DOJ antitrust lawyers question Beeper over Apple's iMessage hack

Posted:
in iOS

Lawyers from the Department of Justice have reportedly met with Beeper CEO Eric Migicovsky as part of an investigation into Apple's alleged antitrust efforts.

Beeper Mini
Beeper Mini

Beeper is the tool that in theory allows Android users to use iMessage and its blue bubbles, without buying an iPhone. Over the course of December 2023 it has worked against Apple, eventually to a ridiculous extent, which keeps blocking its different hacks on security grounds.

According to the New York Times, the Department of Justice (DOJ) took an interest in the back-and-forth between Beeper and Apple. Citing two sources familiar with the issue, the publication says that the DOJ met with Beeper CEO Eric Migicovsky on December 12, 2023.

Neither the DOJ nor representatives from Beeper would comment on the meeting. It's claimed that the DOJ's lawyers at the meeting are involved with the department's antitrust investigation into Apple, however.

There are no further details and it is not known whether the meeting was instigated by the DOJ or Beeper.

At one point, Beeper's CEO Eric Migicovsky has said that he was considering legal action against Apple, though he later appeared to walk that back as he stopped development of his service.

The New York Times also claims that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) must be interested in the case, though it has no source confirming this.

Instead, it notes that the FTC published a blog on December 21, 2023, in which it says that the "FTC will closely scrutinize any claims that competition must be impeded to advance privacy or security."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,264member
    The FTC and DOJ need to open their eyes and understand that Beeper is trying to hack Apple software. This has nothing to do with competition and anyone at the DOJ or FTC with any brain should see it for what it is and understand what it isn't. Messages is Apple's product and just like Microsoft and Google software, along with the million other apps, there's no justifiable requirement that they have to work with each other. 
    strongyracerhomie3teejay2012InspiredCodewonkothesanekillroywilliamlondontimpetusroundaboutnowAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,841member
    rob53 said:
    The FTC and DOJ need to open their eyes and understand that Beeper is trying to hack Apple software. This has nothing to do with competition and anyone at the DOJ or FTC with any brain should see it for what it is and understand what it isn't. Messages is Apple's product and just like Microsoft and Google software, along with the million other apps, there's no justifiable requirement that they have to work with each other. 
    I agree with your first observation. I don't think reverse engineering the Messages protocol is the best way to go. 

However, I definitely think industry should work towards interoperability which has been a decades old problem and source of problems. 
    muthuk_vanalingamkillroyAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    I agree with your first observation. I don't think reverse engineering the Messages protocol is the best way to go. 

However, I definitely think industry should work towards interoperability which has been a decades old problem and source of problems. 
    If a company is forced to open up their innovations, they will stop doing so.  Allowing third parties to hack your platform and then stopping the hack is not anticompetitive; it is protecting their platform from bad actors and protecting me who do not want to have to think about security every time I pickup my phone.  I use to have that time.  Now I want to trust the company I buy my phone from.

As for interoperability, it would be nice but that is not anticompetitive either.  It is Apple's platform and they are paying for servers to run that platform.  Those hacking into it are taking from those of us who do like the Apple Ecosystem and want them to innovate and not be stifled because someone else's feeling are hurt seeing green bubbles.

rob53mike1killroywilliamlondontimpetusroundaboutnowAlex1Nwatto_cobraForumPostJaiOh81
  • Reply 4 of 31
    This is so obviously a bad take by the government. Exactly why we don’t trust politicians to make regulatory decisions. Interoperability of some core services could be a goal, but not with Apple’s private backend servers.
    edited December 2023 rob53killroywilliamlondonbyronltimpetuswatto_cobraForumPostJaiOh81jony0
  • Reply 5 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,365member
    Ignore the Beeper Mini circus. It is not important enough to stand on its own.

But it does add fuel to the ongoing DoJ antitrust investigation begun 4 years ago. That matters.
    I suspect it was the DoJ reaching out to Beeper rather than vice versa, just gathering facts to add to the pile. 
    edited December 2023 Alex1Njony0
  • Reply 6 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,264member
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:

Thank you for an actual complement but "industry" is not required to be interoperable and in many cases, shouldn't. Do any of Microsoft's server-based software run on non-Windows systems? You won't hear about this deficiency (anymore) because the DOJ and FTC both are required to use Microsoft products and they're simply jealous of what Apple users have. Microsoft doesn't have a phone anymore (if they do it's simply an Android knockoff). I know you don't like my opinions on the EU telling Apple what they must do but I really would like to see the EU come up with a competitive product on the scale of Apple and Google. I haven't seen any since the original cellular companies have disappeared.
    killroywilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobraJaiOh81jony0
  • Reply 7 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,321member
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:

Messaging already is interoperable (word?). I can easily send messages to anyone. Does not mean they must have identical features and functionality. Back in the day, I could make a landline phone call to anyone who had a phone and a number. Some of those phones were cordless, some had built-in answering machines. Didn't matter as the call could still go through. Same here, messages can still go through regardless of device, OS or app being used.
    auxiostompykillroywilliamlondontimpetusAlex1Nwatto_cobrachasmJaiOh81jony0
  • Reply 8 of 31
    youngjm said:
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:

If a company is forced to open up their innovations, they will stop doing so.  Allowing third parties to hack your platform and then stopping the hack is not anticompetitive; it is protecting their platform from bad actors and protecting me who do not want to have to think about security every time I pickup my phone.  I use to have that time.  Now I want to trust the company I buy my phone from.

As for interoperability, it would be nice but that is not anticompetitive either.  It is Apple's platform and they are paying for servers to run that platform.  Those hacking into it are taking from those of us who do like the Apple Ecosystem and want them to innovate and not be stifled because someone else's feeling are hurt seeing green bubbles.

You are missing the point to a degree. 

The internet was built on standards. It could have gone the other way (and the risk is branching hasn't gone away totally). 

Coding for the internet is also standards based. 

ICT communications are standards based. 

Where did AppleTalk go and why? 

Can you remember the world before .pdf?

Standards are there to reduce compatibility problems for widely used services across multiple platforms. 

Instant messaging falls squarely into the group that would benefit from standards based interoperability. 

That is completely different to a proprietary service where you know exactly who your end client is. Messages doesn't fall into that group. Apple TV+ does, because it is not a 'general interest' category. The server side and client operations do not stretch beyond the ecosystem. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 31

rob53 said:
    You won't hear about this deficiency (anymore) because the DOJ and FTC both are required to use Microsoft products and they're simply jealous of what Apple users have.
    The DOJ and the FTC!!?

That is the most ridiculous statement ever.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    Well then there’s a lot of work ahead because literally no messenger in existence is interoperable with other messengers. In fact I’d say iMessage is more interoperable than most due it it’s fall back to SMS, which is truly a universal format. 
    killroywilliamlondontimpetusroundaboutnowAlex1Nwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 31
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    mike1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:

Messaging already is interoperable (word?). I can easily send messages to anyone. Does not mean they must have identical features and functionality. Back in the day, I could make a landline phone call to anyone who had a phone and a number. Some of those phones were cordless, some had built-in answering machines. Didn't matter as the call could still go through. Same here, messages can still go through regardless of device, OS or app being used.
    Exactly this. People are missing the central point amidst all the circus performances: text messaging works just fine between all mobile phones today

It's not encrypted, but then neither are regular voice calls. Encryption isn't necessary to communicate. And given that governments/intelligence agencies have previously tried to get tech companies to give them a backdoor to all encrypted communication, it's ironic that they're now suddenly trying to champion the cause. Not to mention the fact that most people post the details of their entire lives on social media, without a care about who has access to it (so encrypted messaging wouldn't be anything they know/care about).

You can't send pictures/video and other media (EDIT: you can, just not at high resolution), but there are plenty of other ways to send them, including the aforementioned social media. Would it be more convenient to send them in an interoperable way using the default messaging app? Sure. And this will happen next year when Apple introduces support for RCS.

edited December 2023 stompyd_2williamlondontimpetusroundaboutnowAlex1Nwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 31
    They want to build something cool for messaging, great.  They want to work with Apple, great.  But doing this by - as I understand it - spoofing the identity of a legit Apple device - is not the way to go.  No non-FOSS company would.  Especially one that is working hard to provide privacy and security.  Apple as a single HW+SW platform has 50% of the mobile market not because they coerced their customers, but because they have an near-seamlessly-integrated data ecosystem, quality products, and that they manufacture the SW and HW together - something Android and MS have never gotten right for long.  
    d_2williamlondontimpetusAlex1Nwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Politics vs. Common sense, once more. 
    What are the odds?
    killroywilliamlondontimpetusAlex1Nwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 14 of 31
    igorsky said:
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    Well then there’s a lot of work ahead because literally no messenger in existence is interoperable with other messengers. In fact I’d say iMessage is more interoperable than most due it it’s fall back to SMS, which is truly a universal format. 
    That’s why it needs to be an industry effort. For it to happen it will no doubt require legislation. 

auxio
  • Reply 15 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    igorsky said:
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    That’s why it needs to be an industry effort. For it to happen it will no doubt require legislation. 

So are you saying that you can't send text messages to anyone you want?  I send to every phone both Apple and Android, so what is the problem?
    williamlondontimpetusAlex1Nwatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 16 of 31
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    Politics vs. Common sense, once more. 
    What are the odds?
    I'd argue that there are three things at odds with each other: profit, politics, and common sense. People who only believe in personal gain often leave the first one out and shift blame to the second one because it aids their cause, even though they're often using the first one to influence the second one and exploiting the fact that there isn't enough of the third one in the world to see through it all.
    wonkothesaneAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    goofy1958 said:
    avon b7 said:
    igorsky said:
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:

So are you saying that you can't send text messages to anyone you want?  I send to every phone both Apple and Android, so what is the problem?
    You can pick up a pen and paper, write a letter and send it too. 

That would also be a text message. 

The problem is that IM messaging is far more than plain text. 
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Apple should have let it ride for awhile, then hit Beeper with a multi-million dollar lawsuit over hacking and theft of services.

Regardless, Apple already promised support for the RCS standard (which isn't Google's specific implementation). 
    watto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Remember that RCS currently does not include encryption so those bubbles will still be green. Android users will still have to wait for encryption to be implemented. 
    watto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 20 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,365member
    jayweiss said:
    Remember that RCS currently does not include encryption so those bubbles will still be green. Android users will still have to wait for encryption to be implemented. 
    RCS E2E encryption is already implemented for Android users, including by default even when backed up to the cloud. No one can see the contents besides the participants, not Google itself or authorities by court order. RCS privacy and security is not an issue until an iPhone user or other incompatible participant enters the conversation and breaks the encryption string,

That problem will remain even after Apple decides to add RCS as backup. It cannot be E2EE for Apple Messages until the carriers who essentially run RCS agree it can. They know how to, but benefit more by not doing it. Still, RCS is safer than using SMS/MMS, so it's a plus if Apple uses it. 
    edited December 2023