Apple Vision Pro customers face a 25-minute in-store sales pitch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    The critics here seem to have forgotten that the  Apple Watch rollout invoked appointments and a walk though as well. 

Or that Mac, iPad and Apple Watch purchases come with a 30 mins product walk through done virtually. 

Perhaps they never knew these things, they really  don’t come off a particularly bright or informed. 
    edited January 14 macxpressthtchasmmacgui9secondkox2baconstangbyronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 68
    This is the future of the internet, it will be bigger than the personal computer and bigger than the smart phone. For many years the main way to access the internet was sitting at a desk, looking at an around a 15” screen, and using a mouse. Then for the last decade and a half most people access the internet with a 4” piece of glass and using their fingers on the touchscreen. Those will both seem quaint someday. Apple Vision is the first step in the majority of people being able to visit the internet as though it is an actual place or have the internet be part of the place they’re at. Shopping for something at Target? Do you want to be looking at the item an inch high on your phone, or looking at it as though you’re IN Target and actually looking at the item? Making travel plans? Want to see your hotel room in a photo a couple inches in size  on a tablet, or would you rather walk around in the room as though you’re there? Love sports? Want to watch the Chiefs trick play touchdown on your little phone screen or watch it like you’re on the sideline? 

The Apple Vision Pro is a VERY expensive first step obviously, but it’s the Vision OS that everyone should be paying attention to because that’s the future that Apple is taking us to. There will eventually be a pair of glasses that we can easily throw on that won’t look much different than a pair of Oakleys, that will run Vision OS with an iPhone at first and then someday without. 

Steve Jobs influence is still alive and well at Apple, they’re skating to where the puck is going not where it’s at. There are going to be a TON of naysayers for this thing because they’re not seeing 5 to 10 years from now. Apple sees it and has spent many 10’s of billions of dollars to make this happen. Someday just being able command the internet with your eyes and have it be life size (or bigger) will be the most normal thing and EVERYONE will be doing it. 
    XedRonnnieOjwdawso9secondkox2byronlh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 68
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    If you don't like doing all of that shit then why not just buy it online and have it shipped to you? I'd rather go through a demo so you know what to do at first instead of getting frustrated. I think Apple is just trying to make it a positive experience for the end user out of the box since this is a totally new way of computing. 

It's kinda like buying a car...the salesman will go through the features of the car and then the infotainment system before driving off the lot. 
    XedRonnnieOchasmbyronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 68
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member
    The last two times I bought iPhones at the Apple Store, I knew exactly what I wanted and was in a hurry but still couldn’t get out of there in less than an hour, due to the wait for a salesperson, then all of the talking they wanted to do, then bringing the phone out from the back and ringing up the purchase. Pretty frustrating, since I wasn’t really expecting it. So 25 minutes in this case sounds downright speedy. 
    That is what click and collect is for. 
    Plus you can use referral links to get airline points or other bonuses.

I'm sure if 30seconds in to the pitch you whipped out the credit card and said bag it up "I'm good" they would then tell you they don't actually have stock. 

byronlh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 68
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Sounds like the right way to approach it. You also don’t want a bunch of randoms trying it out just for kicks and potentially braking something. Basically you want serious or just interested parties trying it on. 
    You mean like they do every other Apple product? Going in and trying something is one of the ways you discover a desire to purchase. 

A supervised demo is fine for a fragile device. But a 25 minute speech means something’s wrong. 

The whole thing is starting to look convoluted 
    25 min speech? 

Either you didn’t read the article or you didn’t understand it. 
    That's what he does. Just negative, knee-jerk reactions with an emphasis on the latter part of the conjugated adjective.

The critics here seem to have forgotten that the  Apple Watch rollout invoked appointments and a walk though as well. 

Or that Mac, iPad and Apple Watch purchases come with a 30 mins product walk through done virtually. 

Perhaps they never knew these things, they really  don’t come off a particularly bright or informed. 
    Nice example! I had completely forgotten about Apple dong that.
    edited January 14 macxpress9secondkox2byronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 68
    The last two times I bought iPhones at the Apple Store, I knew exactly what I wanted and was in a hurry but still couldn’t get out of there in less than an hour, due to the wait for a salesperson, then all of the talking they wanted to do, then bringing the phone out from the back and ringing up the purchase. Pretty frustrating, since I wasn’t really expecting it. So 25 minutes in this case sounds downright speedy. 
    I don't doubt your story, but my experiences have been very different. I've simply told them what I want and they got it. The longest part of the process was waiting for something to help me after I got to the store and had my name put into the iPad for queuing.
    thtbaconstangbyronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 68
    designr said:
    1. $3,500
    2. Face-scanning to size it.
    3. Half-hour sales pitch.
    Could they possibly put anymore friction on the customer path?

It must be purposeful. Apple must know by now that this was the wrong path. For every mile they push a rock uphill, the hill grows 2 miles higher. Apple can’t just quietly back away at this point and they need to have this bear some fruit. So whether it’s a version 3 product or an unrelated thing “that couldn’t be done without lessons learned from a shipping Vision Pro,” Apple is marching forward but with clear signs that this isn’t intended to be a mass market deal. 

And it’s not even out yet. Pretty rough stuff. 

The price is just… wow. I could buy a decent spec Mac for that. You know there is something wrong at the foundation/concept level when you have to over engineer the entire thing just to get it to make sense, solve flaws, etc. it’s just a bad concept. I mean kudos to Apple for having the brain and brawn to punch a square peg through a round hole, but dang. At some point, you just wake up and recognize this just isn’t something to pursue. 
    edited January 14 designrgrandact73macplusplus
  • Reply 28 of 68
    AVP is not a toaster. I think Apple is spot on with curating the user community. I also predict AVP will be in scarce supply.
    9secondkox2chasmbaconstangbyronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 68
    MisterKit said:
    AVP is not a toaster. I think Apple is spot on with curating up the user community. I also predict AVP will be in scarce supply.
    Should be. They’re in scarce supply from the factory. If its numbers don’t sell out, there’s a bigger problem than anyone knows. But apple knows how to manage a supply chain and manufacture a sell-out. 
    edited January 14 byronl
  • Reply 30 of 68
    designr said:
    1. $3,500

It must be purposeful. Apple must know by now that this was the wrong path. For every mile they push a rock uphill, the hill grows 2 miles higher. Apple can’t just quietly back away at this point and they need to have this bear some fruit. So whether it’s a version 3 product or an unrelated thing “that couldn’t be done without lessons learned from a shipping Vision Pro,” Apple is marching forward but with clear signs that this isn’t intended to be a mass market deal. 

The price is just… wow. I could buy a decent spec Mac for that. You know there is something wrong at the foundation/concept level when you have to over engineer the entire thing just to get it to make sense, solve flaws, etc. it’s just a bad concept. I mean kudos to Apple for having the brain and brawn to punch a square peg through a round hole, but dang. At some point, you just wake up and recognize this just isn’t something to pursue. 
    You know people said the same thing about the iPhone when it came out and look where it is. Same can be said for Apple Watch, the iPod, the Mac, etc. You're the Steve Ballmer of this forum hands down. You have absolutely no vision (no pun intended) of future technology. You just want to stick with the status quo because it's good enough for today. 
    9secondkox2chasmbaconstangbyronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 68
    designr said:
    1. $3,500

Given the relatively low production numbers the friction is a feature not a bug. 
    jwdawsobyronlmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 68
    macxpress said:
    designr said:
    1. $3,500

You know people said the same thing about the iPhone when it came out and look where it is. Same can be said for Apple Watch, the iPod, the Mac, etc. You're the Steve Ballmer of this forum hands down. You have absolutely no vision (no pun intended) of future technology. You just want to stick with the status quo because it's good enough for today. 
    not even remotely close to the same situation. Not at all. 
    designrgrandact73muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 68

Anilu_777 said:
    Sounds like the right way to approach it. You also don’t want a bunch of randoms trying it out just for kicks and potentially braking something. Basically you want serious or just interested parties trying it on. 
    You mean like they do every other Apple product? Going in and trying something is one of the ways you discover a desire to purchase. 

A supervised demo is fine for a fragile device. But a 25 minute speech means something’s wrong. 

25 min speech? 

Anilu_777 said:

25 min speech? 

Apparently you didn’t read the part that clearly reads “SALES PITCH”

buck up on basic vocab before embarasssing yourself further. 

Whether spoken word only or with visual aids, a pitch is at its core - a *gasp!* speech. 
    edited January 14
  • Reply 34 of 68
    macxpress said:
    designr said:
    1. $3,500

not even remotely close to the same situation. Not at all. 
    Like hell it isn't lol
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 68
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    Rogue01 said:
    A 25 minute sales pitch.  So it is like getting suckered into a timeshare purchase.

Yeah, Apple has a lot of convincing to do.  No one has interest in the AR space, and $3500 isn't going to convince anyone for running iPad apps in 'space'.

The iPhone solved a problem.  This solves nothing.
    To your first comment: this is a rumour, not a fact. Let’s wait and see, though I can see that while they are fitting the headband and lenses, there will likely be some tutorial chatter — but that is all happening simultaneously. If you walk into an Apple Store and say “I want to buy an Apple Vision Pro,” the response will be “great! Let’s get it custom fitted for you” rather than “oh no sir/ma’am, not so fast — please step this way to begin your first class in what it is and how to use it.”

As to your second comment (and many of the other comments): you may be making the mistake of thinking this is a consumer product focused on entertainment. It is not (though it can do that). Apple has made it pretty clear that their first target market is industry/commercial/productivity use, not consumers (though there are more than enough of the idle rich to justify selling the device in stores).

The Vision Pro isn’t even the actual product — the product is “spatial computing.” Once everyone (businesses and consumers) see more about what that will do for them over current computing, the Vision Pro and its imitators will likely flourish — again, first with industry, then later with consumers.

To use an analogy: when 75-inch HDTVs first came out, they were waaaaaaaaayyyy too expensive for consumers. But every company with a boardroom snapped them up happily. Then the price came down. Now consumers buy 65-inch and larger televisions routinely.

As for your third comment: you may be lacking in some imagination there, but again you’re looking at it from a consumer perspective foremost. Maybe you are right and it will flop hard, but judging from the interest in other companies and developers, clearly this product solves at least some problems you and I may or may not have, but governments/industries/businesses/schools may have.

To throw your own analogy back at you: computers were “fine” with command lines, and cellphones were “fine” pre-iPhone. But look what happened.
    thtMisterKiteightzerobaconstangone9deucewilliamlondonwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 36 of 68
    chasm said:
    Rogue01 said:
    A 25 minute sales pitch.  So it is like getting suckered into a timeshare purchase.

Yeah, Apple has a lot of convincing to do.  No one has interest in the AR space, and $3500 isn't going to convince anyone for running iPad apps in 'space'.

The iPhone solved a problem.  This solves nothing.
    To your first comment: this is a rumour, not a fact. Let’s wait and see, though I can see that while they are fitting the headband and lenses, there will likely be some tutorial chatter — but that is all happening simultaneously. If you walk into an Apple Store and say “I want to buy an Apple Vision Pro,” the response will be “great! Let’s get it custom fitted for you” rather than “oh no sir/ma’am, not so fast — please step this way to begin your first class in what it is and how to use it.”

As to your second comment (and many of the other comments): you may be making the mistake of thinking this is a consumer product focused on entertainment. It is not (though it can do that). Apple has made it pretty clear that their first target market is industry/commercial/productivity use, not consumers (though there are more than enough of the idle rich to justify selling the device in stores).

The Vision Pro isn’t even the actual product — the product is “spatial computing.” Once everyone (businesses and consumers) see more about what that will do for them over current computing, the Vision Pro and its imitators will likely flourish — again, first with industry, then later with consumers.

To use an analogy: when 75-inch HDTVs first came out, they were waaaaaaaaayyyy too expensive for consumers. But every company with a boardroom snapped them up happily. Then the price came down. Now consumers buy 65-inch and larger televisions routinely.

As for your third comment: you may be lacking in some imagination there, but again you’re looking at it from a consumer perspective foremost. Maybe you are right and it will flop hard, but judging from the interest in other companies and developers, clearly this product solves at least some problems you and I may or may not have, but governments/industries/businesses/schools may have.

To throw your own analogy back at you: computers were “fine” with command lines, and cellphones were “fine” pre-iPhone. But look what happened.
    I can see a 25 minute experience being offered, but as a demo, not a sales pitch. If you’ve made an appt to get fitted toe AVP you really 
    don't need a pitch.
    baconstangwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 68
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    They should at least offer up some tea and Ted Lasso biscuits during the AVP fitting and orientation session. Seems appropriate for such a special occasion. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 38 of 68
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,341member
    The article makes it sound like a bad thing, which it isn't.  And crazy comments like "what a nightmare" are... well... just downright crazy.  It's almost like people want to be given the boot out the door immediately after paying $3500! Patience is clearly a virtue missed by both the article author and many posting here in the comments.  

If I were buying one, I would relish in such a 25-minute session, showing me more about the expensive device I am there to buy.  What some label a "sales pitch" I call a "helpful product overview session."  And for that high price, I should be given one!  And because it is totally new and not something people are accustomed to, it shouldn't be optional.  Making it optional would only result in more after-sale phone calls to figure out the very basics that 25-minute session will likely explain!

Why in THE WORLD would I NOT want such personalized attention and help?

Imagine yourself going out to buy a house, then you complain about the fact you had to talk to a realtor for 25 minutes!

People who are complaining about a 25-minute session with Apple probably shouldn't be buying one of these in the first place.

Most of you people probably want to find a full service gasoline station so you can complain they cleaned your front windshield and aired up your tires.

Cut Apple some slack.  And cut buyers some slack.  Sounds more like an envy session by people who can't afford one, and then who are here complaining on behalf of would-be wealthy buyers, which is all the more laughable.

I suspect most of you are too young to know the early days of Apple, when Macs came with a little tutorial on disk that taught people how to use a Mouse.  In like manner, this is a new product category, teaching people new tricks about an expensive new toy/tool.

But regardless of all that, one thing rings true...

PEOPLE COMPLAIN WAY TOO MUCH.
    eightzerojwdawsoRobJenk9secondkox2Pancakebaconstangthtmacxpresswatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 39 of 68
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member

Anilu_777 said:

25 min speech? 

Anilu_777 said:

25 min speech? 

Apparently you didn’t read the part that clearly reads “SALES PITCH”

buck up on basic vocab before embarasssing yourself further. 

Whether spoken word only or with visual aids, a pitch is at its core - a *gasp!* speech. 
    That Part is the Headline - which rarely, if ever, accurately reflects the information presented in the article. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 68
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I think it's reasonable at that stage. I don't want people to buy it and return it in thirty days. 

It's an expensive computer and should be taken seriously. If you're patient and go through 25 minutes learning how to take full advantage of Apple Vision Pro, then you'will get it and know your money's being spent for a good reason. 

Way too many people buy on impulse. 

Also, Apple Vision Pro will serve as a template for the future of spatial computing. 

It's possible that Apple and MS are in talks to make a room for spatial computing. After all, remember how MS brought Word to Mac? 
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobrabyronl