Apple confirms that there is no Apple Silicon 27-inch iMac in the works

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    It's time to let the 27" iMac go.  For me, the advantage of buying the 27" iMac is that for the price of a 5K monitor, you effectively got the rest of the computer for free.  That's not the case anymore.   I ended up getting an M1 Max Studio with an Apple Studio display a while back.  No regrets, it's a great machine.  Time to move on. 
    darkvaderwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    It’s going to be 27.5” and it is coming out 15 days after you buy your 24”.
    Or maybe 32" with M3 Max and Ultra.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 54
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    timmillea said:
    I don't think I have ever made a decree. I wouldn't know how to.

Apple could push out the Mac Studio with an M3 Max but the Studio would remain a hideous monstrosity of a design. It should never have been conceived. It should never have been released and the sooner it goes the better. Aesthetics are far more important than specifications and the Mac Studio is aesthetically offensive. 

This is what I meant when I said there is simply no need for it to exist anymore. Apple, please relieve us of it! 
    What are you blathering about?  You don't like easily accessible ports on the front?  Because those are one of Apple's best design choices in YEARS.

Or do you have a problem that it's big enough to be adequately cooled?  Maybe you don't like the storage (a wear component on ANY computer) not being soldered, because that doesn't generate enough e-waste for you?
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 54
    nubusnubus Posts: 575member
    saarek said:
    I’m a MacBook Pro guy, but for my daughters I’ve preorder an M3 iMac. They’re aged 8 & 10, so it should last around 10 years which will get them to university.
    Get them the MBA 13 and at home external displays + keyboards. The iMac can't be brought to schools, meetings, projects,... an iMac is stuck at a desk. And don't expect any computer to last 10 years. Apple won't deliver upgrades for more than 6 years based on most recent updates.
    williamlondondewme
  • Reply 45 of 54
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,067member

Once the flagship of this house's computing power, now relegated to a pre-teen's room...

The Apple Silicon iMac exists for education... 

Wow, you really need to get out more often. Go to any company that offers employees the choice of a Mac for their desktop and you'll see desks filled with iMacs. The M1 iMac... and certainly the new M3... are WAY more than powerful enough to do what most business people need a computer to do. Plus, its combination of long-term reliability, all-in-one convenience, connectivity, future OS support and far fewer incidences of malware--combined with greater employee satisfaction with Macs--make it a great choice for IT depts. 

You might as well wish on a star if you're somehow still wishing for a larger screen iMac. It ain't happening. For those who really need a screen larger that 24", Apple has offered a clear path forward: a superb Mini or even more powerful Studio, either paired with Apple's Studio display or (if you're on a tighter budget or need a 30"+ screen) the monitor of your choice. As for what's coming next, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 32" Apple Display. I don't think a 30" is differentiated enough from the current 27" display, but I could be wrong and 30" will be the second size offered by Apple. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobramattinoz
  • Reply 46 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,914member
    MacPro said:
    It’s going to be 27.5” and it is coming out 15 days after you buy your 24”.
    Or maybe 32" with M3 Max and Ultra.
    Don't count on it...
  • Reply 47 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,914member
    timmillea said:
    mike1 said:
    timmillea said:
    Next on the culling list is the Mac Studio. When a 14" MacBook Pro can outshine a Mac Pro in reported benchmarks, then the entire M3 SoC family can be fitted to a Mac Mini. There is simply no need for the Studio. 

Wow. That is a ridiculous conclusion. Everyone should stop developing new computers and chips now. timmillea has decreed that computers can no longer get faster/smaller/more efficient or better in any way. Do you seriously not believe that the Studio, Pro with M4 and M5 or whatever is coming won't have better benchmarks than the current M3?!
    I don't think I have ever made a decree. I wouldn't know how to.

Apple could push out the Mac Studio with an M3 Max but the Studio would remain a hideous monstrosity of a design. It should never have been conceived. It should never have been released and the sooner it goes the better. Aesthetics are far more important than specifications and the Mac Studio is aesthetically offensive. 

This is what I meant when I said there is simply no need for it to exist anymore. Apple, please relieve us of it! 
    Judging by sales, I don't think your assessment of design and capability of the Mac Studio is correct. It sells extremely well, even Apple has stated this. These are the great Macs you get when Jony Ive isn't involved to crapify everything with no ports, useless chamfered edges and thinness. A Mac isn't meant to just sit there and look pretty. This is the Jony Ive mentality and it's stupid and useless for Apple. Form/design over function isn't the way to go. 
    MacPromuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Apple practically invented the home computer, and practically invented the mouse, but those are the two main products it still can't win customers for.enter
    Before that “Apple” not a registered firm at that time invented the so called iPad nowadays .  ;)
  • Reply 49 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    timmillea said:

Next on the culling list is the Mac Studio. When a 14" MacBook Pro can outshine a Mac Pro in reported benchmarks, then the entire M3 SoC family can be fitted to a Mac Mini. There is simply no need for the Studio. 

I have three Minis and two Studios  They are hugely different machines for different uses.  The M2 Studio Ultra is the new Mac Pro for anyone that doesn't need to plug in cards. It is an amazing machine that no Mac mini can come close to at the present. The M3 Ultra will need the Studio casing for sure too.
    edited November 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobramike1
  • Reply 50 of 54
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,448member
    How many people would love to upgrade their Intel based iMacs but keep their 27 inch monitor/AV for their new ARM based Mac?

a-haaaaa !

One can't even sell the 27 inch display because it is tightly coupled with the old Intel CPU.
    You don't need to decouple we just need a minimal OS geared towards being a smart monitor that likes remote connecting to a other Macs. 
    Basically Apple TVOS with a Cable Universal Control. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 54
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,695member
    Apple practically invented the home computer, and practically invented the mouse, but those are the two main products it still can't win customers for.
    For the vast majority of home users, the smartphone and / or tablet has replaced their home computer. 
    Maybe you are right. My mom just made that transition.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    For the record  and addition to my previous text the nowadays Photo process was invented to. Needless to say Therefore the mouse. :p  
    edited November 2023
  • Reply 53 of 54
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member
    blastdoor said:
    sflocal said:
    The way I'm reading it is that there is no 27" iMac in the pipeline because they're busy working on a 32-35" iMac! :)
    Maybe, but I doubt they are going to specifically refute every possible iMac size. I interpret this to mean that there are currently no plans for any iMac other than the 24". That doesn't mean they will NEVER consider another more 'pro' iMac, but it sounds to me like they are saying people shouldn't hold their breath because there's nothing around the corner, and no plans around the corner either.

That's true, but the 27" did exist at one point, so it's logical that they would say that regarding a 27" model.

edited November 2023
  • Reply 54 of 54
    I was sure Apple had a larger iMac in the works, and was disappointed to realise they had not. Reading through some of the posts here, there is reason to prevent fragmenting the iMac market.

Introducing a 27" iMac could have fragmented the market, thus reducing the economics that come from scale.
    edited November 2023