EU antitrust chief remarks about $2 billion Apple Music fine ignores Spotify dominance

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 12

In an interview on Monday, the European Union antitrust chief said that its $2 billion fine on Apple Music was over obvious consumer harms leading to discovery issues -- despite Spotify holding more than twice the market share.

Spotify's App Store icon (left), Apple Music (right)
Spotify's App Store icon (left), Apple Music (right)

European Commission Executive Vice President Margrethe Vestager has been defending the EU's $2 billion fine, saying that it was specifically to punish past behavior and ensure Apple does not block developers offering cheaper alternatives to customers.

"[The fine is] the equivalent of 0.5% of global turnover, so obviously, this is not a fine that would sort of shake Apple as such," she told CNBC. "What it does is that it punish past behavior... and for the future, not to be able to say to their app developers, listen, you cannot tell your customers that there is a cheaper offer."

"I think it is quite obvious that there is consumer harm if consumers have no choice to find the cheaper offer of their favorite music streaming services," she continued. "There are music streaming apps on the Apple App Store, and of course you can choose to pay the 30% fee, but it would be good if you could also know that you can go to the services own website and get a cheaper offer, and that is what we are challenging."

"[If] you look at the price difference, because these app developers, they have no choice but to pass on the Apple fee to their consumers," said Vestager. "You see, there's a 30% price increase compared to the price increase and I think most people would agree that that kind of price increases, comparing to a cheaper offer, that is real harm to consumers."

CNBC asked whether Apple's claim that the EU has met with chief proponent Spotify 65 times during the investigation.

"Well, not personally, obviously, since I have a ton of other things to do as well," said Vestager. "But it is true that in every case we have, we work with market participants, which means that we have very, very, very good experience in figuring out what is real proof and what is just vested interest, and that, of course, is absolutely key."

"It will also go through the compliance of the markets act that we would want to hear from third parties," she continued. "Do they get what the DMA is supposed to give them, which is an open market where they can compete?"

Apple Music and an open market

It is true that Apple used to famously refuse to allow iOS app developers to communicate directly with their users, or especially to show them links to alternative, cheaper pricing. This anti-steering measure was surely not in the best interests of customers, but Apple has been forced to change it in the US.

Regarding whether firms such as Spotify are getting "an open market where they can compete," however, the EU does not seem to have figured out "what is real proof and what is just vested interest." For while Apple Music aims to be a competitor to Spotify, it is simply failing.

Different market analyses vary, but Apple Music is typically rated as the third or fourth most popular streaming music services. In every analysis, though, the number one choice is Spotify, and it's not close.

Even with its runaway global number one position, though, Spotify has been regularly posting a loss in its quarterly revenue reports. Consequently, Spotify needs to cut expenses and grow its business, both of which it could do if it can persuade the EU to prevent Apple charging it for in-app subscriptions.

"Fundamentally, their complaint is about trying to get limitless access to all of Apple's tools without paying anything for the value Apple provides," said an Apple spokesperson in a statement to AppleInsider in February 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    This is so wrong on so many levels. I think Ms. Vestager should be investigated. 
    hmurchisonAlex1Nrob53williamlondondarelrexlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    And the iPhone has a much lower market share than android in Europe, too. 

If apple’s HQ were in Paris I bet the EU would treat them very differently.
    Alex1Nrob53williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    That's because it was never about "consumer harm", but rather about bringing Apple to heel.

Simple.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    If you run a business of any size you recognize the hidden Governmental shakedowns.  There are "taxes" called everything but what they are. Taxes.  Apple's getting a bit of "You're an American company challenging a European company" Tax it seems. 
    Alex1Nlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Spotify only used IAP in the App Store for 2 years out of the 15 that they've been there. The EU is not only ignoring Spotify's market dominance, they're also ignoring 13 years of proof that Spotify's customers DID know that they could pay for the subscription on the internet. 
    NickoTTwilliamlondonjimh2lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31

Even with its runaway global number one position, though, Spotify has been regularly posting a loss in its quarterly revenue reports. Consequently, Spotify needs to cut expenses and grow its business, both of which it could do if it can persuade the EU to prevent Apple charging it for in-app subscriptions.

Less than 1% of Spotify's iOS subscribers paid via that App Store at the time of their official complaint to the EU. 
    williamlondontmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    More generally, this should be yet another lesson on why pursuit of market share dominance isn’t necessarily a sound business practice. 

Spotify doesn’t want to pay Apple for its platform and notoriously underpays the artists and songwriters who create its content and yet, while dominating streaming music market share, still can’t seem to turn a profit. 

One wonders if others will eventually have to fill the gap when Spotify goes out of business. 
    williamlondontmaylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 31
    And, of course, because Spotify doesn't have any money, where Apple has scads of it.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Well it's good that he said that Apple is punished for the past behaviour. I think laws does not have backward power and past behaviour can not be objected.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    dmitrek said:
    Well it's good that he said that Apple is punished for the past behaviour. I think laws does not have backward power and past behaviour can not be objected.

The U.S. has a legal quasi-doctrine commonly referred to as "ex post facto", and it basically means that one cannot be prosecuted for breaking a law that was not enacted until after one took an action addressed by the law.  There are other countries that do not follow this, and it hasn't always been respected in the U.S. either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    The EU is so hypocritical.

They make it out as though they are protecting the consumers by stopping the Apple monopoly. However they are literally creating rules that ensures their companies are able to make a monopoly on Apple’s platform.

Luckily I don’t live in the EU and can happily buy Apple Watches with blood oxygen sensors and have only the trusted AppStore to deal with.

Its great being at the bottom of the world and not having to deal with idiots creating monopolies they are trying to avoid.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    The EU is becoming a hell hole, they are punishing the winners.

Apple won and now they want their share.
    darelrexlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    The EU is becoming a hell hole, they are punishing the winners.

Apple won and now they want their share.
    You do know that there is more to the EU than legislation around Apple’s market share and App Store, don’t you?
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 31
    darelrexdarelrex Posts: 138member

"[The fine is] the equivalent of 0.5% of global turnover, so obviously, this is not a fine that would sort of shake Apple as such," [Vestager] told CNBC.

I don't think Apple is comparing the amount of this fine to its annual global revenue, but rather to its annual EU app store profits. That's not 0.5%; it's more like 130%.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    dmitrek said:

The antitrust legislation they violated has existed for decades.

There is absolutely nothing retroactive here. 
    The law existed, Apple broke it, someone complained, Apple got investigated and now gets punished. 
    The end (until appeal).
    avon b7williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 31
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member

darelrex said:

"[The fine is] the equivalent of 0.5% of global turnover, so obviously, this is not a fine that would sort of shake Apple as such," [Vestager] told CNBC.

I don't think Apple is comparing the amount of this fine to its annual global revenue, but rather to its annual EU app store profits. That's not 0.5%; it's more like 130%.
    Yeah, but that can't be the yardstick. "I have a trillion dollars, and I'm using my financial clout to fuck over competitors in this tiny market that doesn't really matter much to my financials — so my punishment needs to be appropriate to the piddling amount I make with my illegal behaviour, and not enough to, you know, actually punish me." 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 31
    spheric said:
    dmitrek said:

The antitrust legislation they violated has existed for decades.

There is absolutely nothing retroactive here. 
    The law existed, Apple broke it, someone complained, Apple got investigated and now gets punished. 
    The end (until appeal).
    So when is the EU going after Spotify? It clearly has a monopoly on the music streaming business, has squashed competition actively, and returns nothing to the artists.

Oh wait, that’s not going to happen because Spotify is a European business.
    darelrexlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    spheric said:

darelrex said:

Yeah, but that can't be the yardstick. "I have a trillion dollars, and I'm using my financial clout to fuck over competitors in this tiny market that doesn't really matter much to my financials — so my punishment needs to be appropriate to the piddling amount I make with my illegal behaviour, and not enough to, you know, actually punish me." 
    The reason it matters is because Apple doesn't have to forfeit its global income to get away from crazy new EU laws, only the portion that's earned in the EU. Apple also has made it very clear over the years that it doesn't sell any product or operate in any market where it can't make a profit. And Apple hasn't used its "trillion-dollar clout" to force the EU to do anything; Apple has applied the same rules everywhere in the world, for the entire sixteen-year existence of the App Store.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    [deleted duplicate posting]
    edited March 12
  • Reply 20 of 31
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    It would be interesting for Apple to lower the price of Apple Music to inflict some pain on Spotify. Some peoples decisions are based entirely on price so I would think they would switch. I am curios since software cannot patented (I think) what is keeping Apple from making a Spotify like skin for Apple Music. 
    watto_cobra