Apple Vision Pro Travel Case review: too-expensive precision cushioning

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 214member, administrator, moderator, editor
    FYI: 15L is the low end for a commuter sized bag. 25L to 35L are still consider commuter sized. At any rate, my Dakine Mission 15L from 12 years ago can do 6.5" of books + laptop + EarPods + chargers. The interior dimensions they give for those bags is the non-stretched dimension. 
    Right, but what does that bag hold if you're adding in the Apple Vision Pro Travel Case? I'm assuming you're removing the books leaving just your laptop, chargers, and Travel Case. If you're ok with that, fine, but it's not a good experience when there are cases that take up half the volume, which would enable your same backpack to hold much more including the Vision Pro.

I'll reiterate, if you're carrying a bag that can only hold Vision Pro and very little else, what purpose is the travel case serving? To be fair, this would have jumped up to 3 stars easily if that strap could be adjusted into a shoulder sling.

(I have no idea why you're explaining bag sizes to me. And no, if you're "commuting" with. a 35L bag, you're doing commuting wrong. That's like a weekend travel bag, not a trip to the office. Might as well carry an iMac on your back.)
    edited February 16 muthuk_vanalingamdewmenubusfastasleepmacgui
  • Reply 22 of 41
    We acquired the Vision Pro to revolutionize our visualization environment, projecting LiDAR point clouds of highway infrastructure asset data for DOTs nationwide. I purchased the case to safeguard the device during frequent travel. Over the last two weeks, I took multiple 2-day trips with the VP securely stored in my North Face Router backpack, alongside a 15-inch MacBook Pro, an 11-inch iPad Pro, cables, power bricks, toiletries, and clothing. Remarkably, the backpack passed as a personal bag on both Frontier and United flights. Despite its puffy white exterior, which I anticipate will quickly accumulate dirt, the case provided excellent protection. Its quick accessibility allowed me to showcase the Vision Pro's potential to hundreds of attendees at a recent major Geospatial conference in Denver. Beyond my scheduled presentation, I readily conducted impromptu demonstrations using my MacBook or iPad as a display.

I realize that I am using the Vision Pro case in a more aggressive manner than most owners will but it was available on day one, it worked well for my travel and met my expectations. From someone who has actually used it in the real world, I give it a four out of five thumbs up. 
    danoxdewmeegold44nubus
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 214member, administrator, moderator, editor

I realize that I am using the Vision Pro case in a more aggressive manner than most owners will but it was available on day one, it worked well for my travel and met my expectations. From someone who has actually used it in the real world, I give it a four out of five thumbs up. 
    That's great! And if we were writing the review for you, we'd have given it 4 stars too. The rating system has to cast a wide net.

The rating system doesn't even indicate product quality unless we specifically call it out in the review. It's mostly about how well we can recommend something based on price, competitiveness, and features. I even say it in the review that I *like* the bag. you're right, it's nice for storage and quick to open and get the device running.

But I think its size makes it impractical. I'm glad it fit in your carry-on with what you needed, but there are cases that take up half the volume. If there weren't smaller cases available and this was literally the smallest you could get, our rating would increase because we're not going to ding it for not defeating the laws of physics.
    muthuk_vanalingamdewmefastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Alex Ziskind just put his in an inexpensive Husky brand case from Home Depot.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    Alex Ziskind just put his in an inexpensive Husky brand case from Home Depot.
    MIne's in a first-generation Oculus Rift case.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Wesley Hilliard said: The rating system doesn't even indicate product quality unless we specifically call it out in the review. It's mostly about how well we can recommend something based on price, competitiveness, and features. I even say it in the review that I *like* the bag. you're right, it's nice for storage and quick to open and get the device running.

But I think its size makes it impractical. I'm glad it fit in your carry-on with what you needed, but there are cases that take up half the volume. If there weren't smaller cases available and this was literally the smallest you could get, our rating would increase because we're not going to ding it for not defeating the laws of physics.
    The obvious issue with what you're saying: there aren't any other cases that are providing the same things as Apple's case. The Waterfield case (which is also $200) requires disassembly of the AVP and doesn't allow for a protective cover over the glass of the visor. The unprotected glass is also right up against the side of the case which makes it more vulnerable to drops/impacts. So that case is abandoning a number of functions/features in order to market itself as being smaller. Apple's case includes room for a protective cover for the glass visor AND has padding all around it + thicker outer case. It's obviously more protective than any other product currently for sale on the market and more convenient in terms of just taking the AVP out to use. You're trying to say the size has no purpose versus other products when it definitely does.

j

edited February 16 StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 41
    I'm still waiting for a review of an Apple product that doesn't begin with its price being over the top! Whose top? Even sites with multi-million dollar gear and well-paid, talented associates ignore what they've spent to critique (criticize) Apple! No shortage of cynics here. I've been using Apple gear for nearly 32 years, and in that time Apple's over-the-top priced equipment has made me a very wealthy man! If their products are too expensive for your needs, buy whatever fits those needs and your budget, but keep in mind the old meme "You get what you pay for".
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 41
    The suitcase is a super helpful comparison. Is it possible to post a picture of that to help us gauge that?
  • Reply 29 of 41
    I mean it fulfills its purpose of storing and protecting the AVP. 
  • Reply 30 of 41
    The travel bag is a lot like the Vision Pro itself:

it’s awkward, it requires your careful attention, it takes over rather than fitting in, and isn’t as useful as you thought it might be. 

It’s a match. 
    M68000muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 41
    nubusnubus Posts: 464member
    I'm still waiting for a review of an Apple product that doesn't begin with its price being over the top! Whose top? Even sites with multi-million dollar gear and well-paid, talented associates ignore what they've spent to critique (criticize) Apple! No shortage of cynics here. I've been using Apple gear for nearly 32 years, and in that time Apple's over-the-top priced equipment has made me a very wealthy man! If their products are too expensive for your needs, buy whatever fits those needs and your budget, but keep in mind the old meme "You get what you pay for".
    A lot of products from Apple deliver value. But some don't. This isn't the first accessory to be terrible value or outright terrible. Polishing cloth, wheels for Mac Pro, "smart case" for AirPods Max, "FineWoven" for iPhone 15-series, and now this. Thanks to the reviewer for holding Apple accountable.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Got the Sarlar Meta case on Amazon, it works really well for the Vision pro, just move the velcro bottom form so the curved goggles are on the curved case face. Has holders for the battery too. And it's cheap and probably smaller than the Apple case too.

edited February 18
  • Reply 33 of 41
    ralphbu said:
    Got the Sarlar Meta case on Amazon, it works really well for the Vision pro, just move the velcro bottom form so the curved goggles are on the curved case face. Has holders for the battery too. And it's cheap and probably smaller than the Apple case too.

These types of cases are probably fine if you only use them to store the AVP at home. Inferior protection level for travel/commuting. They're made for the plastic headsets like Meta not the aluminum/glass AVP. 
    edited February 18
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Travel involves vibrations. Car, bus, plane... they all vibrate. I bet you the plushy exterior is specifically designed to absorb those vibrations so that the precision engineering of the Vision Pro is not affected.
    StrangeDaysdanox
  • Reply 35 of 41
    neoncat said:
    Two stars is way too negative 
    Nah. One of those stars I'm sure was the "we're an Apple fan site so it gets one star for free." If anything, AI's review is deeply charitable toward such a silly product that fails at being anything but a look-at-me-I-spent-$3500 totem. That Apple insists on putting its stupid brandmark and even the name of the product on the outside should instantly make it a one star—fail. 
    The price butthurt is most amusing. The original Macintosh corrected for inflation cost over twice the price of AVP! For a black & white micro screen and zero network capabilities. In either case, if the value wasn’t worth the price for you, that’s fine. But plenty of people buy things you won’t. (Some people like expensive sneaker or handbag collections!)
  • Reply 36 of 41
    nubus said:
    A lot of products from Apple deliver value. But some don't. This isn't the first accessory to be terrible value or outright terrible. Polishing cloth, wheels for Mac Pro, "smart case" for AirPods Max, "FineWoven" for iPhone 15-series, and now this. Thanks to the reviewer for holding Apple accountable.
    Nah, you’re just failing to understand value is relative. For ex, I have the Fine Woven case on my 15 Pro, it’s working great — and without dreaded scratches (gasp!), because I don’t scratch it with my fingernail the way reviewers did. It’s aging from use as did my leather cases. Neither are museum pieces - they wind up as landfill in a few years, so not using animals for that is fine with me. 
    edited February 17
  • Reply 37 of 41
    neoncat said:
    Nah. One of those stars I'm sure was the "we're an Apple fan site so it gets one star for free." If anything, AI's review is deeply charitable toward such a silly product that fails at being anything but a look-at-me-I-spent-$3500 totem. That Apple insists on putting its stupid brandmark and even the name of the product on the outside should instantly make it a one star—fail. 
    The price butthurt is most amusing. The original Macintosh corrected for inflation cost over twice the price of AVP! For a black & white micro screen and zero network capabilities. In either case, if the value wasn’t worth the price for you, that’s fine. But plenty of people buy things you won’t. (Some people like expensive sneaker or handbag collections!)
    When home VCRs came out in the late 70s they were a $1,000 each and by the time they were discontinued they were about $30 each. It is just economies of scale.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 41
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,080member
    Solution don't buy it go cheap, my only problem with it is the color, it is impossible to keep clean like having a white interior in a car.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    The Vision Pro 'Suitcase' is as ridiculous as the AirPod Max 'Purse'.  The fact that it is so large that it barely fits into another bag, especially when trying to travel by plane.  It screams out, steal me!

Of course AR is a dead market and cult of Mac reported 76% return rate on VP.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,385member
    neoncat said:
    When home VCRs came out in the late 70s they were a $1,000 each and by the time they were discontinued they were about $30 each. It is just economies of scale.
    And VCRs became more compact without sacrificing features as time went on.

The AVP case doesn't need to be as large as it is to do what little it does. Maybe Apple will refine the case as time goes on making it more efficient. At the moment it appears to be designed mainly for presentation of the AVP, like the suitcase in Pulp Fiction, not an efficient travel accessory. This case would have never made it out Apple's R&D facility if Jobs were still alive.

https://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-threw-ipod-prototype-into-an-aquarium-to-prove-a-point-2014-11?op=1