Apple Vision Pro battery cable is removable if you try hard enough

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

The proprietary battery pack for Apple Vision Pro has a permanently attached cable, or so we thought, as a user with a SIM eject tool forced the cable free.

The external battery for Apple Vision Pro lies on a display table with the cable coiled around. An Apple logo is visible in the metal case.
Apple Vision Pro battery

Apple Vision Pro doesn't have a built-in battery to help cut some weight from the already hefty headset. Instead, it uses an external battery pack with a proprietary connector.

It was presumed that the cable connected to the battery wasn't removable, at least not easily, but Ray Wong of Inverse wiggled it loose with a SIM ejector tool. It seems a small hole next to the cable contains a lock that can be released when pressed, allowing the cable to be removed.

l used a SIM card push pin to "unlock" the cable connected to the Apple Vision Pro battery pack. It popped right out. pic.twitter.com/tShScpMlvr

— Ray Wong (@raywongy)

The cable isn't meant to be removed by users, and even if a user does remove the cable, there isn't anything that can be accomplished with it. The cable looks like an oversized Lightning connector with twice the pins of the original.

AppleInsider highly recommends that users do not attempt to remove the cable from their Apple Vision Pro battery. If the cable or connector is damaged, it will mean a call to Apple Support and a fee.

Apple Vision Pro launches on February 2. Review units have been in the wild for over a week, and initial opinions on the product have been mixed.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I wonder if the cable frays but the battery is still good if Apple will allow the user to just replace the cable.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 216member, administrator, moderator, editor
    I wonder if the cable frays but the battery is still good if Apple will allow the user to just replace the cable.
    That counts as a service repair which I believe is $30 with Apple Care
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I hope this doesn’t prevent third party battery solutions.  I think a good setup would be a box/pad with a built in battery, where you can just swap out existing Mag Safe battery packs.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The cable on the original HomePod wasn’t meant to be removed either, but several early users managed it. 

chasmlolliverForumPostwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    Wow! That's a Lightning style connector with 12 pins. So, it could be a Lightning connector that can support USB 4 and TB4.

Now, let's see the connector on the other end. I saw a very brief view of the connector and saw some push-pin balls, but wasn't good enough of a view to determine how many.

If it truly is 12, that means you can have a USB4/TB dongle for it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12

Afarstar said:
    The cable on the original HomePod wasn’t meant to be removed either, but several early users managed it. 
    The VP cable is meant to be removed from the battery. You just need a pin to release it. You shouldn't be pulling hard. Once again, the article title is misleading you.
    ForumPostdanoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,685member
    I want to see the ifixit teardown of the VP.  
    grandact73williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,523member
    What the ... it's almost as if Apple intentionally designed this so the cable is more easily replaceable.

Of course they did.

But it's still not "intended" for end-user replacement ... cough cough, lest they be set upon for not making it USB-C.
    edited January 31 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    clexmanclexman Posts: 210member
    I'm willing to bet the headsets are plugged directly into an AC adapter at Apple stores.

This feels like a workaround for the laws in in countries that require standardized power cables. It also locks out 3rd party adapters and accessories unless an Apple tax is paid.
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Will the EU demand the connections for  Vision Pro need to be USB-C also?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    No. The EU policy is a standard for charging, and you use USB-PD with a USBC connector to charge the Vision Pro.

Apple has likely serialized, or coded, the Vision Pro battery to prevent someone from making a battery compatible with its 12-24 pin Lightning connector.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,089member
    tht said:
    No. The EU policy is a standard for charging, and you use USB-PD with a USBC connector to charge the Vision Pro.

Apple has likely serialized, or coded, the Vision Pro battery to prevent someone from making a battery compatible with its 12-24 pin Lightning connector.
    As they should for something that cost that much.....
    watto_cobra