If you want blue iMessage bubbles that much, buy an iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Well done. Could not have said better myself. Cheers Will. You are correct. 
    watto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 42 of 59
    I feel their pain, but sadly the only way out is to find a lake or a short pier...
    radarthekat
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Jesus h... Apple users are obsessed with Beeper Mini. You know how I know? Check the comment section of an Apple site on this topic vs an Android/Google site. You guys are raging about it. For some news articles regarding Beeper Mini on Google/Android sites, crickets…
    edited December 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 59
    Matthew W.Matthew W. Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Apps like Beeper wouldn't exist at all if Apple hadn't been stubbornly, purposefully and artificially making messaging between iPhone and Android utter garbage for years. And I'm not holding my breath for their adoption of RCS to fix everything - I'm sure Apple will find some way to make RCS artificially worse than iMessage.

williamlondon
  • Reply 45 of 59
    As an iPhone user since the beginning, this blue bubble envy is laughable to me. Every android user I know, doesn’t even bother texting me through MMS/SMS because of the poor image and video quality. They all make it a point to exclusively message me through FaceBook messenger. Even when I have mentioned if I don’t respond right away, to send a regular text to get my attention. This is because the notification sound for FB Messenger is fairly low IMO, but regardless, I never get a traditional text from them, only Messenger. Even my family in Europe with iPhones don’t send texts, and use WhatsApp instead.
    edited December 2023 gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 59
    I have seen Apple users more worried about this than Android users, who have endured green bubble stigma for so long that they no longer care.

On a funny note, I know a guy who works in an Apple store who says that iPhone users are the most worried when their iMessage fails and they show up as green bubbles, more so than even actual problems such as broken screens or components.

Following all of this on Reddit and other sites has made me realise that it's actually Apple users who care more about bubble colours to the point that a 9to5mac user wants to sue the DOJ and the FTC if they play any part in Android users getting blue bubbles.

Seeing all of this makes me want to see Apple launch an Android client for iMessage.
    gatorguyursues_1williamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 59
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 30unconfirmed, member
    What a bunch of loosers outside the US, not caring about blue bubbles. Blue bubbles are Da Bomb.

So, I must be one of those loosers. About one in 100 messages I receive are with iMessage (and 90% of them are just plain old silly SMS messages, for instance for 2FA). For messaging I use WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal and even Google Chat. And good ol’ email.

If I’d ask my daughter (14yo) what color iMessages are in, she won’t know. She’ll probably even ask “what’s iMessage?” even though she has been using it for years. The messages app used is just not relevant for her. Where your pals can be reached is, no matter the color of whatever bubble.

Easy fix: allow the bubble color to be configurable.
    gatorguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Whataboutism is a logical fallacy, but is still shockingly successful as a debate technique in the court of public opinion. It's up there with trying to prove a negative.

You do realize that a point being argued with a logical fallacy doesn't invalidate/refute a point being made, right?  The idea that a point being argued in invalid simply because it was argued fallaciously is what is known as a fallacy fallacy argument.

williamlondon
  • Reply 49 of 59
    I am so sick of reading BS statements about Apple "forcing" users to do this or that. Apple is forcing no one to do anything. In terms of sales, Apple remains a minority player in the mobile phone and computer markets. Android and Windows outsell Apple by far. Apple offers consumers the choice of having their hardware and software all managed by one company in a walled garden ecosystem with an emphasis on security, digital privacy and ease of use. If you don't like the idea of that... GREAT! There are countless non-Apple choices out there for you. The only people who consistently complain about Apple are people who don't own Apple products. The only people railing against Apple's walled garden are people who aren't in it. It's insane. You made your choice about what to buy, so get on with your life! If a central "problem" in your life is that your message bubbles are green instead of blue, there is something tragically, desperately wrong with what you consider to be important in life. 
    edited December 2023 ronn
  • Reply 50 of 59
    tyushk said:
    All it does is say to Apple "yeah I'm a Mac. Here's a serial number. Yeah it's my serial number and not randomly generated, trust me bro" and Apple blindly accepts that. From there, it uses the same security, the same encryption, and the same trust as a real iPhone or Mac. 
    So… spoof then. 

And yes, spoofs are bad. It’s a hack. Tricking a system to gain access is a bypass of security and therefore a risk.  Not a good thing. 

“Oh gee officer, I didn’t steal that persons money, I just put in credentials that matched theirs and the online shopping store blindly accepted it.” 
    The thing is what this is spoofing. All it does is spoof that it's a real Mac. No credentials or keyrings are spoofed. After it's been "proven" to be a real Mac, Apple doesn't care. It's an artificial wall.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 51 of 59
    charlesn said:
    I am so sick of reading BS statements about Apple "forcing" users to do this or that. Apple is forcing no one to do anything. In terms of sales, Apple remains a minority player in the mobile phone and computer markets. Android and Windows outsell Apple by far. Apple offers consumers the choice of having their hardware and software all managed by one company in a walled garden ecosystem with an emphasis on security, digital privacy and ease of use. If you don't like the idea of that... GREAT! There are countless non-Apple choices out there for you. The only people who consistently complain about Apple are people who don't own Apple products. The only people railing against Apple's walled garden are people who aren't in it. It's insane. You made your choice about what to buy, so get on with your life! If a central "problem" in your life is that your message bubbles are green instead of blue, there is something tragically, desperately wrong with what you consider to be important in life. 
    Apple is in no way a minority player in the US, they have a 50% market share and earn over 80% profit over all other players in the field.

Android users only complain because iPhone users are the one making their life difficult, calling them poor, excluding them from groups etc. all facilitated by Apple in their various marketing campaigns and creating a social stigma around users of other platforms through decades of media manipulation. You and many iOS users don't complain about that because you stay inside the garden throwing dirt on everyone outside.

Now, when you believe that fake sense of elitism is about to be taken from you, you come here telling people suffering from this stigma mocking them for even feeling left out, when you could just as easily avoid it as it doesn't affect you in any way.
    edited December 2023 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamBlizzard
  • Reply 52 of 59
    jacob_rad said:
    I have seen Apple users more worried about this than Android users, who have endured green bubble stigma for so long that they no longer care.

On a funny note, I know a guy who works in an Apple store who says that iPhone users are the most worried when their iMessage fails and they show up as green bubbles, more so than even actual problems such as broken screens or components.

Following all of this on Reddit and other sites has made me realise that it's actually Apple users who care more about bubble colours to the point that a 9to5mac user wants to sue the DOJ and the FTC if they play any part in Android users getting blue bubbles.

Seeing all of this makes me want to see Apple launch an Android client for iMessage.
    Yes, that much is quite evident at this point.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Guys. 

It’s really simple. 

If you want the next fiull fledged Mario or Zelda games, you buy Nintendo. 

If you want god of war, you buy Sony. 

If you want halo, you buy Microsoft. 

If you want iMessage you buy apple. 

That’s just the way it is. 

If you didn’t buy Nintendo there are other games for you. 

If you didn’t buy apple, there are a million other messaging apps. 

Do t complain just because you made the wrong choice. Save your Pennie’s and make the right one next time. 

The demise of critical thinking in the culture today is staggering. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 54 of 59

Jesus h... Apple users are obsessed with Beeper Mini. You know how I know? Check the comment section of an Apple site on this topic vs an Android/Google site. You guys are raging about it. For some news articles regarding Beeper Mini on Google/Android sites, crickets…
    Thank you. Yes we are seriously obsessed with the security of our data and wish to keep hackers such as the beeper group and all phishers, spoofers, etc. of their ilk far away from any systems we use. 

Thankfully Apple matches this obsession - which is why we buy their products. 

Don’t be bitter and jealous. Just buy apple and be happy. 
    edited December 2023 baconstang
  • Reply 55 of 59
    ursues_1 said:
    charlesn said:
    Apple is in no way a minority player in the US, they have a 50% market share and earn over 80% profit over all other players in the field.

Yeah, no. Who is your source? Mine is Consumer Intelligence Research Partners which puts Apple's current market share at 39%. They specialize in exactly this kind of research and intelligence for analysts, investors and industry stakeholders. They publish a report on Apple weekly to Substack. But you are correct that Apple's share of global smartphone profits is in the 80% range. Apple doesn't bother with the "high volume but no profits" low end of the handset market and they don't whore themselves when it comes to cutting prices to move their phones. 
    9secondkox2ronnbaconstang
  • Reply 56 of 59
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    (from the article)
    “There is a decent argument to be made about the cost of the newest model year iPhones making them out of the reach of half of the US population…”

it would make a great argument if you had the numbers to back up your “basis” for said argument,, otherwise it’s just fodder for the gossip mongers and carries as much weight as this CEOs position. 

People will choose what they want based on want rather than need (in this case) and will purchase an iPhone by creative financing—when they stop buying iPhones is when you can make that argument and even then, you would have to prove it by numbers. 

So, rather than an argument, you might be able to get away with an “opinion” about the cost but it’s not argument. 

All this fighting over colors. Reminds me of prison gangs who are killing each other over the color periwinkle and can’t remember the original reason for why they’re fighting. 

The world is aflame and we’re discussing the importance of blue vs green bubbles.

Truly a position of privilege AND a first world problem. 
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 57 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,229member
    charlesn said:
    ursues_1 said:
    charlesn said:

Yeah, no. Who is your source? Mine is Consumer Intelligence Research Partners which puts Apple's current market share at 39%. They specialize in exactly this kind of research and intelligence for analysts, investors and industry stakeholders. They publish a report on Apple weekly to Substack. But you are correct that Apple's share of global smartphone profits is in the 80% range. Apple doesn't bother with the "high volume but no profits" low end of the handset market and they don't whore themselves when it comes to cutting prices to move their phones. 
    Most every other stat shows Apple well over 50% market in the US. Try Statista. Or Counterpoint Research. Or Statcounter. Don't accept specific numbers as gospel. Always remember reports like these aren’t exact and vary based on factors like sample size and the randomness of the respondents participating. Apple may not have gaudy 58% US market share of the smartphone market that others report, but IMO, it's improbable they're south of 40% either. 

IMHO, that particular CIRP report you are relying on is promoted because it helps Apple's antitrust claims, minimizing the footprint of the world's richest and most powerful tech.

I find that amusing, since we have no lack of articles here about how much the market relies on Apple, the power they hold in the industry, and how they are uniquely positioned to control the direction of consumer technology. No other company gets that kind of promotion.

Now with rising attention from competition authorities on multiple continents, it's advantageous to be seen as too small and weak to have the same rules applied to them as other less powerful but still massively rich US techs. 
    edited December 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Thankfully Apple matches this obsession - which is why we buy their products. 
    They don't care about your security. They care about looking like they care about your security.

IMessage is walled off to non Apple users, not by enhanced encryption or 0 trust protocols, but by a green slip. That's the root of how these "hackers and spoofers" get iMessage to play nice; by forging the green slip.
    gatorguy