US Apple Watch sales and import ban: What you need to know

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Great artists stole, again.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    jbtuckr said:
    I know this wont happen but I dream that This is Apple’s chance to drop the watch altogether and exit that market. It is by far the worst Apple product ever. I’m embarrassed for Apple. I’ve tried and given up on several models, most recently the Ultra 1. Obnoxious phone/watch integration and by the time I turn off 1001 unwanted naggy intrusive “features” there’s little value for the price. Excuse me while I search Apple support forums to figure out how to disable this screeching beeping crisis alarm signal because I bent my wrist too far at the gym. The Apple Watch “experience” is trash. Unpopular opinion but surely I’m not alone. 
    There's no way you're actually using this like a normal human uses an Apple Watch bc really? Lmao
    LOL the jury is out on "normal" but when I wake up before my alarm goes off and look at the watch but it won't show me the time because I should still be sleeping. I play music on my PHONE and when I look at the watch instead of it showing me my watch face, it shows me my music. Same with YouTube. How about this one - I'd like the watch to play music for me instead of my phone so that my music isn't interrupted when I make a video on my phone. Nope. can't do it. I'm a respectful person that doesn't want texts and calls interrupting  dinner, meetings or even my work so that's all turned off too. I don't want it buzzing to let me know to turn left or right when I'm navigating on my phone when I can hear Siri say it anyways. I wear the watch to the gym but can't wear the watch doing front squats because my wrist will press and hold a button that sets off a crisis alarm. Shall I go on? By the time I "accidentally" discover all those annoying behaviors, figure out how to turn them off I've just lost interest and stopped wearing it. Nag nag nag nag nag. And that's AFTER I've turned off breathe and stand alerts. Another Apple watch on eBay. I'd LOVE to LOVE the watch - obviously, since I tried it so many times. it's certainly sexy. But in the every day real world? No thank you not for me.  I'm glad it works for you.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 23 of 45

I know this wont happen but I dream that This is Apple’s chance to drop the watch altogether and exit that market. It is by far the worst Apple product ever. I’m embarrassed for Apple. I’ve tried and given up on several models, most recently the Ultra 1. Obnoxious phone/watch integration and by the time I turn off 1001 unwanted naggy intrusive “features” there’s little value for the price. Excuse me while I search Apple support forums to figure out how to disable this screeching beeping crisis alarm signal because I bent my wrist too far at the gym. The Apple Watch “experience” is trash. Unpopular opinion but surely I’m not alone. 
    You obviously don’t understand the importance of the Apple Watch in the Apple Ecosystem. People are switching from Android to iPhone so they can wear and use an Apple Watch. It’s Apple’s Tail waging its Dog. Did you know that the Apple Watch is the world’s most popular watch? Not just the world’s most popular SmartWatch.  The world’s most popular watch full stop.
    Oh I can certainly understand all that - while at the same time, I can understand that the phone/watch integration is obnoxious. FOR ME. One doesn't cancel out the other.
  • Reply 24 of 45

darbus69 said:
    If you are unable to use any of your Apple watches to make your life easier then maybe you need to buy a Swatch, a Motorola Razor and call it good.

P.S. I know a 5 yr old who does Apple Watch tutoring⌚️ߑডmp;nbsp;
    I don't need a five year old to tell me that it's impossible to play music from my watch so that my music isn't interrupted when I make a video on my phone. I don't need a five year old to tell me that its impossible to set a sleep schedule, wake up before my alarm, and see my watch face instead of a sleep screen without going through extra steps. Just two of many, many questionable Apple Watch behaviors. Still love my MacBook Pro, Studio Monitor, iPhone, AirPods Pro Max, etc etc tho. The watch needs work to appeal TO ME. Glad it works for you, five year olds and everyone else.
    edited November 2023
  • Reply 25 of 45
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    Apple Watches won’t be banned.  Worst case, Apple issues an update disabling the pulse oximeter.  
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 45
    ...I dream that This is Apple’s chance to drop the watch altogether and exit that market. ... 
    So... when you don't like a thing... instead of just not buying it, you would prefer that nobody else was allowed to buy it either? ... (because they're obviously wrong to be happy with the product that you didn't like!)

What's wrong with you just leaving it on the shelf and letting the folks that DO like it continue to buy it?
    edited November 2023 muthuk_vanalingamdarkvadermike1Alex1Nking editor the grateSpitbathstompyronnlordjohnwhorfinMplsP
  • Reply 27 of 45
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    darkvader said:
    rob53 said:
    "It was also reasoned by Masimo that the U.S. public would not be affected by an Apple Watch import ban as the sensor isn't "essential to the public health or welfare." This was due to Apple's warnings in fine print that the measurements from the sensor "should not be relied upon for medical purposes," Masimo declared." If the Apple sensor isn't of any medical value then why is Masimo suing Apple? Is Apple's implementation inferior to Masimo's? Is Apple's implementation even similar to Masimo's? Who actually owns the original pulse oximetry patents? Is Masimo violating someone else's patents? 
    Pulse oximetry was invented in 1974, the patents are long expired.

The Masimo patents should never have been issued.  I'm not a fan of Apple bullying smaller companies, but this one is bullshit on Masimo's part.
    When it comes to patents, it's HOW the idea is implemented, which is clarified in the actual claims included in the patent, not the idea itself. I don't know--and I'm not sure it's been posted anywhere--what Masimo's claims are that they feel Apple is infringing on. 
    Alex1Nronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    gatorguy said:
    darkvader said:
    rob53 said:
    "It was also reasoned by Masimo that the U.S. public would not be affected by an Apple Watch import ban as the sensor isn't "essential to the public health or welfare." This was due to Apple's warnings in fine print that the measurements from the sensor "should not be relied upon for medical purposes," Masimo declared." If the Apple sensor isn't of any medical value then why is Masimo suing Apple? Is Apple's implementation inferior to Masimo's? Is Apple's implementation even similar to Masimo's? Who actually owns the original pulse oximetry patents? Is Masimo violating someone else's patents? 
    Pulse oximetry was invented in 1974, the patents are long expired.

The Masimo patents should never have been issued.  I'm not a fan of Apple bullying smaller companies, but this one is bullshit on Masimo's part.
    The patents are not for inventing pulse oximetry. The ones Apple was accused of infringing have to do with the method of integrating and reading on a mobile device like a smartwatch. 

Apple patents a LOT of things related to technology they did not originally invent, as do 1000's (millions?) of manufacturing and technology companies, and individuals.
    I'm absolutely not saying that Apple doesn't have a lot of the same type of shady patent.  They absolutely do engage in the same ridiculous patenting of non-inventions.

But that doesn't change the fact that this particular patent was not an invention, was entirely obvious, and should not have been issued.
    williamlondonStrangeDaysronnlordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 29 of 45
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    jbtuckr said:
    There's no way you're actually using this like a normal human uses an Apple Watch bc really? Lmao
    LOL the jury is out on "normal" but when I wake up before my alarm goes off and look at the watch but it won't show me the time because I should still be sleeping. I play music on my PHONE and when I look at the watch instead of it showing me my watch face, it shows me my music. Same with YouTube. How about this one - I'd like the watch to play music for me instead of my phone so that my music isn't interrupted when I make a video on my phone. Nope. can't do it. I'm a respectful person that doesn't want texts and calls interrupting  dinner, meetings or even my work so that's all turned off too. I don't want it buzzing to let me know to turn left or right when I'm navigating on my phone when I can hear Siri say it anyways. I wear the watch to the gym but can't wear the watch doing front squats because my wrist will press and hold a button that sets off a crisis alarm. Shall I go on? By the time I "accidentally" discover all those annoying behaviors, figure out how to turn them off I've just lost interest and stopped wearing it. Nag nag nag nag nag. And that's AFTER I've turned off breathe and stand alerts. Another Apple watch on eBay. I'd LOVE to LOVE the watch - obviously, since I tried it so many times. it's certainly sexy. But in the every day real world? No thank you not for me.  I'm glad it works for you.
    There are workarounds for literally everything you describe.

Of course, they're intended behaviors for most people, so Apple isn't going to fundamentally change the way the watch works to make you happy.  Not sure why you want an Apple watch in the first place, since you seem to want to turn off all its good features.
    williamlondontokyojimuAlex1NSpitbathlordjohnwhorfinradarthekat
  • Reply 30 of 45
    This Christmas "surprise" was talked about a month or so back.

My wife and I have both used Apple Watches since version 3. I consider mine as important as my iPhone. The Apple watch is completely tied into the Apple eco-system.

I upgraded my Ultra to Ultra 2 and my wife's v7 to v9 aluminum.

We are totally uninterested in any other digital brands.

We both still have our Rolex and Movado watches to fall back to. I still have my 1966 Rolex Oyster Perpetual (Pepsi Cola version) that cost about $375 then and worth over $3,500 now and capable of showing both the date and two time zones. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    eightzero said:
    Michail said:
    Why doesn’t Apple just purchase that pesky company, Masimo?  Problem solved👍. 
    Or just buy a license from them. Like they always do. Or (temporarily) disable the alleged infringing components with a software update.

Yes!  It was weird that this option, probably the cheapest, fastest, and fairest one, wasn’t listed in the article. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 45
    You are alone, and you sound like a real treat to be around when you have difficulty with technology.
    Spitbathronnwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 33 of 45
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    eriamjh said:
    Apple Watches won’t be banned.  Worst case, Apple issues an update disabling the pulse oximeter.  
    If that’s the case, Apple should sell them at a discount since one of the most attractive features the watch offers will be disabled. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 34 of 45
    eriamjh said:

They'd better not.  Unless they're going to refund me the cost of my watch.  Disabling it on watches brought in after the ban might be acceptable, but mine was purchased before the ban.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Watch out, Apple!
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Michail said:
    Why doesn’t Apple just purchase that pesky company, Masimo?  Problem solved👍. 
    No. They should do what Segway did. Segway sued Ninebot over patent infringement, so Ninebot bought Segway.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    bahahah good one. 
    lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Since Apple watches sell more units than any other brand, I think the product will continue. If the poster above disliked Apple Watches after purchasing them many times, why did that person buy another one? No mental logic to that story.
    ronnAlex1Nwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 39 of 45
    rob53 said:
    Apple is a real bully. Apple + Masimo met for partnership/acquisition talks but Apple had a secret plan (Project Everest) to steal the tech without paying. They even recruited 20 of Masimo’s team, doubling their salaries…. Apple paid their CTO $4M to come over, and in his 1st 2 weeks he filed 12 patents for sensors at Apple that were Masimo trade secrets… the worst part is that Apple fumbled the ball and the product doesn’t really work and Apple didn’t get FDA approval like Masimo did.

Joe Kiani, the immigrant electrical engineer CEO of Masimo seems to be fighting this as a vendetta - he’s spent >$60M fighting Apple so far & preliminarily seems to have won… most companies would not keep fighting.
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamAlex1Njasenj1elijahg
  • Reply 40 of 45
    I hear that an update to the phone (17.2.1) and watch is coming. I would NOT update your watch unless you know it doesn’t affect the blood oxygen function. In Canada we should not have to have that removed as the lawsuit is in the US. I won’t be updating for sure. 
    Alex1Njas99watto_cobra