Apple's new AirPods Pro 2 firmware is here for USB-C and Lightning models

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2023

Apple has released new firmware for both versions of AirPods Pro 2.

AirPods Pro 2
AirPods Pro 2

The update brings the personal audio accessories to build number 6B34, 6.1.34. As usual, Apple doesn't provide release notes, but the updates typically include performance improvements and bug fixes.

Apple's last update for the AirPods Pro 2 was on November 9, marking its third firmware release for the model.

Unlike devices like an iPhone or iPad, you can't manually update the AirPods Pro 2. Instead, the firmware will install itself automatically when the AirPods Pro are placed in the charging case and connected to an iOS device.

How to check your AirPods firmware version

AirPods users can check the current firmware for their audio accessories by accessing the Settings app on their iPhone or iPad.

1. Open the Settings App

2. Select General

3. Select About

4. Select the AirPods you wish to view

5. A menu will appear showing relevant device information

Update 5:00 p.m. EST

: the firmware is available for both AirPods Pro 2 models, but the story originally said it was only the Lightning model,

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

Apple has released new firmware for its AirPods Pro 2, though it is only for versions equipped with Lightning for charging, not USB-C.

The Apple support site shows the same firmware for both versions.

• AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with MagSafe Charging Case (USB-C): 6B34
    • AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with MagSafe Charging Case (Lightning): 6B34

• Reply 2 of 6
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    The article says you can't manually update the AirPod Pros.  Actually, you can.  Follow these steps - Open the case. Place next to the iPhone. Close the pop-up window. Go to Settings. See the AirPods Pro 2 at the top of settings. Click and scroll to see the version. Close Settings. Close the case. Leave it next to the iPhone for ~20 minutes. Open the AirPods Pro 2 case again and go through to Settings again and see that has updated the firmware.

Works for me when I do it.
    mobirdcaladanianarcs
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Rogue01 said:
    The article says you can't manually update the AirPod Pros.  Actually, you can.  Follow these steps - Open the case. Place next to the iPhone. Close the pop-up window. Go to Settings. See the AirPods Pro 2 at the top of settings. Click and scroll to see the version. Close Settings. Close the case. Leave it next to the iPhone for ~20 minutes. Open the AirPods Pro 2 case again and go through to Settings again and see that has updated the firmware.

Thank you, your tip worked for me. Is this the first time you have updated the firmware update for AirPods  using this technique or have you used it in the past?
    arcs
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Why Apple has no «new firmware available, update now?» pop-up when you open the case or some other place is beyond me.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    arcsarcs Posts: 6member
    Rogue01 said:

Yes, this worked for me too. Thank you!!!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Why Apple has no «new firmware available, update now?» pop-up when you open the case or some other place is beyond me.
    Probably because the firmware updates don't really change anything you'll notice, so there's no real need for any kind of user interaction.

Am I happy about this?  Of course not, in fact I'd like to see a legal requirement that ALL firmware updates include release notes, a way for users to disable them, and a way for users to revert to any earlier firmware of their choosing at any time.  Users who don't care should be able to set to automatic updates, the rest of us should be able to make our own decision about what firmware we want installed.
    muthuk_vanalingam