Controversial Humane Ai Pin is here, costs $700, and requires a subscription

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Man, besides the Humane product demo looking alike an early Apple store, even their logo is familiar…can’t quite place it 

Also they need to spend some money on marketing; a stilted demo in an echo filled room with lackluster record and no background music is not a great introduction to a new product.
    Interesting ideas with the hand projection and interaction but 100% a skip for me.
    Besides the background AC hum, why on earth does the demo start in the muted mode every time I load it, forcing me to hun around for their custom video player UI’s unmute?
    edited November 2023 williamlondonronndarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    "Any time the microphone or camera is in use, a "trust light" is turned on for people to see"

How long until someone figures out how to turn that off?

I doubt anyone will bother. It's baked into the hardware so to turn that off is going to be hard - probably easiest to put a colored sticker over it. 

There's tons of other devices which can silently record things that are much better suited for the task - because they're designed for it.

byronlronnwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 41

Looks awkward to wear and interact with.
    Also they need to spend some money on marketing; a stilted demo in an echo filled room with lackluster record and no background music is not a great introduction to a new product.
    Interesting ideas with the hand projection and interaction but 100% a skip for me.
    Nah that was pretty smart. In today's world, you spend your money on development - make better products rather than better ads - and you need to be authentic, which is why the founders speak about their device, which is spot on. 

I've seen many cringe marketing overly glossy pitch perfectly ad-voice - that doesn't work anymore, the collective has moved on from it. Today's biggest adiences are watching ad hoc YouTubers with bad hair and incorrect spelling 10x or 100x more than the old TV stations - authenticity wins. 
    byronlronn
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Well, this is interesting. 

Unless they are too early, this is an obvious winner - productivity wise likely better than iPhone which is amazing. 

In terms of entertainment, it's clearly worse, you r Tik Tok videos won't look so good rendered by green lasers. But... it's not for that. 

Computers have become way too complex - AI with voice recognition offers a way out of that morass - the only visible way out. 

We've already thought of all the clever UI elements we could put on screens, but the complexity keeps growing. I am an engineer and I think the number of options in iPhone settings is ridiculous. There's way too much going on, nobody has time or the mind to learn all that. Add to this blockchain it gets even worse. 

This device is super impressive in terms of battery and power

And how it is to be used - the biggest hurdle - has already been shown in like 1000s of episodes of SciFi shows and movies, Star Trek and others. We know how to use this. 

Apple should be extremely worried, this is exactly the kind of thing that will kill them in the long term. Because Apple makes so much money from iPhone, it won't be easy to jump on this tech. 

I hope they don't sell out - this startup is epic, and I did not expect to say this after the headline. But that is really cool stuff and the obvious direction computing is going in the future. 
    byronlsflagelwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 41
    It's kind of cool as a demonstration and think piece, but as an actual product?  That you expect people to buy?  At those prices?

I expect this to have a Google Glass-esque reception and sales.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 41
    I find this amazing and fascinating and think it's actually quit brilliant. It will be something only wealthy people will have and it will decrease dependance on phones and kill that audience demographic on social media. ONE THING… I am concerned that because they are attached with magnets it will be VERY easy for anyone to just run up and snatch it. It should have a more secure way to attached it
    williamlondonjony0
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Interesting device, although it's really the software that's key. Their AI would have to be 1,000x as powerful as Siri, and have APIs into thousands of apps to be useful. But if it is, it can be a game changer just like CharGPT is (change the divide though, no one is going to wear that and have a sagging shirt).
  • Reply 28 of 41
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    What I found weird was the overall lack of excitement from any of the presenters, who looked and sounded as if they had spent around 10 minutes rehearsing this video. I know it's not fair or realistic to expect the sort of slick production you get from Apple (and to be fair, others), but as for many this will be the proverbial first impression of not just the device, but the company, then having the sounds of the presenters shoes literally shuffling on the floor audible right at the start just set it up to look amateurish, and it didn't really improve.
    sflagelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    I wonder if they would do better offering the device for $49.95 and a $49.95 per month subscription fee (with the first month included in the purchase price).  It doubles the monthly cost, but with nothing up front.

While there is a fair bit of technology packed into the device (camera, projector, microphone, speaker, bluetooth, wi-fi, cellular, SOC processor, small battery, wireless charging, and the ever important trust light), essentially all the smarts are external.  How useful is this when there is no (or little) cellular service?  My phone can do all sorts of things offline.  What is the battery life?  Obviously it has a wireless power transfer between battery pack and the pin itself.  The greater the distance, the lower the efficiency.  Passing power through the heavy jacket Bethany is shown wearing would, I expect, incur a significant efficiency cost.  This might explain why there is no battery life mentioned.  How secure is the magnetic connection between the unit and the battery?  I understand the aesthetic reasoning behind separating the two, but I envision many units lost to being bumped or jostled.  It's winter and you take off your parka only to find your pin on the floor, after you step on it.  Hopefully the case is water proof/ resistant, else the salt-snow slush might get in.

I don't know...  the whole thing seems rather gimmicky to me...  like AI...  and AR.  Hey!  Combined them and you get AIR Artificial Intelligence Reality.  Is that the Matrix?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41
    The co-founders presenting this video must have been working a lot. Man, they were tired and ready to drop.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 31 of 41
    I watched the whole video. Like Glass, this is destined to turn wearers into public pariahs, "Glassholes, the Sequel." No one wants a pin with a camera and mic pointed at them. So a giant FAIL in the marketplace for sure. BUT... BUT... its AI capabilities are fascinating. What I mainly kept thinking as I watched the video was, "So much of this would be great if built into an iPhone and/or Watch." Let's face it: the iPhone (and smart phones in general) have been mired for a while in a lack of innovative and useful advancement except for the camera systems and--in Android world--different form factors. And Apple seems to have been caught flat-footed when it comes to AI advances. If I were Tim Cook, I'd be looking to buy this company immediately. 
    williamlondonsflagel
  • Reply 32 of 41
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    charlesn said:
    I watched the whole video. Like Glass, this is destined to turn wearers into public pariahs, "Glassholes, the Sequel." No one wants a pin with a camera and mic pointed at them. So a giant FAIL in the marketplace for sure. BUT... BUT... its AI capabilities are fascinating. What I mainly kept thinking as I watched the video was, "So much of this would be great if built into an iPhone and/or Watch." Let's face it: the iPhone (and smart phones in general) have been mired for a while in a lack of innovative and useful advancement except for the camera systems and--in Android world--different form factors. And Apple seems to have been caught flat-footed when it comes to AI advances. If I were Tim Cook, I'd be looking to buy this company immediately. 
    I don't really see anything that couldn't be replicated through an App on a watch.  If you've lifting your palm up to project a screen, why not lift your wrist up to see a screen?  This is almost like just giving your the minimum hardware you need to run a Siri that has AI.  But we already own hardware that can do all that.  I bet before these guys even get to a V2, you'll be able to access this AI stuff over actual Siri, even if that means via a 3rd party App on your watch or AirPods.
    edited November 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 33 of 41
    roakeroake Posts: 812member
    "Any time the microphone or camera is in use, a "trust light" is turned on for people to see"

How long until someone figures out how to turn that off?

Black masking tape?  More likely a protective shell that covers the sides, but covers the light also.

:-/

darkvaderwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 34 of 41
    roakeroake Posts: 812member
    His passcode was 2001 — the film known for its murderous AI. lol
    Haha!  Good catch!
    darkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

Unless they are too early, this is an obvious winner - productivity wise likely better than iPhone which is amazing. 

In terms of entertainment, it's clearly worse, you r Tik Tok videos won't look so good rendered by green lasers. But... it's not for that. 

Computers have become way too complex - AI with voice recognition offers a way out of that morass - the only visible way out. 

We've already thought of all the clever UI elements we could put on screens, but the complexity keeps growing. I am an engineer and I think the number of options in iPhone settings is ridiculous. There's way too much going on, nobody has time or the mind to learn all that. Add to this blockchain it gets even worse. 

And how it is to be used - the biggest hurdle - has already been shown in like 1000s of episodes of SciFi shows and movies, Star Trek and others. We know how to use this. 

Apple should be extremely worried, this is exactly the kind of thing that will kill them in the long term. Because Apple makes so much money from iPhone, it won't be easy to jump on this tech. 

I hope they don't sell out - this startup is epic, and I did not expect to say this after the headline. But that is really cool stuff and the obvious direction computing is going in the future. 
    I’m curious why you think Apple should be “extremely worried”?  If these are successful, Apple will just make one of their own. Or acquire the company. Both of these scenarios are more likely in the long term than the possibility of a start-up killing the largest corporation on the planet over a wearable pin. 
    edited November 2023 muthuk_vanalingamdarkvaderwatto_cobrawilliamhjony0
  • Reply 36 of 41
    XedXed Posts: 2,580member
    Japhey said:

I’m curious why you think Apple should be “extremely worried”?  If these are successful, Apple will just make one of their own. Or acquire the company. Both of these scenarios are more likely in the long term than the possibility of a start-up killing the largest corporation on the planet over a wearable pin. 
    Based on their demo attempting to have an Apple-like aesthetic without any real attention to detail I’d say their entire focus is to get someone to acquire them without any real due diligence.
    sflagelwatto_cobrawilliamlondonwilliamh
  • Reply 37 of 41
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Apple Watch will do all that eventually. I am not sure why it's necessary.
    sflagelwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 41
    XedXed Posts: 2,580member
    netrox said:
    Apple Watch will do all that eventually. I am not sure why it's necessary.
    What is that? Project a low quality on your hand? I don’t see that happening.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 41
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,386member
    This looks like an interesting alternative to the Apple Watch for some specific use cases. Just like the Apple Watch, I don’t see this as a threat to smartphones. Apple could easily perform several of the same functions with the Apple Watch plus AirPods combination. I don’t see anyone abandoning their iPhone and relying on an Apple Watch or this device alone as their only portal to their connected life. How would someone mindlessly gaze at TikTok and YouTube videos, monitor their Facebook and Twitter/X feeds, or journal about their latest chicken salad or latte experiences with only an Apple Watch or this device? Probably not going to happen any time soon. 

When you’re using your smartphone in what used to be considered a social engagement, with expectations of common courtesy, you are clearly signaling to all of them, family and friends included, that you don’t give one rip about being mentally present for them. After all, the only truly important things in life are funneled through your smartphone’s screen. How would that translate to you staring at your hand? Those around you may think you might be mentally present, making untoward hand gestures, or practicing your pantomime tricks at the dinner table. Uncomfortable… 

What happens when your hands are preoccupied? Like driving, riding a bicycle, eating chicken wings, ribs, or omg, hot buttered popcorn? Is the hand based UI rated for operation in these challenging environments? Maybe too much light scattering from the melted butter on your hand to get a good presentation.

All kidding aside, the UI and functional paradigm that this exhibits is interesting and worthy of further exploration. I could see a ruggedized version being used in lieu of body cameras for law enforcement, especially if the device can do things like perform facial recognition in real time in addition to recording video and audio.

I’d imagine that the principals in this venture have already waved this under Apple’s nose to give Apple a whiff before going too far in their development. If Apple found it irresistible they probably would have snapped them up already.
    OctoMonkey
  • Reply 40 of 41
    dewme said:
    This looks like an interesting alternative to the Apple Watch for some specific use cases. Just like the Apple Watch, I don’t see this as a threat to smartphones. Apple could easily perform several of the same functions with the Apple Watch plus AirPods combination. I don’t see anyone abandoning their iPhone and relying on an Apple Watch or this device alone as their only portal to their connected life. How would someone mindlessly gaze at TikTok and YouTube videos, monitor their Facebook and Twitter/X feeds, or journal about their latest chicken salad or latte experiences with only an Apple Watch or this device? Probably not going to happen any time soon. 
    Suddenly it sounds a lot more appealing!
    OctoMonkeyronnjony0