Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 review: Budget-friendly HomeKit Secure Video camera

Posted:
in General Discussion

Eufy's Security Indoor Cam C120 defies the notion that HomeKit-compatible cameras are typically pricey. While many HomeKit cameras can cost over $70, this affordable option won't break the bank.

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120

HomeKit is a worthy choice for iPhone users because it incorporates compatible home appliances into the Apple ecosystem and lets you control them straight from your devices.

Additionally, for cameras, Apple offers HomeKit Secure Video, which encrypts your recorded videos with an iCloud+ subscription. This especially comes in handy if you have a plan that offers 2 TB of iCloud storage because then you can add unlimited cameras to your account.

HomeKit-compatible cameras are often priced higher than their competitors, which may deter certain consumers from selecting them as their primary smart home ecosystem.

The Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 goes against the high-price notion by being an affordable security camera that works with HomeKit Secure Video and your HomeKit devices.

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 -- Simple design

Measuring 2.24 x 2.24 x 4.11 inches and weighing 3.68 ounces, the Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 is small enough to fit in tight corners and light enough to mount on a wall or the ceiling.

The camera on the front can capture video up to 2K resolution at 125-degree FOV (Field of View). However, if you are using the C120 with HomeKit, then the resolution is capped at 1080p.

Night vision is also offered on the C120, and it will automatically turn on when the environment around it gets dark. When this happens, the feed and recordings will be in black-and-white and not in color. There is also a microphone and LED indicator on the front. If you choose, the indicator can be turned off within the Home app.

Underneath the head of the C120 is an adjustable neck that can be tilted roughly 225 degrees and swivels approximately 180 degrees. This flexibility makes it easy to position the camera to your liking and capture the exact area you want to see.

On the back of the C120 is the micro-USB port to power the camera -- with the included 6.7-foot cable -- and a button to pair and reset the camera if needed. There is also a speaker for two-way conversations through the C120.

The device also features a microSD card slot, allowing you to save recorded videos for later viewing without paying a subscription fee for cloud storage. A microSD card is not included with the C120 and must be purchased separately.

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 from behind
Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 from behind

Underneath are two holes that allow the C120 to connect to the included mounting plate. Connecting the mount is easy -- inserting the pegs into the container and sliding them in until they feel secure.

If you want to unmount the camera, then all it takes is sliding out the pegs from the base of the camera with a little force. When mounting the camera on a wall or ceiling, make sure to attach the plate first before connecting it to the camera. The process only requires screwing in the two included screws.

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 mounted
Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 mounted

If you decide to mount the camera on the ceiling, there is an option within the Eufy Security app to flip the picture so it's not upside down when viewing it. The C120 is only for indoor use and should not be placed outside, or it'll be subject to damage.

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 -- App connectivity

There are two ways you can connect the Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 to your device -- either through the Home app or the Eufy Security app.

Both apps utilize identical code to pair with your device, which can be located beneath the camera. Although it is not difficult to access, you must pair the camera to your device before mounting it, as the mounting plate will obstruct the code otherwise.

Depending on which app you primarily use, it will offer different features and settings you can use with the camera.

Eufy Security app

The C120 comes with its own native app called the Eufy Security app. This app offers various customization options to control the video quality and notification settings. You can even set up sound and motion automations within the app.

The camera's video, audio, and notification settings can be easily customized to your preferences. With many options available, you can fine-tune each area of the camera settings to your liking.

Eufy Security app
Eufy Security app

For video settings, you can set the streaming quality, recording quality, and if you want a watermark of a timestamp or Eufy's logo in your video. You can also choose if you want continuous recording enabled when you insert a microSD card into the camera.

Audio settings are the most basic settings in the camera. It allows you to turn the microphone on and off if you want audio to be captured when the camera is recording video and what the speaker's volume is set to.

Notifications can be turned on or off based on detected sounds, such as humans, pets, crying, or all motions and sounds. Each category can be set individually. You can also decide how you want notifications to be presented to you -- if it's only through text, text first and then a thumbnail, or both being delivered simultaneously.

One feature unique to the camera from the native app is Pet Command. This allows you to record a command, and it'll be played automatically from the camera when it detects an animal in a preset activity zone.

This feature is beneficial for the times when you are out of the house, and you don't want your dog on the couch. The C120 will detect the dog jumping on the sofa and will automatically play a recording of you saying "Get off" -- or any other command you set -- when it does.

However, this feature is unavailable if you connect the camera to the Home app. You can also share the camera with friends and family who have the Eufy Security app on their devices.

Home app

If you don't care for these additional features or don't want the extra app taking up space on your device, you can pair the C120 directly in the Home app.

Setting it up is the same as connecting any other HomeKit device, and it only takes a few minutes to put everything together. Once you've completed all the necessary steps, the C120 will automatically be added to the top of your Home dashboard.

Whenever you open the Home app, it will automatically refresh the dashboard and display the view's timestamp. When viewing the feed from there, you will only get a snapshot. To access the live feed, you must tap each camera individually.

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 view and settings in Home app
Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 view and settings in Home app

The setup for the live feed is simple and puts what the camera sees as the center of attention. You can zoom in and out within the view to get a closer look at a specific area.

Located on the bottom is a log of previously recorded moments that were triggered by motion happening within an activity zone. Recordings are kept for up to ten days.

There is also a talk button that allows you to speak to anyone in the room through the camera. Just like with the speaker on the back, this allows for two-way conversations through the C120.

There is a button on the bottom right with four squares. It allows easy access to other HomeKit accessories in the same room.

Located in the upper center of the screen is the name of the camera. When you tap on it, a menu displays all the other cameras in your home. By tapping on another camera, you can switch to its live feed. Additionally, in the upper left corner, you will find an "X" button to close the live feed, a button for activating picture-in-picture for multitasking, and access to the camera's settings.

While the settings offered are mostly the same as the ones in the Eufy Security app, some specific features are quite beneficial. This includes changing the recording options, setting facial recognition, and having the C120 activate different automations.

Recording options let you choose if you want just streaming, recording, or both to be enabled at all times or just when you're home. It also allows you to set when you want the camera to start recording. This can be set to all the time or when a specific object appears in the frame -- like a package, animal, or person.

Facial recognition allows the Home app to intelligently identify people in-frame. It'll reference identified people in the Photos app and use it to identify them if they are recorded. Yet, sometimes, it won't recognize the person, so you can manually identify them.

Automated integration is useful for triggering actions upon detecting motion. For example, lights can turn on when someone enters a room, or the heat can activate upon detecting motion.

While the C120 works great with the Home app, there were some instances where the camera went offline. We thought it was the camera itself, but it was online in its native app, so it seems to be the HomeKit causing the issue. However, restarting the camera through the Eufy Security app seemed to fix the problem.

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 -- A cost-efficient HomeKit camera to buy

The Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 is one of the best ways to add HomeKit Secure Video to your home. With beautiful camera quality and multiple customization options, the cost-efficient price is just the cherry on top.

The camera is retailed lower because most useful features are put behind a paywall -- like video storage. However, if you already subscribe to iCloud+ or one of the Apple One plans, you don't need to worry about those additional fees since these features are included in your subscription.

Setting up the C120 is straightforward and doesn't require advanced knowledge or skill. Whether placing it on a table or the wall, it only takes a few steps to configure the camera to your liking.

By pairing with the Home app, you can access all HomeKit features, including motion alerts and saved video recordings. It's important to note that some features may require an iCloud+ subscription, so make sure to check your plan before making a purchase.

If you want to centralize your home security devices and dive deeper into the HomeKit ecosystem, the Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 is a great place to start. It provides top-notch HomeKit security at an unbeatable price compared to its competitors.

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 -- Pros

• Budget-friendly

• Easy installation

• Works with HomeKit Secure Video

• MicroSD card slot

Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 -- Cons

• Goes offline sometimes

• HomeKit code is underneath the camera

• HomeKit only records up to 1080p

• HomeKit limits unique features offered within the native app

Rating: 4 out of 5

Where to purchase the Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120

You can purchase the Eufy Security Indoor Cam C120 from their website for $42.99. It's available in white.

It's also available on Amazon for the same price and color option, or as a two-pack for $75.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Wow, It supports HSV and it's only $43? I'll buy one or more and recommend them to my friends if they are half decent. My only concern is that buying products like this from some companies and delivering them to Canada can result in steep "customs brokerage fees". When I buy through the Apple Store, Apple handles all that. At this moment, they aren't available on the Apple Store. They don't appear on Amazon's Canadian website at this time. So I may have to wait a while before I can buy them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I agree this is a no-brainer and runs in line with other non-HomeKit options like Wyze cameras. 

It's new products like this that makes me head-scratch why more HomeKit friendly vendors like Eve omit the very important HSV option in their offerings like their recent doorbell cam. Giving companies like Eufy and Arlo an opportunity to incorporate HSV in their less expensive offerings will certainly have me switching from Eve. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I currently use several Eufy cameras (Indoor Cam Pan&Tilt and Outdoor 2C Pro), and they've been pretty good overall. I'm a happy customer.
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Looks like it’s on Black Friday early sale on the Canada Eufy site ca.eufy.com for $50 each (regular $65) and free shipping in Canada.  No worries about brokers fees as these are shipped within Canada. 

said:
    Wow, It supports HSV and it's only $43? I'll buy one or more and recommend them to my friends if they are half decent. My only concern is that buying products like this from some companies and delivering them to Canada can result in steep "customs brokerage fees". When I buy through the Apple Store, Apple handles all that. At this moment, they aren't available on the Apple Store. They don't appear on Amazon's Canadian website at this time. So I may have to wait a while before I can buy them.

22july2013watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I helped install one of these for an elderly couple and I would pretty much wrote the same review and reach the same conclusion about this camera. We have also  the Eufy solar-powered camera model installed although that one does not integrate with HomeKit yet at the time of installation. 

As with everything using this with Home
    app though, it tends to limits the device full
    capabilities compared to its native app. 
    NoGodsNoMasterswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    space2001 said:
    Looks like it’s on Black Friday early sale on the Canada Eufy site ca.eufy.com for $50 each (regular $65) and free shipping in Canada.  No worries about brokers fees as these are shipped within Canada. 

said:

Well, that's good to hear, but the problem is this line from their product description, "HomeKit available via update. When opening HomeKit, users must add the device in the Eufy Security app and then complete the activation process." In other words, they require that you register with them using their app first, which means they can obtain whatever personal information their app decides to take. I read the App Privacy statement for iOS, and all they seem to be taking from you is your email address and userid. For me, the whole point in choosing HomeKit Secure Video is so that the camera company cannot get information about me. I admit that an email address isn't much information, but I'm unsure if I will stand by my principles or cave on this issue for this nice camera. You see, with an email address they can purchase all kinds of information about me from Google, FaceBook, or commie China. That's probably how they can recoup some of their cost. Even worse, I can't tell if the camera will function at all if the Eufy app is removed. But I can probably mitigate the risk by using a one time email address that I've never used elsewhere. Hmm, I think I'll probably buy one camera, and determine how bad the situation is. If it's not bad, I'll buy more and recommend it to my friends and family who rely on my advice. P.S. Eufy is owned by Anker and Anker is the Chinese company that has flat-out lied about the security and privacy of their products, causing Linus to refuse to work with them anymore, or even to take their money. Google it.
    edited November 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    22july2013 said:

P.S. Eufy is owned by Anker and Anker is the Chinese company that has flat-out lied about the security and privacy of their products, causing Linus to refuse to work with them anymore, or even to take their money. Google it.
    Pretty sure that was Eufy itself that made the privacy snafu, not their parent Anker (though Linus dropped them both), unless there's been an additional incident that I'm not aware of.
    edited November 2023
  • Reply 8 of 20
    space2001 said:

said:

Well, that's good to hear, but the problem is this line from their product description, "HomeKit available via update. When opening HomeKit, users must add the device in the Eufy Security app and then complete the activation process." In other words, they require that you register with them using their app first, which means they can obtain whatever personal information their app decides to take. I read the App Privacy statement for iOS, and all they seem to be taking from you is your email address and userid. For me, the whole point in choosing HomeKit Secure Video is so that the camera company cannot get information about me. I admit that an email address isn't much information, but I'm unsure if I will stand by my principles or cave on this issue for this nice camera. You see, with an email address they can purchase all kinds of information about me from Google, FaceBook, or commie China. That's probably how they can recoup some of their cost. Even worse, I can't tell if the camera will function at all if the Eufy app is removed. But I can probably mitigate the risk by using a one time email address that I've never used elsewhere. Hmm, I think I'll probably buy one camera, and determine how bad the situation is. If it's not bad, I'll buy more and recommend it to my friends and family who rely on my advice. P.S. Eufy is owned by Anker and Anker is the Chinese company that has flat-out lied about the security and privacy of their products, causing Linus to refuse to work with them anymore, or even to take their money. Google it.
    just use a fake email address to setup and then use just HSV. 

I use 2C cameras with solar panels and they work very well. But HSV sometimes misses events. 
  • Reply 9 of 20
    space2001 said:

said:

I am pretty sure if the HomeKit qr code is there on the camera you can just scan the code with Home app and it would register. Perhaps you need to buy the newer model instead of the old one with the previous fw installed. 
  • Reply 10 of 20
    ForumPost said:
    space2001 said:

said:

I am pretty sure if the HomeKit qr code is there on the camera you can just scan the code with Home app and it would register. Perhaps you need to buy the newer model instead of the old one with the previous fw installed. 
    That goes against their own words, "HomeKit available via update. When opening HomeKit, users must add the device in the Eufy Security app and then complete the activation process."
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Honkers said:
    22july2013 said:

P.S. Eufy is owned by Anker and Anker is the Chinese company that has flat-out lied about the security and privacy of their products, causing Linus to refuse to work with them anymore, or even to take their money. Google it.
    Pretty sure that was Eufy itself that made the privacy snafu, not their parent Anker (though Linus dropped them both), unless there's been an additional incident that I'm not aware of.

Anker, as the owner of Eufy, is as responsible for the denial of wrongdoing as Eufy itself.

Eufy explicitly lied about their security, and denied allegations after it was discovered.  Anker has since mostly come clean, but if 22July2013 is correct about another point in another part of their message, their terms of service still require loading their app before enabling Home support, then that's still a red flag.

One would think that having their hand slapped in the media would change how they operate.  Evidence in other instances suggests that's not always the case.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 20
    beowulfschmidt said:

their terms of service still require loading their app
    before enabling Home support, then that's still a red flag.
    If I understand correctly, it's not so much a terms of service issue, but a firmware update that needs to be delivered through their app in order to support HomeKit.  Which is fair enough, lots of devices update via connected apps.

If you have concerns about privacy from a manufacturer of a camera that you use in your home, then I'd say the use of an app to temporarily manage it is the least of worries.
    edited November 2023
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Honkers said:
    beowulfschmidt said:

their terms of service still require loading their app
    before enabling Home support, then that's still a red flag.
    If I understand correctly, it's not so much a terms of service issue, but a firmware update that needs to be delivered through their app in order to support HomeKit.  Which is fair enough, lots of devices update via connected apps.

If you have concerns about privacy from a manufacturer of a camera that you use in your home, then I'd say the use of an app to temporarily manage it is the least of worries.

If you haven't seen what Eufy did with the video captured by their cameras, I suggest looking it up.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    So don’t use their app, or set it not to upload thumbnails. Use fake details to do a firmware update. Then stick with HSV.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Honkers said:
    beowulfschmidt said:

their terms of service still require loading their app before enabling Home support, then that's still a red flag.

If you haven't seen what Eufy did with the video captured by their cameras, I suggest looking it up.
    I'm well aware of Eufy's history.  But installing an app to update a connected devices firmware (a relatively standard and reasonable dependency) has little scope for invading your privacy, unless you choose to grant it access to all of your iPhone's private information.  The far bigger worry would be the camera itself.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    From what I understand there are some of these cameras that ship with a HomeKit code sticker on them.  These cameras can be added directly to HomeKit without using the Eufy App.  

Other versions of these cameras ship with a generic QR code that does not work with HomeKit.  These cameras have to be added to the Eufy app first, and then you can turn on the setting that exposes the camera to HomeKit and allows you to add it.

I bought a two pack of these cameras off Amazon and received ones with the generic QR code sticker on them.  I was able to add them to the Eufy App, and then get them working in HomeKit.  I had them set up this way and everything worked pretty well in my opinion.  It was saving videos to iCloud (I have an Apple One Family plan), identifying people by name using my photo album, I was getting notifications, etc.

Then I decided I wanted to get rid of the Eufy App hoping that might keep the cameras from using their server, and that is where the trouble came in.  At first I just deleted the two cameras from the Eufy App while the cameras were still plugged in.  As soon as I did that the cameras stopped working in HomeKit.  I did some more reading and found out that others had this problem too.  I saw a couple people say that you had to unplug the cameras from power before deleting them from the Eufy App or this would happen.

So I had to delete them out of HomeKit, add them to the Eufy App again, add them to HomeKit again, and set everything up all over.  Once I finally got it all up and running again I left it alone for a few days and made sure notifications, etc. were all working.  Then I unhooked the cameras from power, and deleted them from the Eufy app.  I plugged the cameras back in, and a few minutes later they showed up in HomeKit again.  However, from that time on they no longer saved videos to iCloud, identified people, or sent notifications.

So pretty much as far as I can tell all of the HomeKit Secure Video features require you to use the Eufy App if you get the cameras with the generic QR code on them.

I have not been able to find if there is a way to look at UPC numbers or anything like that to try to figure out if the camera is going to have the HomeKit sticker, or QR code sticker before buying and opening the camera.  I'm not sure if the ones with HomeKit stickers are older, newer, or random throughout their production.  If anyone here can comment and help me figure it out it would be greatly appreciated.  I was really happy with the quality of the cameras, I just don't really like how I had to have the Eufy app installed and set up in order to make them work.

Right now I've got the Ecobee Smart Camera to try it out and I am not impressed.  It was easy to add to HomeKit without using the Ecobee app, I was able to get it set up to record to HomeKit Secure Video, and notifications and everything worked for a while, but then it stopped.  I rebooted the camera and it worked again for a little while and now it has stopped again.  I'm not sure why it keeps losing access to HKSV.  The night vision on it is pretty much worthless also.  It shows the shelf it is sitting on and that is about it, the rest of the garage is mostly blacked out.  The Eufy camera would see my whole garage in the dark.  I am very happy with my Ecobee thermostat, but between the night vision and dropping HKSV, I don't think it is worth the money.

I've got the Aqara G3 on order to try out next.

appleinsiderusermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I believe that HKSV requires the Homebase to work (not the app per se). 

I don’t think the cameras can work directly with HKSV as they are battery powered and don’t stay on the WiFi all the time, so HomeKit gets sad when they save power. 
  • Reply 18 of 20
    The Eufy C120 is not battery powered, it is powered by a USB adapter and micro-usb cable.  Another thing I liked over the Ecobee which uses a transformer with built in cable and barrel plug for power.  It's easy to buy a different length/color micro USB cable if I want one, much harder to replace the Ecobee transformer/cord.
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I have five HomePod Minis, two first gen HomePods, and 5 Apple TV 4K (can't remember mix of generations), so I have no shortage of "hubs".  I do wish HomeKit would let me select which one is used as the main "hub" as I think that sometimes causes me issues, but that is a different story/probem (I think).
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I have five HomePod Minis, two first gen HomePods, and 5 Apple TV 4K (can't remember mix of generations), so I have no shortage of "hubs".  I do wish HomeKit would let me select which one is used as the main "hub" as I think that sometimes causes me issues, but that is a different story/probem (I think).
    Yeah, you have to reboot them in the right sequence to nudge one to become king