Apple Vision Pro customers face a 25-minute in-store sales pitch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,949member
    What a nightmare. 

Th logistics and the jumping through hoops just get a potential or actual customer to “understand” is indicative of something that doesn’t need to be shipped. The UX team should have handled this in a setup wizard. 

I don’t even want to imagine what irate tirade Jobs would have gone off on. 

Unbelievable. 
    You knew each other well, eh?
    baconstangwilliamlondon134859secondkox2watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 42 of 68
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,949member
    All the cranks poo-pooing the AV, a product they’ve never seen nor used, are hilarious. Dudes never learn. 
    thtwilliamlondonmacxpress9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 68
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,387member
    mattinoz said:

Anilu_777 said:
    Sounds like the right way to approach it. You also don’t want a bunch of randoms trying it out just for kicks and potentially braking something. Basically you want serious or just interested parties trying it on. 
    You mean like they do every other Apple product? Going in and trying something is one of the ways you discover a desire to purchase. 

A supervised demo is fine for a fragile device. But a 25 minute speech means something’s wrong. 

The whole thing is starting to look convoluted 
    25 min speech? 

Either you didn’t read the article or you didn’t understand it. 

Anilu_777 said:
    Sounds like the right way to approach it. You also don’t want a bunch of randoms trying it out just for kicks and potentially braking something. Basically you want serious or just interested parties trying it on. 
    You mean like they do every other Apple product? Going in and trying something is one of the ways you discover a desire to purchase. 

A supervised demo is fine for a fragile device. But a 25 minute speech means something’s wrong. 

25 min speech? 

Apparently you didn’t read the part that clearly reads “SALES PITCH”

buck up on basic vocab before embarasssing yourself further. 

Whether spoken word only or with visual aids, a pitch is at its core - a *gasp!* speech. 
    That Part is the Headline - which rarely, if ever, accurately reflects the information presented in the article. 
    This. The headline is borderline clickbait. The article following clearly says "lengthy sales pitch" and "25-minute demo" with no further mention of a 25-minute sales pitch.

This IS a pricey product. And yes the Vision Pro is a product. It makes sense that Apple wants to do everything it can to a) sell the product, b) provide a happy customer experience and c) reduce the amount of idiots making erroneous claims because they couldn't get the VP to work as advertised.

Getting a 25-minute demo on a product you haven't even committed to buying is HUGE. And weenies what to whine about that?? At anytime you cry "ENOUGH! TAKE MY MONEY" I'm sure they'll cancel the demo. But why would someone who at this point knows nothing about the capabilities and limitations of a $3500 product turn down a tutorial? 

I've bought many iPhone since 2007, and the only wait worth talking about was in 2007. The local Apple Store is always crowded though I haven't been to one since COVID came to town. Other than 2007 it's taken maybe 20 minutes max to get a phone.

So all the chicken littles can complain and whine about something that hasn't even happened. It makes them feel special. I'll wait to see how everything shakes out, dust settles etc. I don't mind paying $3500 for what the VP seems to promise. I do mind paying $3500 for a product that turns out not to be what I thought it would. So a "lengthy sales pitch" and a "25-minute demo" are well worth my time. And if it weeds out the idiots and "tourists" ahead of me so much the better.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 68
    one9deuce said:
    This is the future of the internet, it will be bigger than the personal computer and bigger than the smart phone. For many years the main way to access the internet was sitting at a desk, looking at an around a 15” screen, and using a mouse. Then for the last decade and a half most people access the internet with a 4” piece of glass and using their fingers on the touchscreen. Those will both seem quaint someday. Apple Vision is the first step in the majority of people being able to visit the internet as though it is an actual place or have the internet be part of the place they’re at. Shopping for something at Target? Do you want to be looking at the item an inch high on your phone, or looking at it as though you’re IN Target and actually looking at the item? Making travel plans? Want to see your hotel room in a photo a couple inches in size  on a tablet, or would you rather walk around in the room as though you’re there? Love sports? Want to watch the Chiefs trick play touchdown on your little phone screen or watch it like you’re on the sideline? 

The Apple Vision Pro is a VERY expensive first step obviously, but it’s the Vision OS that everyone should be paying attention to because that’s the future that Apple is taking us to. There will eventually be a pair of glasses that we can easily throw on that won’t look much different than a pair of Oakleys, that will run Vision OS with an iPhone at first and then someday without. 

Steve Jobs influence is still alive and well at Apple, they’re skating to where the puck is going not where it’s at. There are going to be a TON of naysayers for this thing because they’re not seeing 5 to 10 years from now. Apple sees it and has spent many 10’s of billions of dollars to make this happen. Someday just being able command the internet with your eyes and have it be life size (or bigger) will be the most normal thing and EVERYONE will be doing it. 
    Hate to be the breaker of bubbles, but the proverbial puck isn’t going to be in the headset space. It literally had already been there a decade ago and it turned out to be a nothing burger. 
    macplusplus
  • Reply 45 of 68
    mattinoz said:

Anilu_777 said:

25 min speech? 

Anilu_777 said:

25 min speech? 

Whether spoken word only or with visual aids, a pitch is at its core - a *gasp!* speech. 
    That Part is the Headline - which rarely, if ever, accurately reflects the information presented in the article. 
    Um… no. It’s literally in the first sentence of the body copy. 

edited January 15
  • Reply 46 of 68
    I don’t know what is worse — the stupid headline or the the idiotic posts based on the stupid headline.  So easily manipulated, and this is why media companies love you.  Unbelievable.

baconstangAppleZuluwilliamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 68
    The first iPhone was revolutionary, the only people who said that it wouldn't succeed were the CEOs of big tech corporations who were at competition with Apple.

It has no parallels with this product, most people are expecting it to be revolutionary but long time Apple users know how mundane it seems compared to other products in the market.

Regardless, the next decade is about AI and integration of AI into products, not about AR headsets. This will be like the first Apple watch, which was a failure and the line only succeeded after they pivoted to health features.

Remember, it will sell (Apple logo, rich guy symbol duh.), but it is not the product Apple is looking for to reduce their dependency on iPhone sales.
    edited January 15 williamlondonmacplusplus
  • Reply 48 of 68
    one9deuce said:
    This is the future of the internet, it will be bigger than the personal computer and bigger than the smart phone. For many years the main way to access the internet was sitting at a desk, looking at an around a 15” screen, and using a mouse. Then for the last decade and a half most people access the internet with a 4” piece of glass and using their fingers on the touchscreen. Those will both seem quaint someday. Apple Vision is the first step in the majority of people being able to visit the internet as though it is an actual place or have the internet be part of the place they’re at. Shopping for something at Target? Do you want to be looking at the item an inch high on your phone, or looking at it as though you’re IN Target and actually looking at the item? Making travel plans? Want to see your hotel room in a photo a couple inches in size  on a tablet, or would you rather walk around in the room as though you’re there? Love sports? Want to watch the Chiefs trick play touchdown on your little phone screen or watch it like you’re on the sideline? 

The Apple Vision Pro is a VERY expensive first step obviously, but it’s the Vision OS that everyone should be paying attention to because that’s the future that Apple is taking us to. There will eventually be a pair of glasses that we can easily throw on that won’t look much different than a pair of Oakleys, that will run Vision OS with an iPhone at first and then someday without. 

Steve Jobs influence is still alive and well at Apple, they’re skating to where the puck is going not where it’s at. There are going to be a TON of naysayers for this thing because they’re not seeing 5 to 10 years from now. Apple sees it and has spent many 10’s of billions of dollars to make this happen. Someday just being able command the internet with your eyes and have it be life size (or bigger) will be the most normal thing and EVERYONE will be doing it. 
    Hate to be the breaker of bubbles, but the proverbial puck isn’t going to be in the headset space. It literally had already been there a decade ago and it turned out to be a nothing burger. 
    Computers were a nothing burger in homes until the mouse and then the internet, phones were pretty much a nothing burger until iPhone multi-touch and the internet, this will be the exact same thing: Apple showing the way. 

I’m sitting on the couch holding up a 5” piece of glass in front of my face looking at the internet with words an 1/8” high and pictures the size of a postage stamp. If the lenses were resting on my face in front of my eyes and the internet was life-size it would be way, way, WAY better. I just watched highlights of the Rams and Lions game, the players were about 3/4” tall on my iPhone. If I could have watched those highlights like I was standing on the field during the actual game believe me I would have. And so will everyone else. That would be genuinely jaw-dropping. 

You’re missing the BIG picture of what Apple Vision will be able to do. 
    williamlondon13485watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 68
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,078member
    What a ridiculous click-bait headline. When Apple Insider solicited feedback recently on how they might improve, not publishing this sort of nonsense is what I should’ve responded with. 

It’s a $3,500+ new-category device. A VIP personalized customer service setup and introduction is not a “sales pitch.” The device has to be fitted and for many, corrective lenses identified and selected. The user interface is a new experience. 

If Apple started selling this device for that price and didn’t have an attentive, personalized customer introduction, that would be a reason to complain, but this “sales pitch” spin in just utter nonsense. 

foregoneconclusionwilliamlondonMisterKitKierkegaardenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 68
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,121member
    It’s worth noting that once people have these, they’ll be giving demos to their friends and families, and in-store demos will be less necessary. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 68

Anilu_777 said:

25 min speech? 

Anilu_777 said:

25 min speech? 

Thanks  for answering my question. It wasn’t that you didn’t read the article is it’s that you didn’t understand it. 

Cheers 
    edited January 15 williamlondon13485watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 68
    I’m going to be honest, I’m more interested in a durable folding iphone or having Apple tech in more everyday devices than the AVP in its currrent iteration. Am I missing something?
    williamlondonmacplusplus
  • Reply 53 of 68
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,873member
    For a product that will depend on 'fit' and potentially three different elements, I'd rather have all the fitting done in store and be ready to roll for the 'experience'.

It's not like ordering some footwear on Amazon where you can order, return and re-order, or buy different options and return the ones you don't want.

It's the nature of this particular beast and although I would never bite on such a first generation product (no matter the pitch), I understand some people will, and their experiences will improve things for others down the line. 
    tht9secondkox2
  • Reply 54 of 68
    What a nightmare. 

Th logistics and the jumping through hoops just get a potential or actual customer to “understand” is indicative of something that doesn’t need to be shipped. The UX team should have handled this in a setup wizard. 

I don’t even want to imagine what irate tirade Jobs would have gone off on. 

Unbelievable. 
    With the launch of the iPod had 30 mins walkthroughs of the device at Apple stores. Let’s see who was CEO then… checks notes …. Oh look, it was one Steven P. Jobs. I wonder if that was the same Steven P. Jobs that travels the country offering one on one demos of the original Macintosh to influencers of the day? It was! WOW, seems like was actually a big fan of this whole concept. 

There, I just saved your imagination a whole bunch of work. 
    AppleZulumacxpresswilliamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 68
    inklinginkling Posts: 773member
    If I were about to spend over $3000, I wouldn't be bothered by a 25-minute sales pitch. Indeed, I'd demand a lot more than that before I'd buy.
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 68
    1348513485 Posts: 359member
    If you buy a "Mercedes" you let them guide you through the features. Unless, of course, you're 9-Second guy who obviously is way too busy for that kind of hand-holding or social interaction, whether required for a product or not depending on your comfort level with figuring it all out on your own at home. I'm sure there'll be videos to get the basics.

I don't get the irritation some have about this. Apple will likely have chairs for you. And you're not obligated to buy--or buy-in. I'm not.
    9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 68
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    13485 said:
    If you buy a "Mercedes" you let them guide you through the features. Unless, of course, you're 9-Second guy who obviously is way too busy for that kind of hand-holding or social interaction, whether required for a product or not depending on your comfort level with figuring it all out on your own at home. I'm sure there'll be videos to get the basics.

I don't get the irritation some have about this. Apple will likely have chairs for you. And you're not obligated to buy--or buy-in. I'm not.
    Yeah, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Gurman is being his usual tabloid-adjacent self with all these articles revealing normal Apple practices, or any company, then the media around him take that tabloid framed piece of information and amps them to 11 as much as possible.

You absolutely want a long term demo on this product. It could make you motion sick, and if you are prone, you really should park yourself at the demo table and use it for as long as possible. You are also get help right there on how to use the device.

When buying a car, I wonder how long people demo the product? 30 minutes may be pretty generous. And obviously, there are some very expensive appliances that people have to buy without even using it. Also true of any product from Apple. They make it so easy to use all their products. It really behooves everyone to try before they buy.

And yeah, if you want to buy it right away and Apple has it in stock, they will sell you one as fast as possible and get you out the door. No demos required. Just like you walk into a car dealer and give them the money for car on the lot, they will sell it to you as fast as possible and get you out the door.
    macxpress9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 68
    A 2 dimensional tutorial is an inaccurate blueprint for spatial computing. I don't understand why anyone would scoff at the opportunity to experience and better understand the real thing. I'm completely behind Apple doing it this way to minimize the spread of misinformation.
    9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 68
    I don’t know what is worse — the stupid headline or the the idiotic posts based on the stupid headline.  So easily manipulated, and this is why media companies love you.  Unbelievable.

LOL. I don’t know what’s worse, not realizing the headline points are in the beginning of the body or the posts chasing those that do. Hilarious. 
  • Reply 60 of 68
    MisterKit said:
    A 2 dimensional tutorial is an inaccurate blueprint for spatial computing. I don't understand why anyone would scoff at the opportunity to experience and better understand the real thing. I'm completely behind Apple doing it this way to minimize the spread of misinformation.
    If you’re using a spatial computing device (I.e. AR/VR headset), then the tutorial would be all “spatially.” Not 2d. Unless the device just didn’t work. But it does. A optional tutorial should be the only thing. Not a mandatory sales spiel followed by a tutorial. 
    edited January 15