References to 'homeOS' resurface in tvOS 17.4 beta

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 30

Code references in the first developer beta of tvOS 17.4 to "homeOS" could be an indication that Apple is working on a new operating system aimed for use within a person's home.

Apple's Home app icon
Apple's Home app icon

The developer betas of Apple's operating systems often include references to unannounced or soon-to-launch products. In an inspection of the latest developer beta for tvOS 17.4, there appears to be some for an unreleased operating system.

References uncovered by MacRumors mention "homeOS," an operating system that appeared in a pair of job advertisements in June 2021 and November 2021. In both cases, homeOS is named alongside iOS, watchOS, and tvOS, before being altered after reports spotted the term's usage.

Outside of the references, there's no indication as to what exactly homeOS will be used for, aside from the name hinting at the environment where it will be probably used.

Apple already operates HomeKit, its smart home framework, which seems like a logical usage for the homeOS name. There's also HomePod, which runs on HomePod Software, a modified form of tvOS, which could potentially get a rebrand with the release of future devices.

There have also been rumors of Apple introducing a HomePod with a seven-inch display, that could be potentially used as a smart home display. Furthermore, there's even been suggestions of an Apple monitor acting as a smart home display when not actively being used with a Mac.

Short of an introduction at an Apple event or during WWDC, it seems unlikely there will be any closure on what homeOS is in the short term.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Hopefully this is an opportunity for Apple to re-enter the home wi-fi network market - obviously synergistically combining wifi-fi mesh (probably using WiFi 7) , bluetooth and FindMe to both map (spacial computing) and provide high speed communications between IOT (internet of things).  
    AppleZulucg27Alex1N
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Let’s hope — Home has been stagnant for far too long. Would love to see homeOS paired with whatever new LLM work Apple has been cooking.
    williamlondonhammeroftruthAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    emoeller said:
    Hopefully this is an opportunity for Apple to re-enter the home wi-fi network market - obviously synergistically combining wifi-fi mesh (probably using WiFi 7) , bluetooth and FindMe to both map (spacial computing) and provide high speed communications between IOT (internet of things).  
    This is what I've been hoping since they got out of the wi-fi network market. That move just never made sense. Just as HomeKit was trying to go mainstream and as Apple was doubling down on data security as the thing that sets them apart, they ceded the heart of data security in the home - the home wireless network - to other companies and discontinued their AirPort line of routers. 

Since they reversed themselves on the decision to cease production of the OG HomePod and came out with a second iteration of that, perhaps there's hope they'll make a splash this year and introduce Apple wi-fi mesh routers. 
    Scot1cg27Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Could be that Apple is simply going to update the name of the software that runs on HomePods.

It would be nice if significant improvements were in store, I'll wait until we see what actually happens. 
    designrScot1Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    It will be nice to see what happens now that Craig Federighi is in charge of Homekit. 
    There’s a lot of work to do, especially after the damage iOS 17 has done to a lot of people’s homekit setups. 

With how backwards HomeKit has devolved since iOS 17, I’m betting a rewritten system is in the works and iOS 17 is a stopgap. 
    I’m hoping that a new HomeKit with a better interface, will handle devices with more control and without the need of third party apps to setup devices and thus making it more secure for the homeowner. They’re probably also working with the Siri team to make Siri much more useable when using it with a homepod, or AppleTV.  There’s nothing more infuriating than having Siri ask you to ask it again what you wanted from your iPhone. Why can’t you just dictate the web query results instead of making me read it on my iPhone?

I just hope it makes its debut soon. I’m tired of a homepod in another room responding to my query when one which is right in front of me stays silent. 

williamlondonScot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    emoeller said:
    This. Fingers crossed.
    edited January 30 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13

stompy said:
    Could be that Apple is simply going to update the name of the software that runs on HomePods.

It would be nice if significant improvements were in store, I'll wait until we see what actually happens. 
    I do hope they make it actually work. I spent all day today fiddling and fussing with lights and plugs and wifi...most frustrating and disappointing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I’d just like to see Apple come up with some semblance of a device management utility that allows me to manage software and firmware updates on all of my Apple devices from a single console. It seems like the Home app could be a place to put it. 

I know it’s not an option for everyone, but once I moved all of my home networking infrastructure to Ubiquiti/Unifi  I would never want to go back to anything resembling the old Apple networking gear. Being able to upgrade various components like WiFi access points independently of the router and security gateway components is truly awesome. I really love PoE but realize it’s difficult for most folks to run Ethernet cables. 
    JanNLboxcatcherwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    AppleZulu said:
    emoeller said:
    This is what I've been hoping since they got out of the wi-fi network market. That move just never made sense. Just as HomeKit was trying to go mainstream and as Apple was doubling down on data security as the thing that sets them apart, they ceded the heart of data security in the home - the home wireless network - to other companies and discontinued their AirPort line of routers. 

Since they reversed themselves on the decision to cease production of the OG HomePod and came out with a second iteration of that, perhaps there's hope they'll make a splash this year and introduce Apple wi-fi mesh routers. 
    Absolutely spot on. 

AirPort and especially the AirPort utility were 'wireless for the rest of us'.

The concepts and hardware were there and just needed to be expanded on (the Express and Extreme routers, Time Capsule). 

They closed the division down just when everyone was beginning to use full on cloud services but still required local storage at home. 

A mesh line would have been perfect. 
    A router fit for this century would have been a perfect security shield running independently of local Macs and tablets. 
    A NAS of family sharing option to expand on what Time Capsule brought to market would have been perfect too. 

As for HomeOS I can see the logic but I think they need to unify their OS systems under one umbrella. 

The perfect solution would be something like Huawei's Whole House smart solution (now on version 4) with all of the above and much more (including FTTR and NearLink). 

They cost multiple thousands of dollars but is a great revenue stream option when paired with property developers who build entire buildings with the solutions pre-installed. 

That seems right up Apple's street. 

https://www.huaweicentral.com/harmonyos-connect-upgrades-with-new-intelligence-at-partner-summit-2023/

Sketchy Chinese to English translation here but it gives a decent overview of what can be done (AI included although not really touched on):

https://inf.news/en/digital/56c467e8d240f367ed7d1f5c8754fcc7.html

edited January 30
  • Reply 10 of 13
    avon b7 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    emoeller said:

Absolutely spot on. 

The concepts and hardware were there and just needed to be expanded on (the Express and Extreme routers, Time Capsule). 

They closed the division down just when everyone was beginning to use full on cloud services but still required local storage at home. 

A router fit for this century would have been a perfect security shield running independently of local Macs and tablets. 
    A NAS of family sharing option to expand on what Time Capsule brought to market would have been perfect too. 

As for HomeOS I can see the logic but I think they need to unify their OS systems under one umbrella. 

The perfect solution would be something like Huawei's Whole House smart solution (now on version 4) with all of the above and much more (including FTTR and NearLink). 

They cost multiple thousands of dollars but is a great revenue stream option when paired with property developers who build entire buildings with the solutions pre-installed. 

https://www.huaweicentral.com/harmonyos-connect-upgrades-with-new-intelligence-at-partner-summit-2023/

Sketchy Chinese to English translation here but it gives a decent overview of what can be done (AI included although not really touched on):

Not only routers, and wifi for the masses, but add in things like a 5G modem (!) and (dare I say it) offer home internet like t-mobile does with it. And add in an Apple branded, designed, and operated VPN service. This seems like something natural for Apple - providing convenient access via technology to things others have made (Music, TV, Movies, cell service, apps.) 

My house still runs on Apple Airports. They work yes, but the stuff connected to them often needs help. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I wonder if anyone else is struggling with this issue.  

I have an Aqara M2 hub that is configured for Matter.  I have about 10 devices connected through that hub.  After the 17.4 public beta 1 update, apple home no longer shows the M2 as connected.  Instead, all the devices show Updating or eventually No Response.  This is frustrating, of course.  

I have restarted the AppleTV and the M2 hub without positive results.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    eightzero said:
    avon b7 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    emoeller said:

Absolutely spot on. 

Not only routers, and wifi for the masses, but add in things like a 5G modem (!) and (dare I say it) offer home internet like t-mobile does with it. And add in an Apple branded, designed, and operated VPN service. This seems like something natural for Apple - providing convenient access via technology to things others have made (Music, TV, Movies, cell service, apps.) 

My house still runs on Apple Airports. They work yes, but the stuff connected to them often needs help. 
    Yes. I'm seeing lots of carriers offering 5G capable routers now. 

In its day, Airport Utility was an amazing piece of useful software. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    timrand said:
    I wonder if anyone else is struggling with this issue.  

I have an Aqara M2 hub that is configured for Matter.  I have about 10 devices connected through that hub.  After the 17.4 public beta 1 update, apple home no longer shows the M2 as connected.  Instead, all the devices show Updating or eventually No Response.  This is frustrating, of course.  

I have restarted the AppleTV and the M2 hub without positive results.  
    Just throwing this out there, but … maybe don’t run beta software for your smart home stuff? I mean, if you did this deliberately to test the beta, that’s one thing — but it seems like you weren’t expecting beta software to have issues, which is … well, I’d best just leave that hanging.

I think a lot of dedicated HomeKit users would tell you that there is a definite possibility of issues in released OS updates, never mind early betas.

I join with the other commenters that hope that HomeOS is a ground-up rewrite of the Home App and HomePodOS to keep the wide compatibility but otherwise strengthen, stabilise, and improve HomeKit.
    williamlondonXedwatto_cobra