Apple Watch Series X won't work with old bands, claims leaker

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2023

A leaker says that Apple is totally changing how bands connect to Apple Watch, rendering all existing bands incompatible.

Apple's clever system for attaching Watch bands may be redesigned
Apple's clever system for attaching Watch bands may be redesigned

It's been strongly rumored before that the Apple Watches being released in 2024 will feature a major redesign to mark the tenth anniversary of the device. Specifically, it's already been claimed that the Apple Watch Series 10 or perhaps Series X, will replace how bands connect.

Now leaker Kosutami has tweeted that he or she is certain a major change is coming, and coming to the next generation of Apple Watch.

Connectors of next generation of Watch has completely redesigned
Literally if you have old bands now, just sell itIt's 100% accurate

-- Kosutami (@KosutamiSan)

It's not clear whether this is information sourced from the leaker's own research, or a repeat of a previous rumor.

Kosutami does not give any further details, despite some pleading from commenters on the thread in Twitter/X. But while there are no details and no attributed source for this rumor, Kosutami has previously leaked correctly about FineWoven bands before they launched.

The leaker did also incorrectly claim that the iPhone 15 range would get braided USB-C cables, however.

Prior to that, Kosutami leaked about unused color options that Apple had considered for a MagSafe charger, but rejected. It has appeared, though, that the leaker at least has some access to Design Validation Test models of some Apple devices.

The claim that this change will apply to the next generation of Apple Watch could mean that the Apple Watch Ultra will feature the same redesign. It's unlikely that Apple would apply such a significant redesign to the Series 10 but not the Ultra, although not unheard of.

However, recent reports have suggested that there won't be an Apple Watch Ultra 3 in 2024.

The previous rumors concerning Apple changing how bands connect to the Apple Watch have claimed that the new system would be magnetic.
Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    It has been great to be able to move my stainless steel Milanese Loop watch band onto the successive generations since S3 days including my Ultra and now Ultra 2. That might be the last time to be able reuse my stainless steel band on a new iWatch starting in 2024.

The issue is that the Apple Watch series are really a fad or fashion statement with no long term life. That is the nature of electronics that all eventually quit and are definitely not user serviceable. The fix for a recently deceased iWatch is a complete replacement. The next year's model supposedly obsoletes last year's model because of some new electronic gimmickry. 

Now the conversation is that the next models will use a completely new band attachment technique obsoleting a fortune in Apple compatible bands. For a change, many might flip off Apple and continue with this years model until it quits. Apple has to support all the current iWatch models for quite a few years.

Meanwhile, the Rolex I purchased in 1966 still does its job of showing time in two different time zones and the date. It is self winding and needs no batteries. The stainless steel band can be replaced as needed from an immense selection of compatible bands that will work with most non-electronic watches with proprietary designs. It has beed serviced a few times in the 57 years I have owned it. I can pass it on to one of my kids.

The iWatch has almost forgotten  it was initially a time piece.
    h4y3sAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ApplePoor said:
    It has been great to be able to move my stainless steel Milanese Loop watch band onto the successive generations since S3 days including my Ultra and now Ultra 2. That might be the last time to be able reuse my stainless steel band on a new iWatch starting in 2024.

The issue is that the Apple Watch series are really a fad or fashion statement with no long term life. That is the nature of electronics that all eventually quit and are definitely not user serviceable. The fix for a recently deceased iWatch is a complete replacement. The next year's model supposedly obsoletes last year's model because of some new electronic gimmickry. 

Now the conversation is that the next models will use a completely new band attachment technique obsoleting a fortune in Apple compatible bands. For a change, many might flip off Apple and continue with this years model until it quits. Apple has to support all the current iWatch models for quite a few years.

Meanwhile, the Rolex I purchased in 1966 still does its job of showing time in two different time zones and the date. It is self winding and needs no batteries. The stainless steel band can be replaced as needed from an immense selection of compatible bands that will work with most non-electronic watches with proprietary designs. It has beed serviced a few times in the 57 years I have owned it. I can pass it on to one of my kids.

The popularity of the iPhone and Apple Watch is because they do more than just make phone calls and tell time. 
    FileMakerFellerStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Unless the form factor is changing it would be wrong to do such a radical change, as it will be seen as gouging from customers by forcing them to buy new watch bands if they upgrade. This can only be because of a form factor change that means other watch bands cannot fit. Maybe we will see our first round watch face?
    mattinozAlex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 8
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    laytech said:
    Unless the form factor is changing it would be wrong to do such a radical change, as it will be seen as gouging from customers by forcing them to buy new watch bands if they upgrade. This can only be because of a form factor change that means other watch bands cannot fit. Maybe we will see our first round watch face?
    IF the change to magnetic bands actually happens, the stated reason for the change makes a lot of sense: those empty slots for current bands occupy precious space that could be used for the more advanced health sensors that Apple is working on without further increasing the size of the watch body. It's also not hard to imagine that IF that change happens, Apple or third parties could easily make adapters for existing bands to work. It is actually in Apple's interest for that to happen since many people have a considerable investment in watch bands and if they were not made compatible with an adapter, that would be a strong reason to keep your current watch and not upgrade. It's also important to note that this leaker could be right in what he's saying--that Watch X won't work with existing bands--but that still leaves open attachment via an adapter. 

As for a round watch face: round made sense for a watch when all it was used for was to tell time. But as a device for messaging, email and viewing other forms of data... well, let's just say there's a very good reason that no one has ever made a round monitor. 

h4y3sAlex1NStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ApplePoor said:

The popularity of the iPhone and Apple Watch is because they do more than just make phone calls and tell time. 
    I would have never bought an "iWatch" (sic) if all it did was show the time in two zones and the date. It was not "initially a time piece"; it was an iPhone accessory for your wrist. Still is.
    Alex1NStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    If Apple switches to a magnetic system for connecting watch bands it would make sense to make a magnetic adapter for the existing watch bands.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ApplePoor said:

Incorrect, nobody suggests or claims the new year’s AW model obsoletes the previous year’s. Nor iPhones, or cars, or John Deere riding mowers. Why does this absurd notion get regurgitated?

Your Rolex is useless on a jog where you want it to play music, read a text, or pay for your coffee at the end. My AW does all those things and thus requires me to carry fewer devices.

Also: your kids don’t want your Rolex. Trust me. 
    edited December 2023 flydogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    My guess, is all bands will work, e.g. connect but a new band will be require to add health features captured by the "new" bands and communicate to watch via connection points in the connector slot.
    watto_cobrajellybelly