Epic sci-fi saga 'Foundation' will return to Apple TV+ for a third season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

The quest to rebuild civilization following the collapse of the Galactic Empire will continue, as Apple has announced that it will renew "Foundation" for a third season.

Foundation renewed for third season
'Foundation' renewed for a third season

"Foundation" is based on the Isaac Asimov series of the same name. The story follows a group of exiles on a journey to save humanity and rebuild civilization during the fall of the Galactic Empire.

"This time, the stakes for Foundation and Empire are even higher as the Mule takes center stage, along with fan-favorites Bayta, Toran, Ebling and Magnifico Giganticus," showrunner and executive producer David S. Goyer said in a press release.

Apple has not given a date for when the third season is expected to premiere.

Skydance Television produces the show and features a talented cast, including Emmy-nominated actors Jared Harris and Lee Pace, Lou Llobell, Leah Harvey, Laura Birn, Cassian Bilton, and Terrence Mann.

"To watch 'Foundation' become such a global hit has been beyond exciting with audiences around the world continuing to be captivated week after week by this dramatic and compelling journey to save humanity," said Matt Cherniss, head of programming for Apple TV+.

"We can't wait for everyone to experience what is in store for characters old and new in season three," Cherniss added.

Apple has a companion podcast, titled "Foundation: The Official Podcast," available for fans who would like to tune in for additional behind-the-scenes content.

Season one of "Foundation" debuted on Apple TV+ in in September 2021 and wrapped up the following November. Apple renewed the show for a second season in October 2021, and it debuted in July 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I think I read somewhere that it would air in 2025. Good things come to those who wait, they say.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    One of my fav AppleTV+ shows!
    williamlondonblastdoorkiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    GOOD! It is my main reason for paying for AppleTV.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    I liked season 1, but could understand why some people didn’t— it could be a bit plodding.

but season two was spectacular. Can’t wait for season three!
    williamlondonwatto_cobrafreegovernment
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    blastdoor said:
    I liked season 1, but could understand why some people didn’t— it could be a bit plodding.

but season two was spectacular. Can’t wait for season three!
    I like the sub characters more than the main ones they seem to have a more interesting storyline but keep getting sideline so old men can play chess in 4D. The second season was also a bit plodding. 

Hopefully they can bring someone in for season 3 production who get get the pacing to work. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I was really looking forward to foundation, I loved the 1st series but 2nd was a bit too out there and too much fantasy in place of science fiction. 

I stopped watching on the day about half way through and didn’t finish watching the rest till after all had been aired. 

Really excited about slow horses now though. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    Enjoyed season one, but gave up partway through the second. For me at least, it fell into one of the traps that’s a bit too common in science fiction: excessive self-indulgence. This probably will crawl all over sci fi fans, but it’s a bit like soap operas. Requiring dedicated fan-level commitment from viewers to be able to track with even the basic storyline is too much. If I have to go back and rewatch the first season and listen to the companion podcast to be able to understand what’s going on in the next episode of season two, that’s too much. 
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 11
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    AppleZulu said:
    Enjoyed season one, but gave up partway through the second. For me at least, it fell into one of the traps that’s a bit too common in science fiction: excessive self-indulgence. This probably will crawl all over sci fi fans, but it’s a bit like soap operas. Requiring dedicated fan-level commitment from viewers to be able to track with even the basic storyline is too much. If I have to go back and rewatch the first season and listen to the companion podcast to be able to understand what’s going on in the next episode of season two, that’s too much. 
    While there's certainly a number of parallel stories going on, and jumping around in time/space, I didn't find it too hard to follow once I got past the first episode or two (refreshed my memory of what happened in the first season). And no, I'm not one of those fans who dotes on every little detail and listens to every interview/podcast/social media post.

I do wonder if there's a difference in the brains of those who enjoy sci-fi vs those who don't? My partner also has difficulty suspending disbelief (e.g. the mentalics) and following complex storylines, and so I find myself explaining things a fair bit. But on the other hand, I find many real-life dramas to be repetitive and overly simplified versions of reality. I prefer the overarching concepts which apply to humanity on a larger scale rather than the minutiae of everyday life. Though the characters do need to be good as well, which is where Foundation (due to Asimov's style) tends to be lacking a bit compared to other sci-fi.
    williamlondonkiltedgreenwatto_cobramattinozblastdoor
  • Reply 9 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    auxio said:
    AppleZulu said:
    While there's certainly a number of parallel stories going on, and jumping around in time/space, I didn't find it too hard to follow once I got past the first episode or two (refreshed my memory of what happened in the first season). And no, I'm not one of those fans who dotes on every little detail and listens to every interview/podcast/social media post.

I do wonder if there's a difference in the brains of those who enjoy sci-fi vs those who don't? My partner also has difficulty suspending disbelief (e.g. the mentalics) and following complex storylines, and so I find myself explaining things a fair bit. But on the other hand, I find many real-life dramas to be repetitive and overly simplified versions of reality. I prefer the overarching concepts which apply to humanity on a larger scale rather than the minutiae of everyday life. Though the characters do need to be good as well, which is where Foundation (due to Asimov's style) tends to be lacking a bit compared to other sci-fi.
    I wonder if people who dislike shows like Foundation also tend to dislike games like Civilization. Both require an appreciation for strategy, complexity, and patience. Perhaps comic book movies and games like Fortnite also share the same audience.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 11
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    blastdoor said:
    auxio said:
    AppleZulu said:

I wonder if people who dislike shows like Foundation also tend to dislike games like Civilization. Both require an appreciation for strategy, complexity, and patience. Perhaps comic book movies and games like Fortnite also share the same audience.
    It’s less about complexity and more about ‘suspension of disbelief.’ I can do complexity, but do I really want to for this? I remember being handed a glossary sheet with my ticket to the original Dune film. I don’t want a study guide just to watch a movie. The need for one suggests a failure on the part of the writers or editors of the film, not the viewer who hasn’t already read the novel or crammed with a cheat-sheet before the previews start. 

And yes, there is commonality of audiences for these things and comic book movies. The self-referential tendency is (along with failure to promote) likely what tanked the box office numbers for the Marvels movie. Reviews from people who actually saw it are generally positive, but a lot stayed away, because general audiences are fatigued by the real or perceived expectation that watching other ‘Marvel Comics Universe’ films and series is a prerequisite to understanding the latest release. The Marvel franchise started off as accessible to everyone, with extras for those ‘in the know,’ but as it’s catered more to the latter, it’s lost the former, and it’s the casual viewers who ultimately pay for the big budget bills. 

So something like Foundation can start off strong as a visually compelling series with a storyline that’s leading somewhere, but it loses some of us when Series Two seems to be getting no closer to that somewhere and appears to be unnecessarily plodding along on thinly linked side trails that scream for employment of a more disciplined editor. 
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 11 of 11
    doaldoal Posts: 27member
    AppleZulu said:
    It is a bit difficult to follow, but I still think it’s great.