Masimo CEO: Apple users are better off without Apple Watch pulse oximetry

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    When my wife was very poorly after having Covid, the GP gave her an oximeter and told her to use it several times a day, log the results and if it goes below 95%, call emergency services or go straight to A&E.

She didn't have to continually measure nor did she have to wear it overnight. 

As such, I would guess for most people with these types of health problems that need occasional monitoring, the Apple Watch oximeter is just fine. If you have a health problem that needs continual monitoring, then obviously an Apple Watch isn't up to the task, and nor is an off-the-shelf oximeter. You'll probably be in hospital.
    AllMwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    1348513485 Posts: 354member

Apple hasn’t ever paid fees to Masimo. That was the point.  Also, the point of the patent system was to protect small companies like Masimo from pillaging and theft from large corporations like Apple.  
    No, the point of the patent system was to protect an invention from infringement by another invention or commercialized product, whether owned by an individual inventor or a company. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Kiani's ultimate fantasy is to dominate the wearables market, which is never going to happen. Also know Massimo never licenses their technology. The thing is, there are many ways to make the measurement. 

Kiani is bitter and pissed Apple cherry picked his engineers
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    AllMAllM Posts: 70member
    Xed said:
    LenardH said:
    If he says Apple's does not work then their patent technology does not work since they claim Apple took it. 
    My default yes it runs twice a day on the Apple Watch, but people know if the want to check they can.
    Battery life on an Apple Watch running all day, not going to work.
    Personally I think the CEO is pissed off for the loss of employees and now no fees from Apple, HA HA
    Apple hasn’t ever paid fees to Masimo. That was the point.  Also, the point of the patent system was to protect small companies like Masimo from pillaging and theft from large corporations like Apple. 
    1) Masimo isn't small.
    2) Your comment seems to imply that all larger companies should be railroaded by small companies with mostly invalidated patents. The only thing that kept Masimo's case from completely losing is one and only one juror not siding with Apple causing a hung jury.

Bribed their way through?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,057member
    My guess is that Kiani knows he gambled on a shakedown that’s going to get him nothing and will cost him dearly. 

He’s made money from strong-arming settlements in the past, but at the end of this one, he’ll have his own legal costs, and quite possibly Apple’s as well. Next, when his board reviews how this went, he may find it difficult to get a job managing a Wal Mart. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra