'Foundation' cast and crew sent home as production delayed

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ drama "Foundation" should have resumed filming for season 3, but production has been shut down while issues including lowering its budget are being discussed.

Foundation poster (Source: Apple TV+)
Foundation poster (Source: Apple TV+)

"Foundation" had already seen its third season
production interrupted by the Writers' Guild and SAG-AFTRA actors' union went on strike during 2023.

According to Deadline, production was due to resume this month, with around two-thirds of the season still to be shot. However, cast and crew arriving in Prague and Poland for filming have reportedly been sent home.

Deadline says that unspecified production issues are being worked out, and also that the budget is being brought down. Previously, it was reported that Apple TV+ was spending $5 million per episode, with each season having 10 editions.

Pushing back a start date after booking cast, crew, and at least undertaking some location logistics with everything from cameras to hotels, is clearly expensive. It's likely, then, that the show's budget reduction could be significant.

If so, it's then also likely that the series will require rewriting, which could mean a significant production delay.

Separately, Apple TV+ drama "Silo" was similarly shut down during production because of the strikes, but it has resumed filming its second season. Star and executive producer Rebecca Ferguson has revealed that filming is scheduled to finish on March 8, 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Foundation was a fair try, but it needed far better writing to survive — though at least it wasn't Rings of Power level bad writing. Silo hopefully has a much brighter future, that was an excellent and reasonably faithful adaptation.
    ramanpfaffwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    prolineproline Posts: 223member
    Makes sense. It’s boring and slow moving. The only story line that’s any good is the emperors, and that’s the one that has the least to do with the book. Only the special effects are original. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Kinda sad to hear. Apple was really hoping this would end up being TV+'s Game of Thrones with how they hyped it up. But that first season was a real disappointment. Season 2 was way better, but I think hype mostly died off after Season 1. Apple TV+ has a severe viewership issue, and with how expensive Foundation supposedly is I can't see this going past this 3rd season.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    It was the only show on Apple TV that I enjoyed, however the writing was slow and ponderous, they need to get new writers in!
    Day is the best character by far and I love his right hand robot lady.....the rest of the story line and characters are a bit Meh.
    Still, a bit sad the 3rd season isn't coming 😏
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,090member

I watched the entire first season of Foundation the special effects and the look were great (like I knew they would be) could not move on to the second series, the story line is like Star Wars, or the later on non original Star Trek, it tries to hit home runs and fails it isn’t in the same league as a Quiet Place, Bird Box, Hellbound, Gyeongseong Creature, Ragnarok (1st season) where a storyline arc is told in a matter of fact way with great characters thru-out without the blockbuster grandstanding.

Note: the Quiet Place is the only one that might be able keep the magic going the previews of the third version look very promising John Krasinski writer/director proving to be a very good filmmaker with this series of movies.

edited February 9 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I thoroughly enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 and am waiting with anticipation for the third.

Slow moving (which had never crossed my mind) is no bad thing. Watch a modern blockbuster, pop video, concert video. Chop-chop-chop - speed up, slow down, change angle, zoom in, edit, cut, zoom in, zoom out, pan and on and on. It’s utterly exhausting. Even an interview with a single person talking to a camera these days can’t hold on their face, as it would if you were in front listening to them, but switches to a left side view, then a right, then centre, then left. It’s as though they can’t just stop playing with their toys.

A story that has takes its time to unfold is just fine by me.
    gregoriusmwilliamlondonlibertyandfreeroundaboutnowblastdoorsphericking editor the grateBart Ylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Season 1 was slow and seemed to have little forward plot movement. Season 2 was a major improvement. Almost every aspect of the series got better. The final episodes of season 2 were very strong. Definitely deserves a season 3. As Jason Snell said on the podcast the tv series is set in the world of Asimov’s book. It is not a literal adaptation any more than Westworld or Pirates of the Caribbean. 
    king editor the grateBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    Foundation has been thoroughly enjoyable from the writing to the acting to FX, but I’m also not one who lives for quick TikTok videos for entertainment. To each their own… I guess.
    libertyandfreewilliamlondonroundaboutnowsphericBart Y9secondkox2lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I thoroughly enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 and am waiting with anticipation for the third.

Slow moving (which had never crossed my mind) is no bad thing. Watch a modern blockbuster, pop video, concert video. Chop-chop-chop - speed up, slow down, change angle, zoom in, edit, cut, zoom in, zoom out, pan and on and on. It’s utterly exhausting. Even an interview with a single person talking to a camera these days can’t hold on their face, as it would if you were in front listening to them, but switches to a left side view, then a right, then centre, then left. It’s as though they can’t just stop playing with their toys.

A story that has takes its time to unfold is just fine by me.
    Excellent and couldn’t agree more.  
    blastdoorBart Ylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,408member
    40domi said:
    It was the only show on Apple TV that I enjoyed,
    You either have extremely narrow tastes (there are a half-dozen other Sci-Fi shows on TV+, fer cryin’ out loud), or you just haven’t looked at the service beyond your keyword search for “Foundation.”

EVERY show on AppleTV+ is pretty great, though some don’t speak to my interests. For example, I don’t really waste much time on sportsball, but the times I have sampled it I found the videography to be excellent, the commentators refreshingly interesting, and of course Lionel Messi is a phenom for a reason. Every show on this service is ridiculously gorgeous-looking and (IMO) thoughtfully cast, written, and realised.

I have an ever-lengthening list of shows that look like I’d like them (or I know I’d like them because I’ve sampled an episode or three) — for me it’s a question of finding the time to watch TV. If it wasn’t for Doctor Who (not on Apple TV+) and the classic films on Criterion, I could happily drop those services and just pay for Apple TV+.

I encourage you to expand your view a bit and try out a few more shows on TV+, I’ll bet you’ll find something you enjoy without much trouble.
    williamlondonBart Y9secondkox2lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Easy fix for the scriptwriters. Just introduce a Galaxy-wide virus called GALVID-19. Everyone wears masks and takes precautions by using hologram conferencing software. Gatherings of over 5 are prohibited. It wouldn't have any negative impact on Seldon's mathematics, unless viral behaviour was not accounted for in the plan.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    blastdoor said:
    I hope the third season doesn’t end up like the third season of TOS Star Trek. 

Although … that would mean we get Space Hippies!

”*one*”
    Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I disagree with those panning the show. First of all, for half the cost of a mediocre movie, we're getting a season of this show. And if you spent any time listening to the companion podcast, a lot of choices made for the production make a lot of sense. The fact it doesn't follow the book closely makes sense, even Asimov said the story would require major reworking to be a successful translation to the screen. I hope they don't have to cut much budget-wise. It's a gorgeous show, and I found it very entertaining. To each their own. I tend to lean towards science-fiction that requires a lot from the reader. I like being challenged. (Which leads to my overthinking it sometimes, but I don't think so in this case.)
    king editor the gratewilliamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Foundation is the best show I have seen on TV in a very long time.  it is truly NEXT LEVEL and I can't  think of anything that is the same caliber .. ever. Silo was depressing and annoying - the season ending was such a letdown.  If they need to save money cancel Silo season two - it's pointless garbage.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Man I really wanted to get into Foundation. gave it a shot and just couldn't do it anymore. Most of the characters aren't watchable. The cast is annnoying, the pacing os slow as heck, and it's pretty dang BORING. It hahd such promise. Hopefully, they keep the show, but make major changes in terms of producer, director, some cast, and writers.

Find a way to make payoffs matter from episode to episode. I get that it's a "long game" type of show, but dang, even when something has been building to a point, that point just isn't satisfying. 
    edited February 11