Apple acknowledges iPhone 15 charging problem with BMWs, Toyota Supras

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple has acknowledged a problem that can temporarily deactivate the Near-Field Communications (NFC) capabilities of iPhone 15 series devices when used with the wireless charging systems in some BMW and Toyota Supra models.

Some BMWs cause iPhone 15 charging problems

NFC enables iPhones to scan electronic tags attached to real-world objects. Most iPhone users' primary experience with NFC is using Apple Pay, though digital key car keys and other services also depend on the technology.

Apple has posted a service bulletin through its authorized service provider network that notes the problem, linking it to the use of a "small number" of wireless chargers included with some BMW and Toyota Supra vehicles.

It advises customers not to use wireless charging in those vehicles until a software patch is provided.

Users affected by the problem see a "Could not set up Apple Pay" error message on their device, even if Apple Pay has already been configured.

Service recommendations outlined by Apple include resetting the NFC chip in the iPhone using Apple Service Toolkit 2, a software utility used at Apple retail stores and authorized service providers. The fallback is to send the iPhone to Apple for hardware repair.

Apple indicates that the problem will be corrected with an upcoming software update, though it did not specify when the update will be released.

Apple released iOS 17.1 on Wednesday, which did not fix the issue, so look for the change in an upcoming release.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Wireless charging in cars is a boondoggle at best. Just plug the phone in - problem solved.
    Rogue01
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    The Toyota Supra is actually a re-branded BMW Z4.  The engine and all electronics are made by BMW.

Wireless charging is kind of ridiculous in a car.  Go over a bump and the phone moves slightly and no more wireless charging.  It is not that hard to plug it in, and the audio quality on a wired connection is far better than Bluetooth.
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsPwatto_cobradewme
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Rogue01 said:
    The Toyota Supra is actually a re-branded BMW Z4.  The engine and all electronics are made by BMW.

Wireless charging is kind of ridiculous in a car.  Go over a bump and the phone moves slightly and no more wireless charging.  It is not that hard to plug it in, and the audio quality on a wired connection is far better than Bluetooth.
    My iPhone never moves once placed on the charging mat and placement isn't critical. CarPlay uses Bluetooth only to achieve pairing. After that, everything is transferred via wi-fi.
    watto_cobraappleinsideruser
  • Reply 4 of 10
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    The best thing - in this context - about BMWs is that CarPlay is WIRELESS. It has been for a few years now.

I don't take my iPhone (was 12 Pro, now 15 Pro) out of my pocket for charging, or anything else. I just get in and drive. 

Brilliant.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    riclfriclf Posts: 15member
    Rogue01 said:

You must have a pretty aged iPhone. The current line use MagSafe tech to magnet down the phone to the surface. No movement whatsoever.
    edited October 2023 watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MplsP said:
    Wireless charging in cars is a boondoggle at best. Just plug the phone in - problem solved.

You must have a pretty aged iPhone. The current line use MagSafe tech to magnet down the phone to the surface. No movement whatsoever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Rogue01 said:

More than that, it's basically a Z4 coupe styled and tuned by Toyota, and both are manufactured by Steyr in Austria.

Before it even hit the street, the Supra was leaked…in BMW's ETK (electronic parts catalog).  All the Toyota bits, like the badges and such, had assigned BMW part numbers like the rest of the car!
    watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    riclf said:
    Rogue01 said:

iPhone 13 Pro with MagSafe and no charging pad in a car has a magnet.  Nice try.
    williamlondonHonkersMplsP
  • Reply 9 of 10
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    riclf said:
    Rogue01 said:

MagSafe doesn't matter. The BMW charger is a Qi charger, no magnets to hold anything in place, just a spring-loaded thing to clamp your phone down, and since it's a one-size=fits-all "solution" that means the charging coils may or my not line up worth a damn. EVERYBODY hates the BMW charger including me - we commonly refer to it as the "phone warmer" because it barely charges but heats the hell out of your phone. BMW really needs to offer a MagSafe solution, but for some reason, they don't.
    Honkers
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Rogue01 said:
    riclf said:
    Rogue01 said:

iPhone 13 Pro with MagSafe and no charging pad in a car has a magnet.  Nice try.
    Exactly. I also have a 13 Pro. My car (Tesla Model Y) has a very nice wireless charging pad that is not mag safe. I can fiddle with it and get the phone properly place to charge but the next bump will move the phone and either severely degrade the charging or stop it completely. On top of that, wireless charging doesn’t work the wallet attached so it’s even less convenient.