Apple aims to reinvent the battery with high-performance cathode technology

Posted:
in iPhone

A new report claims that Apple is looking at new high-tech battery manufacturing techniques, that could see future devices deliver significantly improved use time and battery endurance.

View of an iPhone battery
View of an iPhone battery

Apple famously likes to own the whole stack, from developing the hardware to the software, and that extends to the design of its batteries. While it has to rely on other firms to physically make them -- which has been a problem with the Apple Car -- it is now working on them down to the materials level.

According to ETnews, Apple is developing what it describes as an all-new battery. The performance of the new design comes chiefly from Apple "directly participating in the development of materials that make up batteries."

Apple is said to be pursuing a new composition of raw materials -- nickel, cobalt, manganese, and aluminum -- to make the batteries' cathod materials.

An aim is to "dramatically increase the silicon content." Using silicon instead of today's graphite systems can increase capacity, and also shorten charging times.

However, silicon has traditionally expanded during charging and powering. ETnews presumes that Apple has surmounted this problem, though it offers no details.

"Apple seems to be working hard from the material development stage to boost battery performance," an unspecified source told the publication.

ETnews does also say that Apple is researching the use of carbon nanotunes (CNTs) as a conductive material that could improve battery performance. ETnews does have a

Apple has not commented, but ETnews industry sources say that the expectation is that the company will launch this new form of battery in its devices after 2025. Its these sources that give the publication its good track record for information, though it's less clear how good ETnews is at interpreting Apple's plans.

That's also the year by which Apple has committed to 100% recycled cobalt in its batteries.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Any chance to see a Solid State Battery for any consumer electronics in the near future ( say, < 2030)?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    What about solar battery regeneration? A lot of people use their phones outside. Would it be possible to install solar cells behind the display?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,384moderator
    Any chance to see a Solid State Battery for any consumer electronics in the near future ( say, < 2030)?
    They are targeting EVs first, around 2028:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/toyota-inks-deal-to-mass-produce-solid-state-ev-batteries-with-932-mile

That says an EV will be able to charge in 10 minutes. Even if solid state batteries in consumer electronics had lower capacity, being able to charge so quickly would negate that downside because you could just plug it in anywhere for a couple of minutes to get full capacity or worst-case carry a battery pack and do the same.

With any new technology, there's an issue scaling it. Apple probably has prototypes of really advanced batteries but they need to figure out how to make 250+ million of them per year.
    williamlondonFileMakerFellerAlex1Nwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 4 of 22
    davendaven Posts: 706member
    The rumor makes sense. Apple working at both ends of the energy equation for computers and if it gives an Apple car a range far beyond what current EVs have, it would be a game changer.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 5 of 22
    What I mostly hear about are solid state batteries that NASA is working on.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    You can be sure the most valuable company in the World that happens to use batteries in almost all its products is researching battery technologies. However, there are limitations and risks. At the limit, you could have a nuclear powered phone but if you drop it, accidentally, take out a city. Safety-conscious applications such as aircraft and e-bikes that may be recharged in the home have moved to a less energy-dense lithium battery technology LiFePO4. Fast-charging will always degrade a battery's longevity, regardless of technology. Battery chemistries and charging strategies are a "bag of hurt". 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    carbon nanotunes” sound like music to my ears. And they are “conductive” too.
     :D 😂
    edited November 2023 watto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 8 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,841member
    timmillea said:
    You can be sure the most valuable company in the World that happens to use batteries in almost all its products is researching battery technologies. However, there are limitations and risks. At the limit, you could have a nuclear powered phone but if you drop it, accidentally, take out a city. Safety-conscious applications such as aircraft and e-bikes that may be recharged in the home have moved to a less energy-dense lithium battery technology LiFePO4. Fast-charging will always degrade a battery's longevity, regardless of technology. Battery chemistries and charging strategies are a "bag of hurt". 
    Actually Apple has done very little in this field although you are right, it should be seeking to improve its battery efforts. 

With regards to silicon carbon batteries, both Huawei and Honor are shipping phones with them. 

As for fast charging and battery degradation, there is more to it than just those two factors. 

From personal experience of having used (and abused) fast charging for many years, none of my phones have required battery upgrades due to battery degradation issues. 

roundaboutnow
  • Reply 9 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,530member
    Seems crazy?

Is it really a strategic technology for computers? For cars, most certainly at this point in the EV adoption curve, but computers? Isn't a battery like the 3rd or 4th, or higher, most expensive part of mobile computer?

Display, SoC, cellular modem, then the battery?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,458member
    tyler82 said:
    What about solar battery regeneration? A lot of people use their phones outside. Would it be possible to install solar cells behind the display?
    Never leave devices out in the sun, it would cause overheating. 

Alex1Nwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 11 of 22
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,387member
    Sounds great... but it makes me think of Liquid Metal and sapphire iPhone screens (two rumored materials advancements from Apple that never panned out). I guess it also makes me the of the fabled Apple 5G cellular modem. Here's hoping, though! 

watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 12 of 22
    tyler82 said:
    The math doesn't work. Full sunlight on an iPhone 15 screen would produce about 9W. High efficiency solar cells might convert 22% of that, giving you about 2W of electric power. A transparent display is impossible, so you're going to block a lot of sunlight with the light emitting pixels. LEDs can't be transparent, as the light would emit in all directions, not just towards the viewer. Even with transparent areas between opaque pixels, I doubt you could get a fill ratio of less than 80%, and the transparent layer and screen surface will reflect a few % each. So you might get 100mW of power in full sunlight. I imagine such a display might consume more than that in extra power to make the transparency possible.

williamhAlex1Nappleinsideruserwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Half a sentence missing from the article... ETnews does have a what?

"ETnews does also say that Apple is researching the use of carbon nanotunes (CNTs) as a conductive material that could improve battery performance. ETnews does have a

Apple has not commented, but ETnews industry sources say that the expectation is that the company will launch this new form of battery in its devices after 2025."

FileMakerFellerAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    tht said:
    Seems crazy?

Is it really a strategic technology for computers? For cars, most certainly at this point in the EV adoption curve, but computers? Isn't a battery like the 3rd or 4th, or higher, most expensive part of mobile computer?

Apple Vision Pro
    watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 15 of 22
    bsimpsen said:
    tyler82 said:
    The math doesn't work. Full sunlight on an iPhone 15 screen would produce about 9W. High efficiency solar cells might convert 22% of that, giving you about 2W of electric power. A transparent display is impossible, so you're going to block a lot of sunlight with the light emitting pixels. LEDs can't be transparent, as the light would emit in all directions, not just towards the viewer. Even with transparent areas between opaque pixels, I doubt you could get a fill ratio of less than 80%, and the transparent layer and screen surface will reflect a few % each. So you might get 100mW of power in full sunlight. I imagine such a display might consume more than that in extra power to make the transparency possible.

Just get a cheap solar PV panel with USB output from Aliexpress. Sit in the shade with device to better see the screen and avoid it over-heating, put the panel in the sun et voila. A panel about iPad size does the trick. I often do this with my MacBook Air & iPhone connected for battery worry-free use when 'semi-working' outside at hotels. 
    Alex1Nthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Apple's interest in better batteries is so they can make thinner devices while maintaining current battery life, not to make existing devices last longer. /s
    thtwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    tht said:
    Seems crazy?

Does not seem crazy to me at all for Apple to actively pursue this field with great interest and investment.

Why? Future Products and current small devices portfolio.

Vision Pro needs a separate battery via cable at the moment. This is clearly not what they want. Higher capacity, lower weight and fast charging seem core to the pain point at the moment to remove the need to tether a power pack. Remove it and lower the overall weight of the device is critical after the early adopter stage.

AirPods. Can't do a long haul flight on one charge. Would be greatly improved with longer battery life. Longer battery life will also unlock further assisted hearing and med tech use cases. Mission critical to get this done in the medium term to unlock further growth.

Apple Watch - can always use more battery life and may unlock new use cases for on device compute boosts in particular the neural engine for more advanced onboard Siri.
    williamlondondanoxwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 18 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,841member
    Apple's interest in better batteries is so they can make thinner devices while maintaining current battery life, not to make existing devices last longer. /s
    Ha! You jest but you may be right. 

https://bgr.com/tech/these-crazy-thin-batteries-are-the-key-ingredient-in-honors-magic-v2-foldable/
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 19 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,069member
    blastdoor said:
    Sounds great... but it makes me think of Liquid Metal and sapphire iPhone screens (two rumored materials advancements from Apple that never panned out). I guess it also makes me the of the fabled Apple 5G cellular modem. Here's hoping, though! 

Not all research development pans out, obviously, takes years of hard work and money, Wall Street will never understand and neither will most people. 
    watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 20 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,069member
    tht said:
    Seems crazy?

Like replacing Intel? That took about 13 years….
    watto_cobraBart Y