Rumor: USB-C Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, and Trackpad are coming in spring 2024

Posted:
in General Discussion

Despite rumors that they would arrive in October, Apple hasn't yet released its input peripherals with USB-C -- but a leaker is predicting that they may be just around the corner.

Apple did not launch the updated USB-C accessories alongside its refreshed 24-inch iMac after October's Scary Fast event. Instead, it opted to keep offering Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Mouse devices with Lightning.

On Friday, known leaker Instant Digital took to Weibo and posted that Apple would be releasing an updated version of the Apple Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, and Trackpad that used USB-C. They stated that the accessories would be released in Spring 2024.

Friday's rumor seems obvious, given the trends that we've seen so far. Apple has already aggressively shifted some Lightning devices to USB-C. Currently, all latest-generation iPad models, second-generation AirPods Pro, the Siri remote, and iPhone 15 line have all swapped their Lightning ports for USB-C.

Apple can still sell Lightning products without being forced to switch to USB-C by the European Union as long as they were originally shipped before the 2024 deadline. That regulation still looms, though.

Instant Digital has a relatively short history with Apple leaks, recently reporting that the iPhone 16 would feature a capacitive "Capture Button." They also have said that the jelly scrolling issue seen in the iPad mini would be improved in the iPad mini 7.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I would love to see this.  Apple should have released this months ago.
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    I'm still bewildered these weren't ready for the M3 iMac.
    TRAGwilliamlondonwatto_cobraxyzzy01
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    They should add wireless charging like AirPods case to all 3. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It's about to be 2024, USB-C will be a decade old, and yet it still remains only a rumor for Apple accessories. SMH. 
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I hope they make a short keyboard with black keys.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bsimpsen said:
    I hope they make a short keyboard with black keys.
    It's why I've held off replacing my 2009 Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad.
    Hopefully the new keyboard will be backlit as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Apart from the strangeness of Apple not launching this alongside the M3 Imac (or earlier), it's also strange that Apple hasn't redesigned the mouse a very long time ago,

Not only is it very impractical to have the charge port below the mouse, it also has very bad ergonomics.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    xyzzy01 said:
    Apart from the strangeness of Apple not launching this alongside the M3 Imac (or earlier), it's also strange that Apple hasn't redesigned the mouse a very long time ago,

Not only is it very impractical to have the charge port below the mouse, it also has very bad ergonomics.
    I find most complaints about ergonomics don't understand Apple has never designed a mouse that you grip. All their designs are "puck" mice designed to be flicked around the table with a light touch of the fingers, ironically leaving your fingers free to dance around and activate the one button, which only much later turned into a touchpad.

A grip mouse like a sidewinder with a big multi-touch area would be interesting. The current design would almost lend itself to working that way if it could balance on the sides. If it had extra tracking sensors or a different mouse tracking method, Let's go nuts and say a Motion sensor 6DoF 3D mouse.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I'll bet a Logitech MX Master S3 that the mouse will still have the USB port on the bottom.....