No M3 13-inch MacBook Pro at 'Scary Fast' event, says Gurman

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

Despite previous predictions of an M3 refresh for the 13-inch MacBook Pro at Apple's October event, a new report says it's still in development and is unlikely to be unveiled soon.

Apple's current 13-inch MacBook Pro
Apple's current 13-inch MacBook Pro

The 13-inch MacBook Pro has seemed an oddity in Apple's lineup, despite being updated with an M2 processor in 2022. It's the last remaining MacBook Pro to have a Touch Bar, for instance, and in terms of price and performance, the MacBook Air and the 14-inch MacBook Pro appear to be the better buy.

Nonetheless, it has been reported that a refresh is coming for the 13-inch MacBook Pro, to the extent that it's codename of J504 is known. At points, that model has been predicted for before the end of 2024.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that at one point, as did Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Gurman also recently reported that stocks of the 13-inch model were low, potentially suggesting a looming refresh.

But now Bloomberg has changed its position, and says that it is unlikely that a 13-inch MacBook Pro will be unveiled at the "Scary Fast" event.

Bloomberg says that the model is not ready for launch, and adds only that when it comes, it will have the base version of the M3 processor.

Gurman does believe that the event is exclusively about Macs, however. He says he is not anticipating any AirPods, or iPad updates.

Apple's "Scary Fast" event is on October 30, 2023, and will be streamed from 5:00 PM PT, 8:00 PM ET.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    why does it even still exist. I can't imagine it sells at all
    edited October 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    How many times is he going to change his prediction?
    watto_cobralibertyandfreeanome
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dk49 said:
    How many times is he going to change his prediction?
    Well, either:

1. Until he gets it right, or
    2. Until Apple stops using his "predictions" to ferret out leakers.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    byronl said:
    During the announcement of the M1 or M2 Apple said that it was the second best selling Mac behind the MacBook Air. So it apparently sells well and that is probably why it exist. 
    edited October 2023 williamlondonchasmblastdoorTRAGbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Of course not, because it’s going to be a 14 inch using regular M3. I’m thinking the 13in Pro is going to be redesigned to be either 14, or the same size screen as the M2 Air, just without the XDR display or ProMotion.  

I know German is saying no M3 Air or 13 in MacBook Pro next week, but WTF does he think is going to be released next week? Just an iMac? I honestly don’t think they’re going to start off the M3 with the M3 Pro/Max. That would be weird 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    byronl said:
    It has a fan. That’s what differentiates it from the Air. No throttling under load. Thus, the “Pro” label. Basically a Pro laptop for people who don’t need high-end graphics and displays. Audio professionals, for example. Corporate settings. Apple sells a lot of these things.
    edited October 2023 williamlondonblastdoorbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Perhaps the end of the line for the Macbook Faux Pro? "None of the power that real pros need, with the Touch Bar that real pros hated." But obviously, SOMEBODY has continued to buy it because Apple isn't shy about cutting products that don't sell, so maybe they're going to hold off on the M3 update until they move the MBA line to M3, as well. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobracanukstorm
  • Reply 8 of 21
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    My prediction...

13" MBP M3 for education
    iMac M3 for everyone

13" M1 Air discontinued
    13" M2 MBP discontinued

14" & 16" MBP no change

Mini/Studio no change

TRAGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21

1.)   I don’t think anyone has predicted that 24” iMacs might be upgraded not only with M2 but also with M2 Pro and M2 Max SOC as “scary fast” options. I’d expect the M2 Max will be faster than the base M3.

For the iMac 24”, that could be a “scary” fast option of interest for many—including folks with a Studio Display they already have or would get so they’d have a two monitor system with power in the tank. 

There could be an introduction of a 27” or 30” or 32” iMac with the M2 Pro or M2 Max.   That would make sense. It would fill a long time stretch of no upgrades on that product. The M2 Pro & M2 Max are already in production and this would avoid the supply crunch on the M3 SOC. 

2.)  Another thought is—why would Apple schedule a reveal and compete for audience just when game 3 of the World Series starts?

Maybe the reveal will followed by (or be in) a series of ads during the World Series game, with a bigger ad just before the game start of 5:03pm PDT, and a repeat or second ad during 7th inning stretch.  And short 20 second or less ads during the game hi-lighting gaming on iPhone and the new iMacs as reinforcement teasers. It would be a rather larger audience and during a sporting event, in which they might also reveal expanded MLB showings beyond the Friday night deal. 

tenthousandthingswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21

1.)   I don’t think anyone has predicted that 24” iMacs might be upgraded not only with M2 but also with M2 Pro and M2 Max SOC as “scary fast” options. I’d expect the M2 Max will be faster than the base M3.

For the iMac 24”, that could be a “scary” fast option of interest for many—including folks with a Studio Display they already have or would get so they’d have a two monitor system with power in the tank. 

There could be an introduction of a 27” or 30” or 32” iMac with the M2 Pro or M2 Max.   That would make sense. It would fill a long time stretch of no upgrades on that product. The M2 Pro & M2 Max are already in production and this would avoid the supply crunch on the M3 SOC. 

2.)  Another thought is—why would Apple schedule a reveal and compete for audience just when game 3 of the World Series starts?

Maybe the reveal will followed by (or be in) a series of ads during the World Series game, with a bigger ad just before the game start of 5:03pm PDT, and a repeat or second ad during 7th inning stretch.  And short 20 second or less ads during the game hi-lighting gaming on iPhone and the new iMacs as reinforcement teasers. It would be a rather larger audience and during a sporting event, in which they might also reveal expanded MLB showings beyond the Friday night deal. 

Good points, all. I had not thought of that at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    I think Apple should drop MBP 13'.
    They should drop price MBP 14' with base M3 chip as $1599 or $1699. Which $100-$200 more than MBA 15' 512GB.

I think Apple currently has some model lineup fragmented issue.
    Too many choices not good for business. 

Current 24' iMac chase cannot handle temperature of M2 Max. I think M2 pro is max out.
    iMac is for base consumer product not for professional. 27' or 32' iMac may contain with M3 Max? If Apple still choose thin chase, then I guess it may not either.

Question will be the price of 27' or 32' iMac with M3 Pro or Max. It may compete with Mac Studio sales.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,291member

Compete for audience? Because very few people care about the World Series except for the fans of the two teams remaining. And of those fans, even fewer will care about an Apple event. Even so, the Apple event will be an hour long. The Apple devotees would be giving up maybe three innings.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,316member
    I am a fan of the touchbar, but even I think the 14-inch MBP is a better machine overall. I would like to see the 13” continue as a lower-cost option and an EDU model, though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,248member
    byronl said:

Are you under the belief that a 13" laptop screen is too small? I spend my life on a 13.3" Air doing my work. I've tried the horizontal two-screen approach several times, but found it to be less productive than a workflow of just switching apps on my one laptop screen. I don't need to be looking at multiple apps at once. Cmd-Tab gets me around super-fast. To each his own, I guess.

williamlondonwatto_cobradewme
  • Reply 15 of 21
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,320member
    byronl said:
    It has a fan. That’s what differentiates it from the Air. No throttling under load. Thus, the “Pro” label. Basically a Pro laptop for people who don’t need high-end graphics and displays. Audio professionals, for example. Corporate settings. Apple sells a lot of these things.
    Bingo. And I suspect it’s because they sell a lot of them that they are not releasing an m3 version (same with MBA). 

It looks like they are releasing the M3 for lower volume, higher margin Macs first. That makes sense, given that the 3nm process is currently expensive and might not have the best yields.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    If there's a World Series game occurring during the announcement, I'd like to see a reporter at the game try to estimate how many people at the game are watching the Apple announcement on their phones at the game. Baseball can be slow, so there might be quite a few.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    byronl said:
    During the announcement of the M1 or M2 Apple said that it was the second best selling Mac behind the MacBook Air. So it apparently sells well and that is probably why it exist. 
    I literally know so many people that own the new M series MacBooks (Pro and airs) and not one of them have the 13” Pro.  
  • Reply 18 of 21
     I still do not believe this is going to be an M3 processor reveal since the date and time are so strange and one would expect the M3 upgraded processors to be a major daytime announcement.  

I expect an upgraded 24”iMac using the M2 and M2Pro processor (last chance for the update since early 2024 will be all about the M3) and be gamer focused. I would love them to reveal a new 27” iMac but there have been zero rumours of such an item. 
    edited October 2023
  • Reply 19 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,071member
    I'm holding out for the M5. It will not have an off switch; and it will likely be based on Jobs' memory engrams. 
  • Reply 20 of 21
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,704member
     I still do not believe this is going to be an M3 processor reveal since the date and time are so strange and one would expect the M3 upgraded processors to be a major daytime announcement.  

I expect an upgraded 24”iMac using the M2 and M2Pro processor (last chance for the update since early 2024 will be all about the M3) and be gamer focused. I would love them to reveal a new 27” iMac but there have been zero rumours of such an item. 
    There's no point of holding an event, inviting key tech bloggers to NYC to view the vent and hyping it if it's nothing more than M2 / M2 Pro update to the iMac.

"Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman was the first to report on Apple’s plans to hold an in-person event in New York City. Gurman said last week that Apple invited “a small group of media to watch the keynote there.” This has since been confirmed with a number of influencers taking to Instagram to reveal their travel to New York City and tagging Apple in their posts.

9to5Mac has also talked with several other people who are en route to New York City for the festivities. Presumably, these people will also have the chance to go hands-on with Apple’s new products following the event."

Apple's 'Scary Fast' Mac event includes in-person watch parties in select cities - 9to5Mac

edited October 2023