People are already forgetting their Apple Vision Pro passcodes, requiring a trip to Apple

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro users don't have any recourse for forgetting a passcode beyond visiting an Apple Store or shipping their headset off to be reset.

An eye is shown with lights shining on the iris for Optic ID in Apple Vision Pro
Optic ID is used for most things, but a passcode is still required

Apple prides itself in providing secure devices locked down by biometrics and passcodes. However, human error gets in the way of any security protocol, no matter how many safeguards may exist.

According to
a report from Bloomberg, Apple Support lines are receiving "a lot" of complaints about forgotten passcodes. An anonymous source says support staff have been told to advise users that an in-store or mail-in fix is all that is possible.

Other products like the iPhone can be reset by being connected to a Mac and placed in Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) mode. The customer can even reset the Apple Watch if a passcode has been forgotten.

One Apple community forum member shared their experience when calling Apple Support with the issue. The support agent complained, "he's had to deal with a lot of angry customers after telling them their only recourse is to return to the store."

Apple Vision Pro requires a six-digit passcode at setup before Optic ID is enabled. Users can opt out of using a passcode, which eliminates the ability to use biometric options for security and login.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    Surely there’s something more interesting to write about than some people forgetting their passwords?
    iOSDevSWE
  • Reply 2 of 11
    doesn't surprise me. most people are idiots when it comes to their passwords. they deserve a trip or call to apple 
    Anilu_777badmonkiOSDevSWEwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    The situation seems to have a very klunky solution. Too klunky even when the customer is 'at fault'.

I'm surprised a more convenient solution hadn't been baked into the user experience. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Authorized service centers can’t do it?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,818member
    Respite said:
    Surely there’s something more interesting to write about than some people forgetting their passwords?
    You have an issue with a simple PSA announcement for a trend they've noticed days after the launch of a new product category from Apple? If one person decides they should record their PIN in secure location then I think the article was effective. But you just keep on complaining about an article you elect to read and then comment on.
    jSnivelyGabywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,818member
    avon b7 said:
    The situation seems to have a very klunky solution. Too klunky even when the customer is 'at fault'.

I'm surprised a more convenient solution hadn't been baked into the user experience. 
    I do agree that not being about to reset the device on your own is a problem. Even doing so via iCloud with the connected visor seems like a good way to let uses recover a device with relative ease.

I haven't seen any info about a USB-C access port and I don't think the charging port allows for any data to be transferred.

I think most people forget that all biometrics are a secondary form of security and that something you know will always be stronger than something you are.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    Xed said:
    Respite said:
    You have an issue with a simple PSA announcement for a trend they've noticed days after the launch of a new product category from Apple? If one person decides they should record their PIN in secure location then I think the article was effective. But you just keep on complaining about an article you elect to read and then comment on.
    Sorry, didn't mean to trigger you.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    avon b7 said:

I have a more elegant solution: suggest people should write their passcode in a note on their iPhone. And if they want to be really secure, lock the note with Face ID.

Seems like a no-brainer... then again, some people actually have no brains.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    lotones said:
    avon b7 said:

I have a more elegant solution: suggest people should write their passcode in a note on their iPhone. And if they want to be really secure, lock the note with Face ID.

Seems like a no-brainer... then again, some people actually have no brains.
    There are plenty of easy solutions but the point is that this is something good system design should cater for in a simple way. 

Requiring users to visit an Apple Store isn't the most elegant of solutions. 

We are entering an era of multi device authentication where various devices can contribute to the process. 

Unnecessary hassle is not a good solution even if the root cause is a user with 'no brains'. 
    edited February 6 muthuk_vanalingamlotones
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I understand how Apple could expect that people would remember their passcodes, given 99.9999999999999% of people already have a cell phone and they'll just use the passcode from that. Still, there should really be a way to reset it using another device on the same Apple ID.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Not only is AVP a solution looking for a problem

but

ABP is a problem looking for a solution!

🤣🤪

(I do think it has excellent vertical market potential and is a fun and expensive plaything in reference to my first statement above)
    williamlondon