'Scary Fast' iMac with M3 is here with few external changes

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 24

Apple revealed the updated 24-inch iMac with an M3 processor during its Scary Fast event, along with hardware ray tracing for gamers.

Apple has introduced an iMac with faster M3 chips
Apple has introduced an iMac with faster M3 chips

The 24-inch iMac was originally released in 2021 as one of the first Macs with an M1 processor. Its thin and light chassis with flashy colors made it stand out, but it hadn't been updated since.

Apple finally revealed the updated iMac on Monday night, but not much changed. The M3 processor was announced alongside the iMac, but the desktop's design and color scheme remain untouched.

iMac display and chips

The 24-inch LED-backlit 4.5K Retina display with a 4,480 by 2,520 resolution returns, and has 11.3 million pixels. It also has 500 nits of brightness, Wide Color (P3) coverage, True Tone, and a 1080p FaceTime HD camera at the top.

The M3 processor follows the iPhone 15 Pro's A17 Pro as the second Apple Silicon chipset built on the 3nm process. It boasts an 8-core CPU, the option for a 10-core GPU, and compatibility with as much as 24GB of unified memory. Compared to the prior M1 generation, it offers up to double the speed.

Another feature of M3 that appeared in M2, but not M1, is the Media Engine, which provides dedicated hardware-accelerated video encoding and decoding elements. That will mean a boost to video editing and similar workflows.

Apple has a similar Neural Engine as previous chips with 16 cores, but included the capability for hardware ray tracing. Users can play games like Resident Evil 4 with ray tracking enabled on the 24-inch iMac, similar to how it works on the iPhone 15 Pro family.

Other iMac features

The six-speaker system with force-cancelling woofers is also back, as well as a three-mic array with directional beamforming.

Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 support are also improvements on the previous generation. Physical connectivity extends to up to four USB-C ports which includes two ports with Thunderbolt/USB 4 speeds and support for up to a 6K display.

The Gigabit Ethernet connection is again located in the power brick for a cleaner desk appearance.

Pricing & Availability

Users can place an order for the newly released 24-inch iMac featuring the M3 chip starting Monday, October 30. An iMac with an 8-core GPU starts at $1,299 or $1,249 with educational pricing in green, pink, blue, and silver.

Meanwhile, the iMac with a 10-core GPU starts at $1,499 or $1,399 for educational shoppers in in green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    um it was only 30 mins
    williamlondonNoGodsNoMasterswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    um it was only 30 mins
    Like they promised, scary fast!
    williamlondonronnStrangeDaysNoGodsNoMastersAlex1Nchiawatto_cobrasphericbyronl
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Not sure what I was expecting, but I thought there would be a little more "Scary" to the presentation.

Looks like the accessories are still lightning. That's a bummer.
    williamlondonentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    kkeekkee Posts: 19member
    M3 iMac? Love that! Take my money. If only they made 27" too.
    williamlondonronnStrangeDaysScot1AfarstarHedwarewatto_cobraappleinsideruserbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 31
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    This is not a “perfect replacement” for a 5K 27 inch iMac.
    kkeewilliamlondonbaconstangzeus423Alex1NScot1blastdoorwatto_cobratyler82appleinsideruser
  • Reply 6 of 31
    This was a bore fest. This should’ve been a press release.
    williamlondonNoGodsNoMasters
  • Reply 7 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member
    um it was only 30 mins
    What was you expecting, a 2hr movie? lol
    ronnStrangeDaysAlex1Nchiawatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 31
    ugh.    No 27 (or 30") imac, not anu sudtio/studio monitor upgrades.   
    baconstangwilliamlondonargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 31

clexman said:
    Not sure what I was expecting, but I thought there would be a little more "Scary" to the presentation.

Why is lightning for charging a bummer? WTF difference does it make? It even comes with the cable necessary to charge it so it's not like you need to go buy a cable. It's not going to charge any faster with USB-C. I don't get what the big deal is there. 
    edited October 2023 Xedbaconstangd_2ronnStrangeDaysAlex1Nchiawatto_cobrarob53williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 31
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,144member
    So the 24" only comes with the basic M3.  Nope.
    The 24" can only support one extra display.  Nope.
    It can replace the Intel 27", I think not.  

My 5K debuted 8 years ago. 
    Since they discontinued the 5K, they have not come up with an all-in-one to replace it.
    edited October 2023 entropyszeus423Alex1Nblastdoorwatto_cobrawilliamlondonappleinsideruserargonautbyronl
  • Reply 11 of 31
    ugh.    No 27 (or 30") imac, not anu sudtio/studio monitor upgrades.   
    No and I suspect that's the reason. Apple still want you to buy Mac Studio + Studio Display for Pro. I think iMac 24" is targeting for non-pro users / office environment / student desk with that starting price.
    tenthousandthingswatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 12 of 31
    It makes me nervous when Apple keeps talking about graphics when talking performance increase.  Even the new chip features they talked about were graphics focused.   Not everyone is doing high end graphics work.  Sound like these chips are all about Vision Pro and the graphics workload they will have.   Have to wait for sites to test  but I wonder if doing audio will benefit.   Audio work on M1 and M2 are about the same so how much will it change with M3. 
    hammeroftruthwatto_cobrabaconstangwilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 13 of 31
    clexmanclexman Posts: 213member
    macxpress said:

clexman said:

Why is lightning for charging a bummer? WTF difference does it make? It even comes with the cable necessary to charge it so it's not like you need to go buy a cable. It's not going to charge any faster with USB-C. I don't get what the big deal is there. 
    It's a bummer because currently I use the color matched cable to charge the keyboard and mouse, but have to attach another cable to charge USB C devices. I'd really like to move on from multiple cable types.

I love how neat and tidy these iMacs are in my office (I have one in each color). I'd love it even more with 1 less cable coming out the back of it.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrawilliamlondonargonautbyronl
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Toortog said:
    It makes me nervous when Apple keeps talking about graphics when talking performance increase.  Even the new chip features they talked about were graphics focused.   Not everyone is doing high end graphics work.  Sound like these chips are all about Vision Pro and the graphics workload they will have.   Have to wait for sites to test  but I wonder if doing audio will benefit.   Audio work on M1 and M2 are about the same so how much will it change with M3. 
    Apple is also making a push towards gaming which was also mentioned in this event. Every event they're mentioning games recently. You take Apple's very impressive GPU performance numbers with the M3 family along with the improvements in macOS and the things Apple is doing to make creating Apple Silicon games easier I think Apple is really trying finally. It's only a matter of time before a big gaming studio starts creating Apple Silicon games not only for the Mac, but also iOS and iPadOS. So it's more than just GPU intensive tasks. 
    edited October 2023 roundaboutnowNoGodsNoMastersAlex1Nwatto_cobrawilliamlondoncanukstormargonautbyronl
  • Reply 15 of 31
    clexmanclexman Posts: 213member
    I just went to order one from my Apple Business site and they only have it in 4 colors and only with 8GB of RAM. No option for the full size keyboard either.

They must be in short supply of M3 chips if they are limiting all the options to the consumer site only. That, or I never checked the Apple Business site right after an announcement before and this is normal.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Just ordered mine in silver with the 10 core GPU, base disk storage, 16 GB RAM.  Will be watching the mail next week like a hawk!

ronnwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 17 of 31
    As others in this thread noted, the 24" iMac M3 was offered as a replacement for either the 21.5" or 27" Intel iMacs. That seemed odd to me. I wonder if that means we won't see a larger iMac any time soon (if ever).

Maybe we'll see a 24" iMac with M3 Pro or M3 Ultra -- in Space Black -- before too long. Matching 24" 4.5K displays would be nice too.

I'd still prefer an M3 Pro or Ultra 27" 5K iMac though. They don't need to make them bigger. I think a 27" 5K all-in-one can be a sweet spot between price, performance, and design.
    GriffalloAlex1NScot1watto_cobraappleinsideruserargonautbyronl
  • Reply 18 of 31
    My bet is that we will soon (by the end of next year) see what amounts to an iMac Pro, to include M3 Pro and Max chips, 32" screen and Space Black for the color and accessories.
    watto_cobrabaconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 31
    laytechlaytech Posts: 340member
    Pretty boring with the same form factor and ugly chin. I was hoping for something gorgeous looking that made me want to go out and buy one. Something that looks sleek, modern and progressive in my home office. Oh well, looks like my 2014 iMac will have to continue to collect dust.
    edited October 2023 Griffallowilliamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 31
    laytech said:
    Pretty boring with the same form factor and ugly chin. I was hoping for something gorgeous looking that made me want to go out and buy one. Something that looks sleek, modern and progressive in my home office. Oh well, looks like my 2014 iMac will have to continue to collect dust.
    It still gorgeous looking. Do you know iMac is number 1 item to add in any promotional setting? Why? Because it is sleek, modern and stunning.  B)
    roundaboutnowStrangeDaysronnAfarstarwatto_cobrabaconstangwilliamlondonbyronl