Netflix says use Safari on Apple Vision Pro, because you aren't getting an app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Since Netflix is not on any or the other goggle headsets they are in no rush to be on an elite goggle product from Apple. I would think  once the product works and gets priced under 1k they may take a second look.
    9secondkox2ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,277member
    M68000 said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Netflix not jumping in both feet first on a hyped new platform means they’ve taken a gander and weren’t impressed. 

Kind of like everyone else not selling apps for it. 

The effort and engineering power going into the VP is astounding. Unfortunately, it’s just fundamentally flawed as a concept. 

Yeah, that’s not what that means. Netflix has a history of being hostile towards Apple’s platforms.
    Actually,  I believe it’s because there is an unknown market for this kind of device, whether it costs $500 or $3500.  If the volume is not there, then the development is not there.

There is one thing for sure, it will be interesting to see what happens with the device.  Some people on these forums are so excited that they think monitors and big screen TV’s are now obsolete and pointless LOL.  I do not share the excitement for these goggles. Instead, wondering if it will create a vertigo effect for some people.  I just don’t see myself wanting to sit or stand around with goggles.  Sorry,
    not feeling it..

• Reply 23 of 44
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,118member
    eightzero said:
    I can't remember if Netflix offered an app for the iPhone when it came out.
    iPhone didn’t have an App Store when it came out. 
    Also, Netflix streaming launched in January 2007, a week after Jobs first announced the iPhone, but the phone came out months later. Initially, it was only available in browsers. Netflix collaborated with another company to design a set-top box for streaming, but pulled out of the project, and the resulting product, Roku, was released in May 2008. When I started streaming Netflix, I did it with a PS3, which involved getting Netflix to send me a special disc that I had to insert in the PS3 whenever I wanted to stream something. Eventually they transitioned to a downloadable app that made the disc unnecessary. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    danox said:
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    Oh. So I guess it didn't.

Now I can't remember if the mac had a netflix app when it came out. 

Like most they supported Microsoft Windows until they had no choice, if Netflix or Spotify disappeared tomorrow no big deal. 
    Netflix is by far the biggest streaming service.
    williamlondon9secondkox2grandact73ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Well, I'd say Disney Plus is the main competitor to Netflix, and Apple embraced Disney Plus and made it the premier video streaming app on VP.  That wouldn't make Netflix feel warm and fuzzy.  Honestly, the browser version of Netflix is great - the only big flaw is that so far, Netflix seems to block 4K and 4K/HDR on browsers - that would be a huge bummer for VP.  But I agree - it's not a market yet.  
    9secondkox2ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Since Netflix is not on any or the other goggle headsets they are in no rush to be on an elite goggle product from Apple. I would think  once the product works and gets priced under 1k they may take a second look.
    Why would it need to be priced under $1K? Apple sells the 27" 5K Studio Display monitor by itself for $1600. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    M68000 said: Some people on these forums are so excited that they think monitors and big screen TV’s are now obsolete and pointless LOL. 
    Not right now, but down the road they will be...and should be. It's a far more efficient use of materials and space. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,011member
    Netflix not jumping in both feet first on a hyped new platform means they’ve taken a gander and weren’t impressed. 

The effort and engineering power going into the VP is astounding. Unfortunately, it’s just fundamentally flawed as a concept. 
    Meh, who know the long game for this, but I'm sure its fairly trivial for a company the size of Netflix to do this regardless.

Their compression is often not the best so maybe not worth the full impact of a dedicated app!
    edited January 18 9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,572member
    So…they're treating Vision Pro just like the Mac? 

Makes sense to me. 
    tht9secondkox2dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    M68000 said:
    mjtomlin said:

Yeah, that’s not what that means. Netflix has a history of being hostile towards Apple’s platforms.
    Actually,  I believe it’s because there is an unknown market for this kind of device, whether it costs $500 or $3500.  If the volume is not there, then the development is not there.

There is one thing for sure, it will be interesting to see what happens with the device.  Some people on these forums are so excited that they think monitors and big screen TV’s are now obsolete and pointless LOL.  I do not share the excitement for these goggles. Instead, wondering if it will create a vertigo effect for some people.  I just don’t see myself wanting to sit or stand around with goggles.  Sorry,
    not feeling it..
    Who cares? 
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    chelinchelin Posts: 110member
    It would be funny if Apple TV+ didn’t support the platform.
    It doesn’t as far as I can tell. You do not see the history and recommendations for Netflix. But you do see for Hulu, Max, Paramount+ etc
  • Reply 32 of 44
    I believe they made an app for the quest vr but it wasn’t a good return on investment.  

taking a look at the Vision Pro, they likely saw that it’s really not going to be any different for them. 

Like any company, Netflix exists to make a profit. So they have to analyze the cost of developing a special app - the production of which must be higher than before due to the push by Disney plus (who was embraced by apple early rather than Netflix) - versus the actual return in gaining new subscribers, retaining current subscribers, upselling plans, etc. obviously they just don’t see an appreciable market worthy of the investment there. And to be fair, that seems to be the level-headed take. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 44
    M68000 said: Some people on these forums are so excited that they think monitors and big screen TV’s are now obsolete and pointless LOL. 
    Not right now, but down the road they will be...and should be. It's a far more efficient use of materials and space. 
    Negative. People want grandiose things. It’s human nature. And it’s healthier on your eyes to look at something big far away than something small extremely close up. 

Most people also don’t want to be isolated to a movie or whatever most of the time. 

The whole “immersive” vr thing is fun every now and then. But it’s never going to replace your computing/entertainment staples. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 44

gatorguy said:
    M68000 said:
    mjtomlin said:

not feeling it..

LOL. Optics like that certainly aren’t helping the case for headsets. Funny. Apple actual took those photos for the 9to5 Mac review, trying to give the best look possible. And Apple is actually taking the photos for all of those previews so far. Very controlling of the appearance of what is supposed to be independent third party previews. Not a good sign. 
    grandact73muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 44
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:

It did. But it was just an app to order giant film reels by mail. Jobs thought that the whole film vs Betamax vs vhs competition was a “big bag of hurt” so he scrapped it. 
    spheric
  • Reply 36 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,277member
    M68000 said:
    mjtomlin said:

not feeling it..
    Who cares? 
    Apple does.

Perception about this product is hugely important. Apple won't even allow mention of AR or VR. It's "spacial computing". Nor will they allow someone to buy it without an hour-long+ presale fitting, explanation, and training.

It takes but one wrong image, think "photo of guy in the shower" (those who were around for Google Glass will get it) to push an otherwise well-designed and thought-out product to creepy or looks stupid territory and ruin the market for it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 44
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,950member
    danox said:
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:

Like most they supported Microsoft Windows until they had no choice, if Netflix or Spotify disappeared tomorrow no big deal. 
    Netflix is by far the biggest streaming service.
    Profit/Revenue? Peanuts Music and Video streaming and in the case of Netflix once the Koreans learn their true value then what?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=Microsoft+apple+netflix+spotify+profit+revenue
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Logical. Why would you want to support a platform that has such a small expected user-base for the foreseeable future? It makes no economic sense. 

People here being snarky or ‘witty’ don’t seem to understand developing and supporting a new platform is very expensive.
    dewmemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    Probably not a bad thing considering their app for Roku TV is a complete piece of trash.  
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    thttht Posts: 5,494member

gatorguy said:
    M68000 said:
    mjtomlin said:

not feeling it..

LOL. Optics like that certainly aren’t helping the case for headsets. Funny. Apple actual took those photos for the 9to5 Mac review, trying to give the best look possible. And Apple is actually taking the photos for all of those previews so far. Very controlling of the appearance of what is supposed to be independent third party previews. Not a good sign. 
    The picture looks perfectly fine to me. It really doesn't matter what someone looks like to other people as long as the headset offers functionality and features that people want to use. If there really are features that drive usage, the way people look while using headsets will be normalized. If so, you will see people walking around with them on, going to lunch with them, etc.

What I do find interesting is that all the pictures of the journos using the VP have them holding up their arm or hand to pinch-click. That's like a habitual response from people as it is ingrained in us to point at things we look at or to gesticulate in view. Eventually, with enough usage, your hands will just end up resting on your thigh, stomach or table, and the only muscles you are using are the ones for the thumb and pointy finger.

But in the back of my mind, maybe it's too ingrained to overcome? It supposedly takes 10,000 repetitions to make a new motion feel natural.
    watto_cobra