Apple won't send reviewers a Vision Pro without briefings, says Gurman

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited January 10

Unsurprisingly, Apple has a plan for just how to make sure technology reviewers learn about Apple Vision Pro, but there's now a schedule too.

Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro

When Apple launched the iPhone in 2007, it was in such a weak position that it probably sent review units to anyone who'd write about it. Now with Apple Vision Pro, everything has changed and Apple aims to do all it can to ensure it gets the best press coverage it can.

For consumers, that's meant presenting a video teaser that has more than a nod to the original iPhone ad. For the industry, it's meant announcing the Vision Pro's shipping date during CES.

Now according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple is also controlling just how and when reviewers get to see and use the Vision Pro.

Apple's carefully orchestrated Vision Pro reviews plan: a hands-on "experience" with chosen reviewers on Jan 16, a follow up meeting to go over the device again on Jan 23, device then shipped to reviewers. Reviews published at the end of the month. Nothing left to chance.

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

It's not unusual for Apple to give a hands-on briefing to journalists, though it is unusual for them to give each journalist two. But reportedly that is what will happen, with the initial meeting on Tuesday, January 16, 2024, and the follow-up a week later.

Apple obviously can't control what any reviewer says about Vision Pro. But it can ensure that no one gives it a bad review just because they've put it on the wrong way, forgotten to plug in the battery, or that they've simply missed a key feature.

It's also likely that by having meetings before a reviewer gets a Vision Pro to try, that Apple can also make sure that the lenses are correct for each person. This is what stops Vision Pro being an entirely off-the-shelf purchase, the need to potentially have it adjusted with corrective or prescription lenses.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    byronlbyronl Posts: 371member
    The MacRumors article title implied that Some will orchestrate the reviews themselves, instead of just doing two hands-on sessions with the reviewers. Thanks for the clearer and less sensational title and article.
    edited January 10 mknelsonForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Probably isn't going to be so special if you have to worry so much about negative reviews.

Regardless, this device will probably be well received, but it wouldn't be an iPhone replacement. Not for the next decade.
    williamlondongrandact739secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    The last sentence is what will seriously hamper this product.

I always see the value of new Apple when others usually don’t.  When everyone was crying over the iPad being an oversized iPhone I could see exactly what it could become.

This WOULD excite me.  But doesn’t.

i really wish it would.  But I use varifocals.  And even if it WAS possible to use the vision pro the added cost would be just prohibitive :(
    pulseimageswilliamlondonbyronlgrandact739secondkox2
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Probably isn't going to be so special if you have to worry so much about negative reviews.

Regardless, this device will probably be well received, but it wouldn't be an iPhone replacement. Not for the next decade.
    What a strange comment. Apple isn’t promoting Vision Pro as an iPhone replacement. So yeah, it’s not going to be an iPhone replacement it also won’t replace the Apple Watch, your car, oven and shower. 
    williamlondonbyronl9secondkox2Alex1NForumPostgregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29

What a strange comment. Apple isn’t promoting Vision Pro as an iPhone replacement. So yeah, it’s not going to be an iPhone replacement it also won’t replace the Apple Watch, your car, oven and shower. 
    Many people on this forum and Reddit are considering this device to be the one which replaces iPhones, just like iPhones did for iPods cutting off Microsoft's chance before the Zune could even compete, they hope the same will happen to Android based phones. I made the comment addressing that mentality about it, history isn't going to repeat this instance.

In my opinion it's going to be a separate niche category and isn't going to replace phones anytime soon, though it heavily depends upon the advancement of the technology.
    edited January 10 williamlondonbyronlgrandact73ForumPost9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29

I always see the value of new Apple when others usually don’t.  When everyone was crying over the iPad being an oversized iPhone I could see exactly what it could become.

i really wish it would.  But I use varifocals.  And even if it WAS possible to use the vision pro the added cost would be just prohibitive :(
    It doesn't excite you because you know you probably can't use it.

Most people don't have varifocals, or even glasses.
    williamlondon9secondkox2gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29

Many people on this forum and Reddit are considering this device to be the one which replaces iPhones, just like iPhones did for iPods cutting off Microsoft's chance before the Zune could even compete, they hope the same will happen to Android based phones. I made the comment addressing that mentality about it, history isn't going to repeat this instance.

In my opinion it's going to be a separate niche category and isn't going to replace phones anytime soon, though it heavily depends upon the advancement of the technology.
    It's a replacement for computer monitors and televisions. 
    williamlondonjas999secondkox2Alex1Ndanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    nubusnubus Posts: 562member
    sloth77 said:

64% of the total population wear glasses at times. Those that can afford it are likely to use glasses.
    I do hope a future version is able to compensate for it through software.
    mknelsongrandact73Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,137member
    byronl said:
    The MacRumors article title implied that Some will orchestrate the reviews themselves, instead of just doing two hands-on sessions with the reviewers. Thanks for the clearer and less sensational title and article.
    I hadn't been on MacRumors yet today: "Apple 'Carefully Orchestrating' Vision Pro Reviews With Multiple Meetings"

That's a very poor word choice by MacRumors. Mark Gurman's use of the word "orchestrating" seems more accurate based on the context of a plan.
    ForumPostbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,137member
    @notwichred - can't quote you for some reason.

The Vision pro is designed to sit close to your face and hasn't provided room for glasses (unlike say a PSVR2).

It's a fixed focal distance so simple corrective lenses should be sufficient, and based on other postings the costs aren't too bad especially when compared to the price of the Vision Pro itself. $99 for readers, $149 for prescription lenses.

I have to admit I haven't tried my PSVR2 since I got progressive lenses a month ago - not sure how that works for looking down…
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member

Your opinion is also Apple's opinion, and also pretty much everyone's opinion.

I haven't seen a single person suggest this is being considered as an iPhone replacement except for you.
    9secondkox2Alex1Ngregoriusmmichelb76byronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,215member

In the future with an Apple Modem and iteration it could so what? The same could said of other Apple devices.......
    edited January 10 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Can’t review it without us telling you what to and not to say. 

reviews with conditions. 

That’s not very genuine. 

If it doesn’t just make sense or someone sees it differently or explains it differently - that’s why we have so many reviewers. 

Ridiculous. Everything about this thing is and has been so in-apple. 

Send the unit and let the reviewer be honest about it. 
    grandact73
  • Reply 14 of 29
    mknelson said:
    @notwichred - can't quote you for some reason.

The Vision pro is designed to sit close to your face and hasn't provided room for glasses (unlike say a PSVR2).

It's a fixed focal distance so simple corrective lenses should be sufficient, and based on other postings the costs aren't too bad especially when compared to the price of the Vision Pro itself. $99 for readers, $149 for prescription lenses.

I have to admit I haven't tried my PSVR2 since I got progressive lenses a month ago - not sure how that works for looking down…
    The quote feature is buggy. Sometimes you have to refresh the page in order for a quote to work. Seems to happen if you’ve already quoted and replied and then try to again. Solution is refresh. 
    edited January 10
  • Reply 15 of 29

Heck no. 

A big, high res monitor/tv that I can enjoy with friends and family - or a pressure-held thing suctioned to my face that I have to remove entirely to get a break from. 

I’ll take the standalone tv/monitor all day every day. 

Current headsets aren’t screen replacements and they’ll never be. 

It’s a niche, fun personal device that has its own merits but also limitations and won’t be replacing fundamental categories. 
    Alex1Nbyronl
  • Reply 16 of 29
    sloth77 said:

It doesn't excite you because you know you probably can't use it.

63% of Americans wear prescription eyeglasses.
    9secondkox2grandact73RespiteAlex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29

You've given me an idea. Shower app for VisionOS coming.
    Alex1Nbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,729member

" but it wouldn't be an iPhone replacement. Not for the next decade."

Not ever.  The smartphone, is one of those rare transformational devices.  To replace it will be a lot harder than people think and I don't think Vision Pro (or any product like it) is the product to do that.
    Alex1Nbyronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Can’t review it without us telling you what to and not to say. 

reviews with conditions. 

That’s not very genuine. 

If it doesn’t just make sense or someone sees it differently or explains it differently - that’s why we have so many reviewers. 

Ridiculous. Everything about this thing is and has been so in-apple. 

Send the unit and let the reviewer be honest about it. 
    I think Apple just wants educated reviews which the article already mentioned by making sure they are properly briefed and device is configured beforehand. Can’t have stupidity in the way. 
    Afarstar9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobra40domi
  • Reply 20 of 29

You've given me an idea. Shower app for VisionOS coming.
    Going to make good use of that stereoscopic video. 
    watto_cobra