Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- everything you need to know

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 15

Thunderbolt 5 is set to make a splash in 2024, and Apple is likely to adopt the connection standard at some point in the future. Here's what has changed in Thunderbolt 5 vs. Thunderbolt 4.

Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- USB Type-C continues to be used.
Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- USB Type-C continues to be used.

As a connectivity technology, Thunderbolt is deeply associated with Apple, due to its usage in Macs and then, later, the iPad Pro. Many of its products now support Thunderbolt 4, with it providing massive amounts of bandwidth for data transfers, as well as handling charging and even video duties.

Just like many other standards in the tech world, Thunderbolt is iteratively upgraded over time with new features. While the world is on Thunderbolt 4 for the moment, Thunderbolt 5 is on the way, and promises to make big changes to what it can offer to users.

Intel previewed Thunderbolt 5 as an early prototype in October 2022, to demonstrate the speed benefits for file transfers among other items. By September 2023, Intel formally launched the technology, with expectations that hardware released in 2024 will use it.

Apple is not necessarily going to jump to adopt Thunderbolt 5 in its hardware in the short term. However, it is expected to incorporate the technology down the road at some point.

This is what differences users can expect to see when Apple does shift from Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 5.

Thunderbolt 4 versus Thunderbolt 5 - Main specifications

SpecificationsThunderbolt 5Thunderbolt 4
Connection TypeUSB Type-CUSB Type-C
Bandwidth80Gb/s bi-directional,
120Gb/s asynchronous
40Gb/s
Video CapabilitiesMultiple 8K
or 3 x 4K at 144Hz.
Up to 540Hz maximum
1 x 8K
or 2 x 4K at 60Hz
PowerUp to 240W,
140W mandatory support
Up to 100W
100W mandatory support

Thunderbolt 4 versus Thunderbolt 5 - Bandwidth

Thunderbolt 4, and Thunderbolt 3 before it, offered users the promise of high-speed data transfers. With 40Gb/s transfers, it allowed up users to easily shift files to and from external drives, making it attractive to content creators.

For Thunderbolt 5, the speed has gone up considerably, thanks to Intel's use of three-level Pulse Amplitude Modulation (PAM-3) signaling system and by the adoption of PCI-E 4 addressing rather than PCI-E 3.

In short, this can mean up to 80 gigabits per second of bi-directional bandwidth can be available to use, double that of Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4. This also technically supports the USB 4 2.0 80Gb/s specification as well.

Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- TB5 can offer up to 120Gbps of bandwidth [Intel]
Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- TB5 can offer up to 120Gbps of bandwidth [Intel]

However, it can offer up to 120 gigabits of bandwidth when used asynchronously. That is, it could offer a 120Gbps bandwidth pipe in one direction, and a 40Gbps feed in the other.

This asynchronous behavior isn't for normal data transfers, though. Instead, it's intended for use with video, expanding the video capabilities of the connection.

Intel also doubled the PCI Express data throughput using PCI Express Gen 4 x4, allowing for faster storage and external graphics usage.

Thunderbolt 4 versus Thunderbolt 5 - Video

Another part of Thunderbolt's utility is for video, since it can be used to handle video for multiple monitors. Thunderbolt includes DisplayPort 2.0 support, thanks to its USB 4 compliance, so it can run displays.

Currently, Thunderbolt 4 can manage a maximum of two 4K monitors, or in some configurations, a single 8K display. Due to limitations in bandwidth, users have to trade off between resolution and refresh rate, meaning they can be limited to only 60Hz when using two 4K screens.

Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- More bandwidth in TB5 means more displays and higher refresh rates.
Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- More bandwidth in TB5 means more displays and higher refresh rates.

Under Thunderbolt 5, the extra available bandwidth and support for DisplayPort 2.1 makes it far more capable of running more displays.

For example, three 4K-resolution displays can be run at 144Hz apiece. There's also support for multiple 8K displays to be run at the same time, and even the potential to reach 540Hz for a single display.

Thunderbolt 4 versus Thunderbolt 5 - Power

Thunderbolt cables can be used to deliver power between devices as well as data and video, and Thunderbolt 5 is no different.

Thunderbolt 4 could support up to 100W for charging devices. Under Thunderbolt 5, that limit goes up to 240W through a single cable.

Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- Thunderbolt 5 goes up to 240W, while TB4 sits at 100W
Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- Thunderbolt 5 goes up to 240W, while TB4 sits at 100W

However, you may not necessarily benefit from all of that 240W capability all the time.

Thunderbolt 4's standard included mandatory support by hardware for 100W charging. Thunderbolt 5 has a higher mandatory rate of 140W, with the 240W capable under the right combination of hardware and cables.

Thunderbolt 4 versus Thunderbolt 5 - Compatibility

Like USB, Thunderbolt offers backward compatibility with earlier versions, and even with USB itself.

Naturally, Thunderbolt 5 hardware will work with Thunderbolt 4 devices, running based on Thunderbolt 4 standards. You will not be able to run a Thunderbolt 4 device and benefit from the higher bandwidth of Thunderbolt 5, for example.

As Thunderbolt 5 is build on top of USB 4 2.0 as well as DisplayPort 2.1 and PCI Express Gen 4, it will work with hardware using those technologies, and earlier versions too.

Thunderbolt 4 was also compliant with the USB4 specification.

Thunderbolt 4 versus Thunderbolt 5 - Cables and labels

One area that could be a problem is an important one: cables.

So far, it is known that Thunderbolt 5 will work with existing passive cables used for Thunderbolt 4, at a length of up to 3.3 feet. Also, cables made to support USB4 will work, because of the direct cross-compatibility.

Beyond that, there's surprisingly little information published about cable compatibility, but it could become an issue, for similar reasons encountered under Thunderbolt 4. This chiefly includes labeling.

You can tell the difference between a Thunderbolt and USB-C cable, simply by spotting the little lightning bolt image. Determining whether that Thunderbolt cable is for 4 or 5 depends on if you see a 4 or 5 near that symbol.

Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- Not all cables have decent labels on them.
Thunderbolt 5 vs Thunderbolt 4 -- Not all cables have decent labels on them.

The problems here include how not every manufacturer puts that number on the cable. Then there's the passive 3.3-foot Thunderbolt 4 cables that will work properly with Thunderbolt 5, but won't be labeled as such.

We have discussed the trials and tribulations of securing a Thunderbolt 4 cable in the past, but unless there's a significant change in how cables are labeled, it will still be a headache for all involved.

Thunderbolt 4 versus Thunderbolt 5 - Faster, more power, maybe soon

For end users, Thunderbolt 5 offers significant improvements in terms of data throughput and power. More is usually better when it comes to tech standards.

The flexibility in how Thunderbolt 5 offers its bandwidth is key to its video capabilities. By shifting to an asynchronous connection, users can still enjoy data throughput at roughly Thunderbolt 4 speeds, but with significantly better video options.

Add in the usual backwards compatibility, and there's little for users to complain about.

That said, there's no guarantee that Apple will incorporate it in its hardware releases soon. The first real potential sighting could be WWDC if Apple introduces new pro-grade Macs, since creative industry users will want access to high-performance options.

Thunderbolt 5 is certainly a bleeding-edge standard, especially when put against the previous version. But as Thunderbolt 4 already offers a lot to consumers, the move to Thunderbolt 5 may not necessarily be that beneficial to the mass of users out of the gate.

Apple could well incorporate Thunderbolt 5 support into a future Mac in 2024. But, as Thunderbolt 4 and previous standards have shown, it could be years before the industry embraces it and Thunderbolt 5 becomes a more commonplace connection.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    My ideal setup is my Macbook Pro with one Thunderbolt 5 cable powering the macbook that connects to a 32" 8K monitor with a TB5 passthrough feeding another 32" 8K monitor both at 60Hz or better. The back of the monitor would have a 10GB ethernet port and 3 or 4 USB-C ports that would connect my microphone, webcam and time machine hard drive. One TB5 cable for power and all communication to my Macbook Pro would be amazing. Apple just needs to make a Studio Display Pro with those features when they release a new MBP with TB5.

edited March 14 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    HapHap Posts: 17member
    I've been waiting for this. All six TB3 ports on my M1 Studio Ultra are being used. I would especially like faster external storage (like PCIe5 nVME drives in a RAID0) for scratch space and I'm a huge sucker for screen real estate on my desktops. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    kmareikmarei Posts: 183member
    newsflash!
    thunderbolt  6 will have a speed of 160Gb/s 
    you heard it here first

DM me for my prediction of thunderbolt 7 speeds
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 22
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    Is it time to start putting a code on the connectors of these cables to show what specs they have?  We now seem to have many flavors of TB, USB-C and HDMI.   It’s a complete circus.  One looks at these various cables and wonders what they have.
    edited March 14 MplsPwilliamlondonjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    Maybe Apple can release both a 27" 4K Pro-Motion Studio Display and a new 32 or 36" 6K or even a 40" 8K Pro-Motion XDR display now. 
    mizhouwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Great breakdown
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Also… iMac 6k sounds great right now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    mizhoumizhou Posts: 16member
    Asynchronous has nothing to do with split speed. The correct is asymmetric transfer, when the speed is 120/40 and symmetric when the speed is 80/80. 

Asynchronous/synchronous has to do with timing. For synchronous transfers both the sender and the receiver have a common clock, which determines the transfer rate. With async transfers, start and stop bits are used or some other means to mark the start of a transfer. 
    bloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Labelling should be mandatory. 
    MplsPjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    My ideal setup is my Macbook Pro with one Thunderbolt 5 cable powering the macbook that connects to a 32" 8K monitor with a TB5 passthrough feeding another 32" 8K monitor both at 60Hz or better. The back of the monitor would have a 10GB ethernet port and 3 or 4 USB-C ports that would connect my microphone, webcam and time machine hard drive. One TB5 cable for power and all communication to my Macbook Pro would be amazing. Apple just needs to make a Studio Display Pro with those features when they release a new MBP with TB5.

Even better than your 32” 8K monitor would be 40” 8K.
    That could still retain “Retina” resolution at 220 pixels per inch.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,307member
    M68000 said:
    Is it time to start putting a code on the connectors of these cables to show what specs they have?  We now seem to have many flavors of TB, USB-C and HDMI.   It’s a complete circus.  One looks at these various cables and wonders what they have.
    The only small saving grace is that these days, most computer users don't need to bother with cables at all, and the 'pro' users that do need to deal with them are more technically sophisticated and can better manage the complexity. But it still sucks. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    M68000 said:
    Agreed. Everyone was gushing about “one port to rule them all.” Well great but now we have 50 cables for that one port and we can’t even te what that one port can do so the port is simpler but the overal situation is much more confusing. 
    tmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    MplsP said:
    M68000 said:
    Agreed. Everyone was gushing about “one port to rule them all.” Well great but now we have 50 cables for that one port and we can’t even te what that one port can do so the port is simpler but the overal situation is much more confusing. 
    The logos exist . Nevermind that that USB-IF doesn't appear to employ a graphic designer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    I doubt Apple will include it with the yet-to-be-released M3-based products including an upcoming Mac Studio and Mac Pro, but may well switch to it for the M4 series.

if they release new displays, they should strongly consider using TB5 so they can fully power the 16” MacBook Pro.  The TB4 displays cannot.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Connectivity innovation while keeping the same USB-C port?? A thing we would never see again in our lifetimes, according to many many complainers, with USB-C being the defacto standard in the EU . But yet here we are. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I may have missed this in the article, but as I understand it, the USB/Thunderbolt controller is built into the SoC silicon. For M3, that is a USB4/Thunderbolt 4 controller. So Thunderbolt 5 seems very unlikely for M3.

More likely M4 Pro/Max in June 2025 with Thunderbolt 5, and new displays when the Studio and Pro launch. 
    edited March 16 mizhouwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    hagar said:
    Connectivity innovation while keeping the same USB-C port?? A thing we would never see again in our lifetimes, according to many many complainers, with USB-C being the defacto standard in the EU . But yet here we are. 
    The "connectivity innovation" was primarily about e-waste reduction of wall warts, but somehow, even with a standard port, there will be myriads of USB C cables that will end up in e-waste due to customer confusion, more so than obsolescence.

Some of that is precisely down to poor labeling of cables for the consumer, and some is consumer education. 

Me, I have a TB4 card in a Dell 3660 PC, my most recent computer purchase, and I went with the highest bandwidth/ highest wattage cable. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intention of the EU, but there you are.

That there will be an even higher bandwidth cable available when I finally get around to an M4 Mac Studio is a given, but the 240 watt TB4 cable will most likely meet my needs even then.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    doggonedoggone Posts: 381member
    It's great that TB is going up to the next level.  Even better that USB-C will work with the same connection.

This is all great for the high end equipment, but basic drives and monitors still are stuck on USB or HDMI/DP (even VGA!!!).  It takes years for the industry to catch up.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    I may have missed this in the article, but as I understand it, the USB/Thunderbolt controller is built into the SoC silicon. For M3, that is a USB4/Thunderbolt 4 controller. So Thunderbolt 5 seems very unlikely for M3.

More likely M4 Pro/Max in June 2025 with Thunderbolt 5, and new displays when the Studio and Pro launch. 
    The Mac Studio and Mac mini is the last Macs to still get their M3 updates. Not many M3 models left before the M4 cycle starts. ;)

If they want to, they can put TB5 into an M3 Ultra Mac Studio by connecting a TB5 controller onto 4 lanes of PCIe 4. Intel's TB controllers typically have 2 ports on one TB bus, and if the same for TB5, a Mac Studio with M3 Ultra could have 2 TB5 ports. Enough to drive two 6K monitors at 60 Hz or one 6K XDR at 120 Hz. That's like $10k in monitors alone, assuming Apple updates the XDR. Or two 8K monitors at 60 Hz might be doable in the 120 gbit/s mode, need to do the math.

Narrow market. 240 to 360 Hz 4K gamers. Apple's market of 5K to 6K buyers who want 120 Hz.
    CurtisHighttenthousandthingsmizhouwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    tht said:

The Mac Studio and Mac mini is the last Macs to still get their M3 updates. Not many M3 models left before the M4 cycle starts. ;)

If they want to, they can put TB5 into an M3 Ultra Mac Studio by connecting a TB5 controller onto 4 lanes of PCIe 4. Intel's TB controllers typically have 2 ports on one TB bus, and if the same for TB5, a Mac Studio with M3 Ultra could have 2 TB5 ports. Enough to drive two 6K monitors at 60 Hz or one 6K XDR at 120 Hz. That's like $10k in monitors alone, assuming Apple updates the XDR. Or two 8K monitors at 60 Hz might be doable in the 120 gbit/s mode, need to do the math.

Narrow market. 240 to 360 Hz 4K gamers. Apple's market of 5K to 6K buyers who want 120 Hz.
    I wasn’t aware of this, but the M2 Mini is an example of Apple being able to adjust the USB4/Thunderbolt controller in the SoC. The M2 Air SoC, for example, only supports Thunderbolt 3, but the M2 Mini SoC supports Thunderbolt 4. 
    watto_cobra