Epic 'Killers of the Flower Moon' flops at the box office

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Despite its potentially promising box office takings in its first week in theaters, Apple TV+ movie "Killers of the Flower Moon" dropped 61% in its second weekend.

Lily Gladstone and Leonardo DiCaprio in 'Killers of the Flower Moon'
Lily Gladstone and Leonardo DiCaprio in 'Killers of the Flower Moon'

"Killers" by director/co-writer Martin Scorsese and writer Eric Roth is an epic 3.5-hour movie that was so expensive to make that Paramount couldn't afford it until Apple TV+ stepped in. In the first week of its theatrical release, it came second at the box office, beaten only by Taylor Swift's "Eras Tour."

That opening weekend, usually the most crucial time for any new film, saw it take in only $23 million domestically, though. At the time, Variety said that the lower than normal figure was less of a concern in this case, since the theatrical release was seen as a launch for the later streaming on Apple TV+.

However, once a film has had its opening weekend, the next test is how much less money it takes in its second one. There is almost always a drop off, and it can often be marked, but Variety says "Killers" dropped by 61%.

That means it took in only around $14 million. There are still overseas sales, and the film has yet to open in some territories, but earnings do not go back up after the initial opening. Unless, that is, "Killers" gets strong Oscar nominations or a Best Picture win, in which case it's likely Apple will re-release the movie theatrically and it may perform better.

The fact that "Killers" took in less than expected at first, and then dropped 61%, though, is not unusual. This summer's "Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning - Part One" dropped 64% in its second weekend, from almost $55 million down to $19.5 million.

Apple has not commented on the box office figures. It's also not yet set a streaming date for the film to debut on Apple TV+.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,036member
    I'm looking forward to seeing this on AppleTV.  

I only go to a movie theater every few years, even before that multi-year thing that happened.  I don't need that experience.   I don't know what Apple expected from this movie in the theater but I was under the impression that it was in theaters mostly for eligibility for certain awards that may not be given to streaming-only releases.
    jeffharrissflagelwilliamlondonGraeme000StrangeDayschasmwatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 2 of 35
    I’m waiting to stream it.

Apple is saying “maybe February” for a streaming release. 
    Huh? Why so long?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Huh? Why so long?
    Regulations are different in every country with regards to mandatory delay between theater opening and streaming release.
    If Apple wants to release the movie globally on Apple TV+, it has to follow all those regulations.
    Or find a middle ground and publish in February in most countries.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35

Huh? Why so long?
    Oscar nominations are announced on Jan 23rd and final voiding happens Feb 22. So Feb is great timing if it is nominated. 

edited October 2023 mike1retrogustochasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    And another clickbait headline from Apple Insider. 

So the move flopped because ticket sales were down 61%... okay... So the Taylor Swift movie that was number dropped 63% from its first week to it's second... So I guess that is a flop as well? Large drops after an initial opening are not terribly unusual and even with the large drop, Killers of the Flower Moon was still the third highest grossing moving in its second weekend. Maybe Apple Insider should refrain from commenting on industries that it really doesn't know much about but at this rate one has to wonder what AI actually has any sort of expertise in. 

HonkersretrogustodewmeGraeme000jamnapjamnap
  • Reply 6 of 35
    It's the second week of release.  Not all news has to be "Breaking!"  Talk about it when it's out of theatres.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    WilliamGallagherWilliamGallagher Posts: 13member, moderator, editor

So the move flopped because ticket sales were down 61%... okay... So the Taylor Swift movie that was number dropped 63% from its first week to it's second... So I guess that is a flop as well? Large drops after an initial opening are not terribly unusual and even with the large drop, Killers of the Flower Moon was still the third highest grossing moving in its second weekend. Maybe Apple Insider should refrain from commenting on industries that it really doesn't know much about but at this rate one has to wonder what AI actually has any sort of expertise in. 

The Eras Tour earned over $90 million in its first weekend, so even with a drop, its second-weekend take was greater that Flower Moon's opening.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The only reason I haven’t seen it in a movie theater is that it’s 3 hours and 27 minutes long.
    retrogustomuthuk_vanalingamSpitbathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,310member

Huh? Why so long?
    Oscar nominations are announced on Jan 23rd and final voiding happens Feb 22. So Feb is great timing if it is nominated. 

That is exactly the reason. The Academy has been pushing back against films that are in the theaters for a week and then streamed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    SHKSHK Posts: 25member
    Another WOKE FLOP.

williamlondongrandact73jamnap
  • Reply 11 of 35

The Eras Tour earned over $90 million in its first weekend, so even with a drop, its second-weekend take was greater that Flower Moon's opening.
    Your entire argument for the movie flopping was that box office sales dropped 60%. That’s exactly what Eras did. So by your definition it’s a flop. 

And yes, Eras did better than Killers …so? Are you now suggesting that any move that doesn’t do as well as Eras is flop? Because that would be a particularly dumb claim. 

With a little over a week Killers is ranked 41st  in revenue for the year. Is it a smash hit? No.  Is it a flop? No. Is Apple Insider desperate for clicks? Apparently. 

Graeme000
  • Reply 12 of 35
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 759member
    Not a reflection on the film at all. Everyone, myself included, is just waiting to stream. 
    watto_cobramike1
  • Reply 13 of 35
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,118member

Huh? Why so long?

They may also be thinking that they should wait to see if it’s likely to win some Oscars, in which case they could re-release in theaters after the Oscars, and stream after the re-release. Scorsese is among the many filmmakers who feel strongly that their films should be seen in a theater on the big screen whenever possible, so I’m sure he would want them to hold off as long as they can, and he may have some contractual commitments from the studios along those lines. 
    edited October 2023 chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    The advertising for the movie in no way makes me want to see it, though I'm a fan of Scorsese.  I can't believe this is the best that marketing professionals can come up with.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Saw this in theaters opening weekend.  It was an interesting story to tell, but not something I would recommend for its general entertainment value.  Especially given the overly long length, which I didn't think was necessary.

I don't know the budget but given the discussion of the film's high production costs, its opening weekend dollar intake wasn't much to write home about, and a falloff in the second week doesn't bode well.

I'm a big believer in the theater experience, especially some of the premium seating options that are available near me.  If this had been streaming only, it's unlikely I would have given it a chance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    The biggest problem for the movie is that it has really serious pacing issues in the first 2 and half hours, it has basically no drama in the first 2 and half hours.  
    watto_cobragatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 35
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,769member
    Perhaps the large drop in revenue has something to do with the $30 increase for an annual Apple TV+ subscription happening the same week? Coincidence? 
  • Reply 18 of 35
    ciacia Posts: 261member
    I actually planned on seeing this in the theaters but decided to pass on it when I realized how long it is.  These days I can't tolerate much over two, maybe two and a half hours in an actual theater.   I'll watch it at home for sure though.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    At three and a half hours it's just too long for the theater. Will stream.
    Graeme000watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35

You're whole argument in the article is that it dropped by 60% in the second week, but you failed to point out that Eras Tour did the same thing. Seems like it's only a strong argument when you leave out details like that. If it's the case that most movies drop by that much, it'd be worth mentioning that so the reader has the entire picture and it isn't a big deal. Maybe the bigger deal is the low ticket sales.
    ronnatomic101