in AI, and today it matters.
    ctt_zhelijahg
  • Reply 8 of 31
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danox said:
    igorsky said:
    No one has a insurmountable lead but in today’s climate you want to be a vertical computer company, software and hardware under one roof…
    Being a vertical company haven't made Pages / Number / Keynote better than MS Office or Google Workspace.  Neither made iCloud a better service than Google or MS services, neither made Siri a better assistant, even though Apple was ahead of the competition.  Apple has done an excellent work with hardware, but software is a different story.  They have their hits with macOS and iOS, but at the same time have iCloud, Pages / Numbers / Keynote and Siri, that are behind the competition.  We'll to wait and see what they do with AI.
    ctt_zhgatorguydesignr
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Nvidia will make oodles of cash as everyone is playing catch up on AI. It is a war of attrition in terms of capex. $5B costs that likely will increase dramatically year on year for an unknown period of time.

Now Apple just happens to sit on one of the world’s best silicon teams. Apple may want to do a Tesla like Dojo sprint and roll their own server side AI silicon or even license/partner with Tesla on it.

If they can pull this off then it feels like the sustainable move. Nvidia needs a strong counter weight.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    My question is whose AI training chips are they going to use? Are they going to adapt from currently existed chips, design a new series, or simply purchasing from NVIDIA?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    danox said:
    Yep, Apple’s gonna buy Nvidia AI servers, when they have everything in house to build their own and learn more from the experience, Nvidia, Intel, and AMD servers are barn burners. I don’t think Apple will go down that path not at that wattage when then can build their own without the need for additional coolant fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhuxRF2c_w&pp=ygUMb3B0aW11bSB0ZWNo 13:12 mark high wattage and MHz at all cost Apple isn’t on that path…… Long term Apple appears to building up from ground level with a different solution.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Disappointing-Core-i9-14900K-performance-watt-vs-Ryzen-7-7800X3D-showcased-as-Intel-CPU-appears-to-guzzle-energy.761067.0.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/17esez1/exclusive_nvidia_to_make_armbased_pc_chips_in/ Opps, Nvidia wants to make Arm chips I think that cancels them out.
    Assuming the rumour is true, Apple obviously doesn't have the ability right now to produce a homegrown solution. 

They definitely don't have everything in house to produce the necessary systems. 

It takes much, much more than silicon. You really need a complete platform to work from. 

Nvidia has CUDA-X
    Huawei has CANN

Should Apple be working to that end? I think so but to date they have shipped nothing comparable while others have been around for years now. 

I think it's not too wacky to believe Apple was wrong-footed on this one and probably had an all-hands meeting last year to plan how to resolve the situation. 

Is it possible that the early 'reveal' of Vision Pro was to deflect from where it was lacking in the latest AI moves? 

That may be bordering on wackiness but you never know. 

OnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 12 of 31
    danvm said:
    danox said:
    igorsky said:
    Being a vertical company haven't made Pages / Number / Keynote better than MS Office or Google Workspace.  Neither made iCloud a better service than Google or MS services, neither made Siri a better assistant, even though Apple was ahead of the competition.  Apple has done an excellent work with hardware, but software is a different story.  They have their hits with macOS and iOS, but at the same time have iCloud, Pages / Numbers / Keynote and Siri, that are behind the competition.  We'll to wait and see what they do with AI.

In the Microsoft menagerie of programs the only thing that’s any good is Microsoft Excel, I learned long time ago in college if I wanted a better looking functional document, just use Adobe InDesign, or Quark with their page layout/editor even Pages does a better job with word layout and graphics than Microsoft Word or Google Docs, and these days there are so many other great programs that deal with word manipulation, why would I use programs from Google a company that is mining data 24/7? Notability, Keynote, Pages, Canva, Goodnotes, Morpholio Trace, Notes, Procreate, CollaNote, OmniOutliner, anything from Adobe, Quark, and Affinity if you have to deal with graphics, layout, or web design.

What’s gonna be fun next year is watching the release of the Apple Vision Pro and seeing native small to medium sized companies, releasing programs which will show what it means being a vertical computer company (Apple) that is able to create new ecosystems is all about, and Googles, or Microsoft only response, in that new Apple ecosystem is to flood the market with their existing parasitic reduced feature (in comparison to what’s on their platform) from their existing ecosystems.

At the college level these days, it’s a new world if you use a Apple Mac computer or an iPad Pro the number of very good programs for taking notes, writing essays term, papers, or technical papers, and that vertical computer platform created by Apple allows many people to excel away from the plug and have long battery life in the process that’s what a vertical computer company does gives you the power to design beyond that barn burning must be plugged into a wall Microsoft computer. 

Being a vertical computer company, also helps to include things like LiDAR into every iPhone and iPad Pro made in the last four years, and that inclusion of LiDAR will become all the more apparent with the release of the Apple Vision Pro only a vertical computer company can do that.

P.S. Apple isn’t the company camping out in the ecosystems of Google and Microsoft they don’t need to, nor are they paying either of them $20 billion a year for a default position within their vertical computer ecosystem…. the benefits are all Apple I don’t think Apple is behind. They’re just on the different path that doesn’t involve burning down the barn, the ecosystem squatters in this game is Microsoft and Google.

edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31

My question is whose AI training chips are they going to use? Are they going to adapt from currently existed chips, design a new series, or simply purchasing from NVIDIA?
    Nvidia hopes/plans that you will be buying those barn burning chips/systems from them, of course you’ll have to do all of the real integration into your operating system/server farm depending on how you wanna work it, as long as you paid them and the power company they don’t care.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    FlappoFlappo Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    By the look of it they spend 5 bucks a decade on Siri , it’s Siri ou sly useless 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 31
    danvm said:
    danox said:
    igorsky said:
    Pages, Numbers and Keynote are there for antitrust reasons regarding Microsoft's investment in the Mac platform with Office, nothing else. It's a side-effect that they are usable and they should and will never compete with Office.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Apple could buy Nvidia, for its current value of $1 Billion.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    They could also spend eleventy-kletoplillion or even more. The could even spend so much there isn’t even a number for it. Are we sure it’s dollars? Could be Astro-credits. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    danox said:
    danvm said:
    danox said:
    igorsky said:

In the Microsoft menagerie of programs the only thing that’s any good is Microsoft Excel, I learned long time ago in college if I wanted a better looking functional document, just use Adobe InDesign, or Quark with their page layout/editor even Pages does a better job with word layout and graphics than Microsoft Word or Google Docs, and these days there are so many other great programs that deal with word manipulation, why would I use programs from Google a company that is mining data 24/7? Notability, Keynote, Pages, Canva, Goodnotes, Morpholio Trace, Notes, Procreate, CollaNote, OmniOutliner, anything from Adobe, Quark, and Affinity if you have to deal with graphics, layout, or web design.

What’s gonna be fun next year is watching the release of the Apple Vision Pro and seeing native small to medium sized companies, releasing programs which will show what it means being a vertical computer company (Apple) that is able to create new ecosystems is all about, and Googles, or Microsoft only response, in that new Apple ecosystem is to flood the market with their existing parasitic reduced feature (in comparison to what’s on their platform) from their existing ecosystems.

At the college level these days, it’s a new world if you use a Apple Mac computer or an iPad Pro the number of very good programs for taking notes, writing essays term, papers, or technical papers, and that vertical computer platform created by Apple allows many people to excel away from the plug and have long battery life in the process that’s what a vertical computer company does gives you the power to design beyond that barn burning must be plugged into a wall Microsoft computer. 

Being a vertical computer company, also helps to include things like LiDAR into every iPhone and iPad Pro made in the last four years, and that inclusion of LiDAR will become all the more apparent with the release of the Apple Vision Pro only a vertical computer company can do that.

P.S. Apple isn’t the company camping out in the ecosystems of Google and Microsoft they don’t need to, nor are they paying either of them $20 billion a year for a default position within their vertical computer ecosystem…. the benefits are all Apple I don’t think Apple is behind. They’re just on the different path that doesn’t involve burning down the barn, the ecosystem squatters in this game is Microsoft and Google.

You really had time to write all of this?

williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Apple could buy Nvidia, for its current value of $1 Billion.
    lol, check again
    fastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 31
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    danox said:

My thought too.

Could you imagine an announcement of Apple Silicon AI.
    appleinsixdrwatto_cobra