Apple TV+ secures deal for 'Murderbot' sci-fi series starring Alexander Skarsgard and helm...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2023

Apple TV+ has signed an order for "Murderbot," a new series based on the bestselling and Hugo and Nebula Award-winning novels by Martha Wells.

Apple TV+
Apple TV+

The 10-episode series is set to star Emmy Award winner Alexander Skarsgard ("Succession," "Big Little Lies,") in the lead role. It will be directed by Acadamy Award-nominated Chris and Paul Weitz ("About a Boy," "Mozart in the Jungle").

"Murderbot" is a Paramount Television Studios production. It will be written, directed, and produced by the Weitz brothers for their Depth of Field banner. Andrew Miano will also executive produce for Depth of Field, while David S. Goyer and Keith Levine will executive produce for Phantom Four. Wells will serve as a consulting producer for the show.

This is Goyer's second collaboration with Apple TV+, who serves as show runner and executive producer on Apple Original "Foundation."

"Murderbot" joins a growing slate of sci-fi originals on Apple TV+. Apple recently renewed "Foundation" for a third season.

"For All Mankind" launched its fourth season in November. Season four starts off with events set in 2003, when the focus of the space program has shifted towards capturing and mining asteroids that contain valuable minerals, which could have a significant impact on the future of Earth and Mars.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Apple TV+ Sci-Fi has been great so far. A much better track record of good execution and sticking with a series in my opinion then HBO or Netflix.
    williamlondonzimmieForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9

In a world filled with so much violence and negativity, I'd like to see a different name chosen.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Alexander Skarsgård, not Skarsgard. And “å” is pronounced “o” like in “hole”.
    Tack så mycket!
    williamlondonOferForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    This is a likely tragedy in the making. Foundation is one of the worst SF productions of all time, with virtually no connection to the original source material at all. Worse, the sheer level of stupidity and internal inconsistency in the plot is difficult to fathom. So I don't hold out much hope for Murderbot.

This is really sad. Murderbot is such amazingly good source material. But since Murderbot's inner life, replete with sarcasm and humanism, is so much of what makes the books great, it's hard to imagine it ever translating well to the screen. It's a near certainty that we're going to get another senseless action-SF dud with empty characters.

Oh well. I can always read the books again.
    williamlondondanox
  • Reply 5 of 9

In a world filled with so much violence and negativity, I'd like to see a different name chosen.
    Yes, a lot of people will likely skip it because their expectations based on the name will be wildly off target. And if the show were actually good, that would be a real shame. As it is likely to be... just as well.
    williamlondonravnorodom
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Such fun books, what a treat they're turning this into series.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I have read all the current series of murderbots, great books, Shame price of them has gone up so much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Oh wow. I love this series (other than I hate waiting for the next book, and every time it's too short...)

I really hope the do it justice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,899member
    This is a likely tragedy in the making. Foundation is one of the worst SF productions of all time, with virtually no connection to the original source material at all. Worse, the sheer level of stupidity and internal inconsistency in the plot is difficult to fathom. So I don't hold out much hope for Murderbot.

This is really sad. Murderbot is such amazingly good source material. But since Murderbot's inner life, replete with sarcasm and humanism, is so much of what makes the books great, it's hard to imagine it ever translating well to the screen. It's a near certainty that we're going to get another senseless action-SF dud with empty characters.

Oh well. I can always read the books again.
    Made it thru season one, but just couldn't sit thru season two....
    williamlondon