AirPods' 2024 refresh could include two Gen 4 models, AirPods Max update

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple's AirPods updates in 2024 will help both ends of the price spectrum, a report claims including two value-oriented AirPods editions and an update to the AirPods Max.

Apple's AirPods lineup will undergo multiple changes in the year ahead, as the company attempts to refine its offerings to consumers in a way that makes a bit more sense.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman reiterates some claims about the AirPods lineup changes in 2024, doubling down on the lineup changes after an earlier overhaul claim in October.

The latest report has Apple producing two versions of its lower-end AirPods, which could solve a marketing problem for the lineup. The current $179 mid-tier third-gen model has apparently been a "dud" with consumers, since they look similar to the AirPods Pro but lack its features, and they don't really offer much new beyond the $129 second-gen model that's still available.

For the fourth-gen edition, Apple is planning two models, complete with design updates and new cases with USB-C charging. The difference between the two is that the upper-priced model will gain active noice cancellation, expanding the feature beyond the AirPods Pro.

The AirPods Max will also get an update, albeit in somewhat more muted fashion. Following the current trend, Apple will apparently include USB-C connectivity, and may also include extra color options.

The development of a software change, hearing aid functionality, is also planned for launch in 2024, Gurman believes.

The AirPods Pro may miss out in 2024, but an update could surface in 2025. While features like body temperature sensing and health tracking could be a possibility eventually, it's proposed that Apple will settle on making them more comfortable.

Read on AppleInsider

hecalder

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    thedbathedba Posts: 776member
    If the only upgrade awaiting the Airpods max is USBC and additional colors, then muted isn’t the adjective I’d use.
    Grossly underwhelming would be more like it.
    williamlondondewmebeowulfschmidtargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 13
    thedba said:
    If the only upgrade awaiting the Airpods max is USBC and additional colors, then muted isn’t the adjective I’d use.
    What do you want them to do for you, besides play audio? Should they have a new shape too? Maybe triangles? Triangles are new. Should we do triangles?
    hecalderSpitbathronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    byronlbyronl Posts: 371member
    thedba said:
    What do you want them to do for you, besides play audio? Should they have a new shape too? Maybe triangles? Triangles are new. Should we do triangles?
    H2 chips and all the features it brings.
    Spitbathchasmgrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Any info on Beats updates? Sadly I recently lost my Beats Fit Pro and would like to replace them with an updated version. I’m using my AirPods Pro for now. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    thedbathedba Posts: 776member
    thedba said:
    Really? Nothing you can think of?
    Let’s see 
    1) A way of turning them off or putting them in low power mode without having to put them in the bra case.
    2) A better/actual carrying case
    3) Longer battery life 
    4) A passive wired mode ie. they keep on working when the battery’s dead
    5) Lossless playback

To name a few. 
    lotonesSpitbathchasmmattinozmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondongrandact73dewmebeowulfschmidtargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Hi-res lossless over bluetooth (done correctly would be the killer "app".
    Spitbathbeowulfschmidtargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 13
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member
    The Bose QC 2 should be the benchmark. Except the pairing advantage from the in house chip, the Bose are vastly better. The second soft ring helps the noise cancellation greatly. Better fit, clearer highs, cleaner bass, better midrange.

I am over white polycarbonate and am quite sure factory colors would sell well. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 13
    thedba said:
    Improve noise cancellation, as the competition does. Support lossless audio. Replace the bra with better protection. Better Find My-support - match thew newest tech there, from the new Apple Watch/ iPhone. All this in addition to the obvious change to USB C

I'd also love an on/off button, the current automatic setup just doesn't work well enough. The headphones often get confused on whether they're on the had or not,

nubuschasmwilliamlondongrandact73beowulfschmidtargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I've always preferred Apple product over many other companies. Recently, I purchased the AirPod Max and undeniable the sound quality is superior to any other products i had in the past. Yes, the headphones are on the expensive side even discounted, however are the best headsets i ever owned. Apple is known to made small changes to its products every year, and this change is a minor to me. I do appreciate the sound quality more than how i charge it. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Strangedays…..learn a bit more you post your snide remarks! Airpod Pro’s cannot even play Apple lossless music because they are way behind on using current codecs such as aptX lossless to play lossless music over bluetooth!  That feature alone is needed to warrant there pricing. In the world of ultra high end headphones they are lacking. 
    williamlondongrandact73dewme
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,669member
    jimcord said:
    In the world of ultra high end headphones they are lacking. 
    The AirPods Max aren’t remotely close to being in the world of ultra high end headphones. However, in the market they do serve they are very competitive with roughly similarly priced headphones, such as the Sony XM5, Bose QC Ultra, Sennheiser Momentum 4, etc., especially when the AirPods Max are on sale. The price premium on the AirPods Max is largely offset imho by the extra functionality they deliver when used with Apple  devices. 

I agree with nearly all of the suggestions offered up by other commenters, especially the need for a power switch and a case that’s more practical and protective than the current one. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mateibun said:
    I've always preferred Apple product over many other companies. Recently, I purchased the AirPod Max and undeniable the sound quality is superior to any other products i had in the past. Yes, the headphones are on the expensive side even discounted, however are the best headsets i ever owned. Apple is known to made small changes to its products every year, and this change is a minor to me. I do appreciate the sound quality more than how i charge it. 
    Thank you for your input, anonymous Apple marketing representative.

davgreg said:
    The Bose QC 2 should be the benchmark. Except the pairing advantage from the in house chip, the Bose are vastly better. The second soft ring helps the noise cancellation greatly. Better fit, clearer highs, cleaner bass, better midrange.
    I have two pairs of now almost "ancient" Nokia 905 headsets.  With the exception of their aging version of Bluetooth (which is mitigated by a wired connection, however inconvenient), they are superior, in my opinion, to the AirPods Max in sound, ANC, and comfort.  I'm genuinely aware that headphones are highly subjective, but the Nokia's I have are fantastic.  The AirPods Max, while excellent, do not measure up.

• Reply 13 of 13
    byronl said:
    thedba said:
    H2 chips and all the features it brings.
    Fully agree. It’s widely acknowledged that the new overeat beats headphones are better than max and thus an enhanced version is required for a flagship product.

H2 chip is a minimum requirement upgrade and even better if could double down and use the mics for noise cancelling for enhanced situational awareness similar to how HomePods alert on sirens. It would help when bopping around town and traffic.

u1 chip for findmy? Don’t know if it has it already.

would it be possible to use the HomePod tech that sound scans a space to adjust the adaptive audio to scan everyone’s individual ear anatomy and further customise the sound environment?

Perhaps a H3 chip is in the works to enable on device Siri instead of schlepping back to the iPhone to process.

Oh and more colours. I would like to see small batch collars with leading fashion houses priced 10-20x of normal unit cost.

i am holding out and will buy next gen max