M3 Max benchmarks show Mac Pro performance in a MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2023

Initial Geekbench scores for the M3 Max place the 16-inch MacBook Pro on par with the Apple Silicon Mac Pro.

M3 Max
M3 Max

The 16-inch MacBook Pro with M3 Max won't be in customers hands until mid-November, but someone has already begun running benchmarks. The initial results show Apple's M3 family has incredible performance.

The Geekbench score for M3 Max appeared late on Wednesday, hours after the standard M3 showed up. It is under the identifier Mac15,3, which refers to the 16-inch MacBook Pro with M3 Max.

The single-core score for the M3 Max is 2,971 and the multi-core score is 20,785. Compare that to the M2 Ultra in Mac Studio, which scores 2,692 single core and 21,231 multi core.

The M3 scored 3,030 for single core and 11,694 for multi core.

Benchmarking tools like Geekbench provide scores that act as a simple reference point to compare performance metrics. Scores fluctuate slightly between runs and across different hardware due to environment, temperature, battery life, background tasks, and more.

Geekbench also can't address specific hardware systems like the Media Engine, hardware ray tracing support, dynamic caching, or accelerated mesh mapping. Extensive real-world testing will reveal more about the performance of M3 Max once it arrives in customers hands.

The 14-inch MacBook Pro with M3 Max starts at $3,199 while the 16-inch MacBook Pro with M3 Max starts at $3,499. Shipping estimates show a November 13 or later date.

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFellerBart Y

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 132member
    In one word - WOW!
    williamlondonjas99chasmdewmewatto_cobraFileMakerFellerBart Y
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Which just leads to... what's the M3 Ultra going to be like?

That could be scary fast!
    williamlondoniOSDevSWEjas99killroychasmdewmewatto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFellerBart Y
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Daaaaang sucka!!!

m3 Max is m2 ULTRA performance. Whoops it in single core of course, but MATCHES it in multi core?

indeed-scary fast. Apple isn’t playing. 

Been waiting for the big dog imac to come out, but may have to get this bad boy first. 

If the m3 Max is this ridiculously powerful, what’s the ultra going to be? Sheesh!
    jas99killroywatto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFellerBart Y
  • Reply 4 of 33
    ... I'm most curious to see the GPU scores which to date have not tempted me away from an upgradable eGPU ...
    darkvader9secondkox2williamlondonkillroywatto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFellerBart Y
  • Reply 5 of 33
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    This just tells me how badly nerfed the m2 Ultra is. They could easily throw a cooler on that cpu and crank up the voltages... right? 

It never made sense to me why the Studio and Mac Pro had the exact same specs with enclosures that have different cooling properties. 
    9secondkox2jas99williamlondonkillroydanoxwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Daaaaang sucka!!!

m3 Max is m2 ULTRA performance. Whoops it in single core of course, but MATCHES it in multi core?

indeed-scary fast. Apple isn’t playing. 

Been waiting for the big dog imac to come out, but may have to get this bad boy first. 

If the m3 Max is this ridiculously powerful, what’s the ultra going to be? Sheesh!
    I don’t think Apple will come out with a large, iMac or iMac Pro. It’s more cost effective for Apple to go with a Studio Display and a Mac Studio. The 24” iMac is fine for a majority of all-in-one users. Users who want more power can keep their expensive display and upgrade just the computer box. I’ve done a cost analysis using the base Mac Studio (Max) with a Studio Display and I don’t think Apple could build a comparable iMac with the specs of a two piece system. Do the math and see if you agree. 

I created a spreadsheet/table comparing the 24" iMac and the Studio Mac, both base configurations and what I would buy. Unfortunately, I can't upload it. 
    edited November 2023 watto_cobragregoriusm9secondkox2Alex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 33
    I have the last intel MacBook Pro from late 2019. Spent almost $4000 on it. Unfortunately can’t justify upgrading for thousands more when mine works great still. 
    watto_cobratyler82Bart Y
  • Reply 8 of 33
    I have the last intel MacBook Pro from late 2019. Spent almost $4000 on it. Unfortunately can’t justify upgrading for thousands more when mine works great still. 
    I had the 16” MBP with the 8 core i9 and Radeon 5500M. I now have the 16” M2 Max 38 core and 64GB RAM.

The difference in performance and battery life are game changers. My 2019 MBP used to get hot and the fans would spool up as soon as I did anything more taxing than browsing the Internet. I never got anywhere near a day of battery life without having to plug in.

My M2 Max is not only much faster, but I rarely hear the fans and I still have 40% battery after a day of heavy usage.

The upgrade is worth it.
    jas99williamlondonkillroydewmechiawatto_cobrarob53Alex1NFileMakerFellerBart Y
  • Reply 9 of 33
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    How does it compare to the best desktop CPUs from Intel/AMD? Also how far behind is it from the high end Nvidia GPUs? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 33
    So give it up guys. Apple is making their own GPUs as part of a chip. They expended no effort to support graphic cards in the new M powered Mac Pro. They have said in big bold letters "we are building our own complete system so we do not have to worry about compatibility or support for third party products".

That basically means that all the comparisons to third party stuff is meaningless as none of it can be directly installed in Apple products and or run on MacOS. We have zero information on how third party stuff would work in the current Apple world equipment.

We have a very simple choice array now. Apple OS or Windows.

Once the Apple OS decision is made, then one can choose from consumer products (in Apple's world) of the iMac, low tier MacBook Airs and low end Mac mini. The middle tier is the upper models of the MacBook Airs and Mac mini and 14" M3 MacBook Pro. The pro world includes the M3 Max, Pro and Ultra trim lines with prices to match. 

The Geek Bench scores are one of the best known ways to compare the performances  to a score. However, some vendors have been known to build to make a great score.
    canukstormwatto_cobrarezwitsAlex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    dk49 said:
    How does it compare to the best desktop CPUs from Intel/AMD? Also how far behind is it from the high end Nvidia GPUs? 
    The fastest multicore CPUs on Geekbench v6 are currently charting in the 33,000's. They consume roughly four times the power of the M3 Max. 
    I'd expect the M3 Ultra to be more or less in that range, once it's released. 

I'm still reeling from how Apple just hit the ground running with their first-ever Mac CPUs three years ago… 
    netroxwatto_cobragregoriusmroundaboutnowAlex1NFileMakerFelleriqatedoBart Y
  • Reply 12 of 33
    All these scores miss a very pertinent point: file transfer and storage. The 8TB SSD option is probably (for Apple inventory purposes) the same drive on the Mac Mini, both Pro laptop models, MacStudio and the Mac Pro. The MacPro should be having SSD raids with a bus designed to support high speed transfers of the TB sized video and data files. No raid array room in the MacStudio and laptops with current designs.

So the single core speed is very relevant for the daily mundane chores that are not multi-threaded. Maybe the M4 will improve from the M3 average of around 3000 to around 3450 or so. But there is probably a thermal barrier to how fast they can clock the processor and still have a useful service life.

The M series bought Apple some breathing room to get away from Intel. But they need a new series to keep downsizing and speeding up. One would think there is a finite barrier to this existing "M" technology.

We need a new extremely fast communication protocol to get stuff on and off the computer and fiber optic may be the way but the bus and storage devices have to be able to handle the data flow coming and going.
    edited November 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 33
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    I’m glad you posted, because I’m kind of in the same boat. I have few complaints about the Intel i9, but it does take its time on some audio processing and video transcoding I do. Other than that, it’s suitably speedy for my mostly-modest needs.

Thankfully, I didn’t spend $4K on my 2019 last-of-the-15-inch MBPs, more like $2.5K, and that’s still MORE than it would cost me to get a 14-inch MBP with M3 Pro (again, more than I need right now), which runs about $2K (before tax) with the specs I want, and I prefer the smaller size anyway.

I’m still agog that the price of the base 14-inch MBP with M3 now costs $400 **less** than the same model did last year. THIS NEVER HAPPENS! I can’t believe the Mac sites didn’t make a bigger deal about this.
    edited November 2023 williamlondonchiawatto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFellerdchenderBart Y
  • Reply 14 of 33
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    spheric said:
    dk49 said:
    The fastest multicore CPUs on Geekbench v6 are currently charting in the 33,000's. They consume roughly four times the power of the M3 Max. 
    I'd expect the M3 Ultra to be more or less in that range, once it's released. 

I'm still reeling from how Apple just hit the ground running with their first-ever Mac CPUs three years ago… 

The difference between an Intel/4090 and the M2 ultra using blender, but note the M2 ultra does not have any dedicated ray-tracing GPU cores like the M3 ultra. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhuxRF2c_w Starting at 8:10 mark: a comparison between the M2 Ultra and a Intel/4090 build, check out the wattage used by both systems at 8:53 mark, also check out the cooling system used in his Intel/4090 system build at 14:35 mark, I don’t think Apple is going down that road with that type of coolant/fan system.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/165frfi/new_gpu_power_connector_eliminates_cables/  Apple is definitely not going down this this path either.

Apple appears to be building up their systems slowly thru iteration, I don’t think they’re going for fast and quick solutions, by cranking up the mhz or for huge wattage gains 300, 400, 500 600 watts. That’s not to say Apple won’t do some sort of increase. I just don’t think Apple will look at those solutions as the first solution in their future designs.
    edited November 2023 watto_cobraAlex1NBart Y
  • Reply 15 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    chasm said:
    I’m glad you posted, because I’m kind of in the same boat. I have few complaints about the Intel i9, but it does take its time on some audio processing and video transcoding I do. Other than that, it’s suitably speedy for my mostly-modest needs.

Thankfully, I didn’t spend $4K on my 2019 last-of-the-15-inch MBPs, more like $2.5K, and that’s still MORE than it would cost me to get a 14-inch MBP with M3 Pro (again, more than I need right now), which runs about $2K (before tax) with the specs I want, and I prefer the smaller size anyway.

I’m still agog that the price of the base 14-inch MBP with M3 now costs $400 **less** than the same model did last year. THIS NEVER HAPPENS! I can’t believe the Mac sites didn’t make a bigger deal about this.

The base M3 14" is the successor to the M2 13" MacBook Pro. 

The 14" never came with a non-Pro/non-Max M1 or M2 processor. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraAlex1NkillroyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 33
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    The final round of Intel Macs are still relevant for users who need to run multiple virtual machines targeting Intel deployments on Windows and Linux and who want to do it from a Mac host. If I were still doing that kind of development I would hang on to that type of Mac until the wheels fell off. But that window is closing fast and the only way forward is to use a beefy Intel Windows box. 

Otherwise, Apple Silicon is unbeatable. 

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraAlex1NprogrammerBart Y
  • Reply 17 of 33
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    Geekbench 6 provides a perspective on multi core performance that is relevant to many users, but not all. The geekbench 5 multi scores showed how a CPU performs ion “embarrassingly parallel” tasks. Geekbench 6 is more focused on tasks that use multiple CPUs to solve the same problem. Aa a result, GB6 is more affected by Amdahl’s law. 

Neither is right or wrong, but they are importantly different. I suspect the M2 ultra is faster than the M3 Max on GB5 multi. 
    watto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 33
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I am actually surprised that M3 Max can offer M2 Ultra performance in a laptop!

So, I wonder how fast the Mac Studio with M3 Ultra will be. 
    v

watto_cobraAlex1NkillroyBart Y
  • Reply 19 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    ApplePoor said:
    So give it up guys. Apple is making their own GPUs as part of a chip. They expended no effort to support graphic cards in the new M powered Mac Pro. They have said in big bold letters "we are building our own complete system so we do not have to worry about compatibility or support for third party products".

That basically means that all the comparisons to third party stuff is meaningless as none of it can be directly installed in Apple products and or run on MacOS. We have zero information on how third party stuff would work in the current Apple world equipment.

We have a very simple choice array now. Apple OS or Windows.

Once the Apple OS decision is made, then one can choose from consumer products (in Apple's world) of the iMac, low tier MacBook Airs and low end Mac mini. The middle tier is the upper models of the MacBook Airs and Mac mini and 14" M3 MacBook Pro. The pro world includes the M3 Max, Pro and Ultra trim lines with prices to match. 

The Geek Bench scores are one of the best known ways to compare the performances  to a score. However, some vendors have been known to build to make a great score.
    "We have a very simple choice array now. Apple OS or Windows."

That's the been the case for awhile now
    watto_cobraAlex1NkillroyBart Y
  • Reply 20 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    dk49 said:
    These scores show a 50-80% CPU increase. M2 Ultra scores 48k on the following page:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

If that goes up 50%, it will be 72k. 80% would be 86k. M3 Ultra would then be roughly the same as the Threadripper Pro 5975WX. The tops ones cost over $5k and the performance of the others is within 30%.
    The M3 Max rivals the top current Intel/AMD laptop CPUs ( https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html ).

From Apple's GPU test, it looks like M3 Max GPU improves raw performance by 20%. Number of cores only went up about 5%. For non-raytraced performance, M2 Max is around a 3070 laptop. 20% boost will bring M3 Max GPU to a 4070/3080 laptop.

The big gain with the GPU is hardware raytracing. For 3D rendering, that should make it competitive with Nvidia/AMD.

M3 Ultra GPU probably won't scale 100% but it should reach at least 80% higher than M3 Max so between a laptop and desktop 4080. Nvidia 4090 will be around 50% higher.

M4 Ultra might be able to match a 4090 but when it launches, Nvidia will be onto the 5090, which will be 70% faster but this GPU can use 400W so it will always be able to run faster. Being within 60-70% of the best performance of AMD/Intel/Nvidia is competitive, most tasks would show a negligible difference and the Macs run silently, at full speed on battery in light, portable form factors and with huge amounts of graphics memory (Nvidia 4090 has 24GB, Ultra will probably have up to 256GB).
    edited November 2023 dk49williamlondonAlex1NsphericailoopednetroxkillroyFileMakerFellerwatto_cobraBart Y