Apple doles out fourth visionOS beta to developers

Posted:
in visionOS

Apple has handed out the fourth developer beta of visionOS for the Apple Vision Pro headset, with development continuing on until its early 2024 release.

Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro

The fourth beta for visionOS can be downloaded by developers to their Mac, which serves as the development platform for Apple Vision Pro apps. In the vast majority of instances, the beta will only be used on a Mac and not the headset itself, since Apple tightly controls the release of developer kits.

Developers are able to use the updated visionOS within Xcode, as the updates tend to include changes to the visionOS simulator.

The release is the fourth developer beta for the headset's operating system. The third arrived on August 29, while the second beta was issued on July 25.

The fourth build is number 21N5259j, replacing the third beta, build number 21N5233f.

While AppleInsider normally advises that users avoid installing beta operating systems or other beta software onto primary or "mission critical" devices due to the small chance of data loss, the situation is a bit different here. Those who have Apple's loaner hardware will want to install the latest betas as soon as they become available.

It is likely that Apple will make more headsets available in the coming months, as the company will want to have software available for the headset to ensure a smooth launch. Though not very developer will have access to the headset, many will be able to try it out via Apple Vision Pro labs.

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I am interested  in whether this device will succeed or flop. It is wonderful high tech, but will only be as good as the software  and video that supports it. I see it, for me, mainly as an entertainment device. I don't see myself working on my computer wearing this device. Not seeing the added value.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I am interested  in whether this device will succeed or flop. It is wonderful high tech, but will only be as good as the software  and video that supports it. I see it, for me, mainly as an entertainment device. I don't see myself working on my computer wearing this device. Not seeing the added value.
    Reports of screen fidelity within the AVP are saying that it's easily accurate enough to read text without straining and it should be possible to do fine detail work. So I'm curious to see if it can replace a monitor and I can do FileMaker development in the spatial environment. Exciting times!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I'm getting it on day one because I'm a bleeding edge adopter, but I think this product could go mass market even at $3500 if it has enough CPU/GPU power, the software is fully there, and the visual effect is clear enough. A car's ASP is in the tens of thousands USD and there are over a billion of cars in the world.

The VisionPro should include an M3 chip now that it's been introduced, and that may be enough CPU/GPU power already.
    The software catalogue is going to take a while and could easily be helped or hampered by how Apple sets up VisionOS. The rules around emulation are definitely very concerning, as that will cool off some types of development and restrict compatibility in some workflows. I also think that augmented reality applications that dynamically inform you about what you're looking at are absolutely essential for this and it's not clear if this will be possible due to privacy restrictions.  
    Finally for the visual clarity, I guess we'll have to experience it ourselves to see if those micro OLEDs are good enough or another jump in resolution or refresh rate is needed. I'm guessing it's just barely good enough, and a doubling in resolution with an increased refresh will be noticeable and a key selling point in a few years.

Also, people should not worry about size and weight, but instead cushioning and weight distribution. AirPods Max are by far the heaviest consumer headphones on the market, but they are supremely comfortable because they distribute the weight over a wide area with a soft mesh that breathes very well. I think Apple should add weight by including a battery module on the back to help counterbalance the necessary weight on the front, then they could distribute that weight over the top of the head easier rather than being forced to support all the weight on your nose bridge or the skin on your face. Military helmets, which are worn all day, are over 3 lbs, over 3X the weight of the current iteration of VisionPro.